sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

$140m? It'll be lucky to get $120m.

More likely sadly. $140-$150 million I want but with bigger films it will produce $120 million or so. But it should be more of a success than Dark Phoenix, that film smells underperformer but will have a better overseas performance than Godzilla probably.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The movie is awful, nobody is gonna be watching this in 2 weeks.

Not as awful as some people saying it’s awful just for the sake of it, lol. 😆

You think i might be stupid for supporting movies you absolutely consider awful & shit? 🙎🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

More likely sadly. $140-$150 million I want but with bigger films it will produce $120 million or so. But it should be more of a success than Dark Phoenix, that film smells underperformer but will have a better overseas performance than Godzilla probably.

140/150 would mean a 3x multi, that's impossible given how fan-driven/frontloaded godzillaKOTM is, plus it doesn't exactly have great reception from audiences.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Rocketman had a decent weekend multiplier, indicating it is indeed playing to an older audience, even going up on Saturday from a Friday that was boosted by two different days of previews. Bodes well for staying power.

Playing to an older audience does indeed signal a strong run for it. The next two weeks should be kind to it.

However, the latest installment in the Godzilla series didn’t extend its appeal beyond its male-driven fanbase. Boys and men accounted for 76% of opening weekend moviegoers, with 59% of that group clocking in over the age of 25. Studios want franchises to grow, or at least maintain, their audience over the course of new installments. It’s never a good sign when crowds dramatically shrink after only three iterations.

As popcorn season heats up, Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution, Jeff Goldstein, says it’s a “challenge and goal” for new audiences to find “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” “The movie is dependent on broadening beyond just the fanbase,” he said.

This was noticeable around here leading up to release. It was pretty clear there was very little interest from non-fans.

11 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not as awful as some people saying it’s awful just for the sake of it. You think i might be stupid for supporting movies you absolutely consider awful & shit? 🙎🏻‍♀️

I get what you’re saying but you’re on the wrong forum if you think people aren’t going to give their opinions on movies they don’t like. 

I can completely sympathize with how you’re feeling as I’m a big DC fan and love all of the movies (and we know how those were discussed here) but the bottom line is you just have to suck it up and move on or else it’s going to bother you non stop and it really isn’t worth the headache imo.

Just love what you love and hope for the best, it’s really the only thing you can control.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Everyone thinking Godzilla will have good legs is in for a rude awakening. 

Wait a minute. There are people who think Godzilla will have good legs? Did they escape from Arkham Asylum by any chance?

8 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Playing to an older audience does indeed signal a strong run for it. The next two weeks should be kind to it.

Exactly, expecting much more opening weekend from a musical biopic about Elton John in June in such a crowded market is a little foolish. Now the legs, that's where Rocketman will shine, not opening weekend. Anything between $80-120 million domestic and $200-300 million worldwide would be an absolutely amazing result for Rocketman. This was never going to be Bohemian Rhapsody, that much was clear from the start, regardless of just how much better the film is.

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Wait a minute. There are people who think Godzilla will have good legs? Did they escape from Arkham Asylum by any chance?

More so HOPING it’ll have decent legs... we’ll see

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Matt Damon would be campaigning for supporting actor with Bale lead actor. Same for Leo/Pitt.

Jonathan Pryce in a netflix film, you think that will set the Academy on fire?

Taron is good chances despite the release date. imo

Damon is first billed I think and Pitt would apparently be quite the category fraud, specially for an big actor.

Has for the release date, Kaluuya got in and Get Out was a February release, Mortensen got in with a small july release, it is rare but it certainly does happen. If you stay in the spotlight (and I imagine the Golden Globe will make sure of that) it is possible.

31 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Exactly, expecting much more opening weekend from a musical biopic about Elton John in June in such a crowded market is a little foolish. Now the legs, that's where Rocketman will shine, not opening weekend. Anything between $80-120 million domestic and $200-300 million worldwide would be an absolutely amazing result for Rocketman. This was never going to be Bohemian Rhapsody, that much was clear from the start, regardless of just how much better the film is.

Despite Elton John's popularity, Bohemian Rhapsody benefitted from a friendlier PG-13 rating, and a Star is Born had well more-known stars such as Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper than Taron Egerton and Richard Madden.

Even if it was going to be released during Oscar Season, it would do much worse with tougher competition. The summer release date is still good. If you want to take about bad release dates, it's Ma. While the OW is decent especially for that low budget, it definitely should have opened on Mother's Day (it probably would have opened $25M+) and push Poms or The Hustle and Brightburn to Labor Day Weekend. I think Child's Play would have opened much better either this weekend or last weekend instead of opening very close to Annabelle Comes Home (5 days before it? #ByeFelicia)

Godzilla: 93 OW, KSkull I: 61 OW, GKOM: 49

Diminishing returns huh?  Well it still came in #1 but to come under Skill Island with more Monsters and More Action, don't know what to say.  I guess Kong might be the boost it needs for the next film.  I also guess we can blame Aladdin, clearly WOM is spreading as it beat GKOM Saturday and Sunday.  We knew that Friday Bump wouldn't be that high as it was coming off the Holiday but Aladdin was pretty close to making this a ready showdown this weekend.  I think that number is just fine for "Rocketman" honestly considering all the competition.   "Ma" also did well against a lot of comp as well.   

Congrats to Keanu as Parabellum" cross over 200 Million Worldwide.  It's also Keanu's 7th 100 Million grosser domestically.  Endgame again has stabilized but these last dollars are clearly going to be hardest to get to this last Milestone.   Pika Pika is about 1 million away from overtaking Lara Croft for the Video Game Domestic Crown unadjusted.  Still some 35 million to take the worldwide crown from "Warcraft" which pretty much bombed domestically but was saved but the global audience.  Lastly the two Indie Holdovers "Brightburn" and "Booksmart" got hit with 70% and 52% drops.   Both films just aren't gaining traction in a blockbuster dominated summer season that's just going to get worst as more heavy hitters arrive in June.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Damon is first billed I think and Pitt would apparently be quite the category fraud, specially for an big actor.

Has for the release date, Kaluuya got in and Get Out was a February release, Mortensen got in with a small july release, it is rare but it certainly does happen. If you stay in the spotlight (and I imagine the Golden Globe will make sure of that) it is possible.

oh i could be mistaken I was under the impression that Bale was the main actor and Matt Damon was more a supporting role. I thought the same goes for Once Upon a time in Hollywood, thought Leo was main character, or at least bigger role than Pitt so if they were campaigning presumably they'd not want to be put forward in same category.

I dont really know much about either film.

Is it not correct though, that the studios if they're running campaigns would want to put their main actors in different categories?

Edited by Avatree

59 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not as awful as some people saying it’s awful just for the sake of it, lol. 😆

You think i might be stupid for supporting movies you absolutely consider awful & shit? 🙎🏻‍♀️

You should not be so emotionally invested in the opinions of others.

There s a reason superhero movies have become  the driving force of blockbuster movies.

The characters are interesting, tested in their comics format, and their unique abilities are a perfect match for CGI technology which means you have the best of both worlds :

- memorable, unique looking characters played by, hopefully, charismatic actors

- each superhero allows its own visuals, worldbuilding and CGI spectacle making them somewhat unique from each other. 

Spectacle and characters are linked by definition with superheroes.

They are super.

A perfect combination all studios are having a hard time to pull off outside of the superhero paradigm.

Which means superheroes have NOTHING to do with westerns and they will bury us all. 

Batman 34 and Iron Man 28 will be on the TV the day of your death.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

I mean look at at the

Fast and Furious

Mission Impossible

John Wick

movies

and tell me those characters aren't supehreroes now, more powerful then half of the Avengers.

Vin, Tom and Keanu understands that.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I mean look at at the

Fast and Furious

Mission Impossible

John Wick

movies

and tell me those characters aren't supehreroes now, more powerful then half of the Avengers.

Vin, Tom and Keanu understands that.

Around 5 and 6 they just said f it and made Hobbs and Toretto at least as strong as Cap