Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

8 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

A portion of them probably would have however there is no basis to your argument that it would have completely changed the box office results. And it also is a little silly to argue against people watching it on HBO Max who are paying for a subscription because all they are doing is paying for it in a different way. Like someone else said if people really wanted to go to the theaters to see the movies they would have gone to the theaters. Lots of people though are looking for ways to cut the theaters out of the equation and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just changing times and we simply have more ways now to pay for content then watching it at a theater. Don't hate on people who are spending money in a way that you don't want them to spend their money.

It just seems logical to offer it to these already paid customers 'after' giving it some breathing space in the theatres to make extra cash. 

• Like 1

Since we're not going to get new numbers for several hours, now might be a cool time to come watch a movie with the Film Club!

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

We're doing CHLOE ZHAO'S THE RIDER -- because:

1. Zhao Power.  Watch it and be as hyped as I am for Eternals.

2. More Importantly: Today is the Deadline for @The Panda's Top 50 Westerns List. So, watch our movie, and make your list, and send it over to Panda by midnight.  

And then by then more numbers should be in, and we can go back to dooms day prepping!

Captain America Dance GIF by Nerdist.com

• Like 2

Next week there will be a lot of delays. I have read the DHD article and that shit is just bizarre. Anthony is losing it with the spin.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

It just seems logical to offer it to these already paid customers 'after' giving it some breathing space in the theatres to make extra cash. 

THe thing though is that when people subscribe to something they have a bad habit of not cancelling it even if they don't use it much. There are definitely a portion of people who will subscribe to the streaming site because a new movie is on there. Something they likely wouldn't have done if the movie wasn't on there initially. If that person went to see the movie in the theater they would likely pay to see it once or twice and not bother with the streaming site because they already saw the movie. By subscribing to the streaming site though many of them will just keep their subscription going month after month to the point to where the studio will receive far more from them than if they only went to see it in the theaters once or twice.

10 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

In the long run though advertising their streaming service and gaining new subscribers is more financially viable for them then releasing it in theaters. A movie released in theaters has a very quick end to how much it will make yet people who subscribe to a streaming site because of that movie the studio will see the benefits from it for a much longer period of time. People who are big fans of the theaters don't like it but it does make a lot of financial sense to use new movies to advertise their streaming sites.

I take your point and that’s where we disagree. 

I don’t think the product carries as much meaning if it isn’t special to begin with. Being out there theatrically on the big screen vs just being another thumbnail amongst hundreds of others on day one - two totally different things. 

Then you’ve got the ongoing revenue of theatrical, renting, buying, streaming - which goes away if all people are doing is paying a sub every month. 

I get your perspective, I do. I just see it as akin to music acts only being heard on Spotify and never live. 

There’s no reason why the movies can’t make big money theatrically and then go on their studio’s streaming service x amount of weeks later. Or with a premium. 

Again, I’m not hating on how anybody spends their money. Yet I don’t see how there’s a future for $200 million big movies if they’re just going to debut on streaming services. 

we shall see! 

Edited by wildphantom

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Next week there will be a lot of delays. I have read the DHD article and that shit is just bizarre. Anthony is losing it with the spin.

I think he’s an AMC shareholder and he fears the worst.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

Ran out of likes but could not agree more.  COVID is going to get all of the blame but all COVID did was accelerate what was already happening in the industry.  Outside of the hyper hits like Endgame and Star Wars the industry was shrinking rapidly.

Not sure how much I would agree, here you could be right has the industry was becoming more and more opaque revenue wise with a growing part of them being movie +TV combined and almost impossible to split between the 2 (say Netflix revenues and now D+HBO monthly revenues)

But if we look at the last movies release pre-covid excluside the Marvel-StarWars-Disney live action remake stuff, all those movies had full future windows going on for them:

Jumanji: 800m

Knive out: 313m

Bombshell: 61m

Richard Jewell: 43m

Ford V Ferrari: 224m

Parasite: 254m

Jojo Rabbit: 87m

Joker: 1.07B

Midway: 127m

Once upon a time.... in Hollywood: 377m

1917: 366m

Little woman: 219m

Bad Boys for life: 424m

The Gentlemen: 114m

DoLittle: 251m

It was working a lot of the time, The Gentleman was Guy Ritchie highest non adjusted box office outside the giant franchise affair of all is career, an market where the Gentleman can go over 110m and the FVF, Little woman above 200m and the Knive Out, 1917 and Tarantino over 300m was not particularly shrinking versus say 2016 imo, maybe it stagnated after the WW explosion from new market around 2010-2015.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1194522/box-office-home-and-mobile-video-entertainment-revenue-worldwide/

2019 MPAA report:

https://www.mpa-apac.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/MPA-THEME-2019.pdf

First time global industry revenues went above $100b

If we look at studio, movie division revenues (WB had that At&t transition of how they calculate thing in 2018)

year Universal Sony (in millions of yen) Liongates Warner brothers
2012   446 2329.1  
2013 5.16B 422 2182.9 6119
2014 5.01B 434 1820.1 5839
2015 7.28B 447 1677.4 5143
2016 6.36B 409 1920.6 5612
2017 7.66B 449 1822.1 6038
2018 7.15B 436 $1,464.40 4002
2019 6.49B 475 1670.9 5978
2020 5.27B 271 $1,081.10  

It was not peak DVD era, with an non opaque industry revenues of over $80B, but the post dvd shrinking was stable and done I feel like.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

When and where are all these movies getting delayed to? There's no place for them to move, there's a massive production backlog that is costing studios money.

Exactly. As others pointed out in last weekend’s thread, we’re at the point where studios are going to have to just take the L and release the stuff they’ve sat on. If they were to wait for this magical point where the box office landscape immediately reverts to where it was in 2019, there’s no telling how long they’d be waiting.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Suicide Squad's numbers are only confirming that it had a lot of baggage to overcome in terms of approaching even 1/3 the opening of the 2016 movie in any scenario.

What where people thinking this could do in a non covid world?  To repeat what I am sure has been said a thousand times.

It went from PG-13 to R has that ever happened in a non horror franchise before? I mean its usually the other way round to chase those teen dollars.  

The first one had Will Smith.  This one no will smith and the marketing kind of made it appear they just replaced him with Idris Elba.

The first one had Joker this one had Polka Dot Man and Bloodsport.

This is coming off the quasi-sequel/spinoff Harley Quinn that disappointed and had an R rating.

This had a stupid confusing name. Call it at least Suicide Squad: Task force X

The first one had one of the better marketing campaigns this one is just what ever at best.

This did not have 4 dollar Tmobile tickets. 

The first one had a hit album that was number 1 on the album charts and went 2x platinum that had at least 4 different platinum singles including one that peaked at 2 on the top 40 and went 9x platinum. 

Basically, the first one had everything going for it.

• Like 1

The real question isn’t why BOP and TSS flopped, but how SS made 746 million despite being awful. Maybe the GA just doesn’t care about these characters and the first movie got lucky with its marketing? I saw TSS Friday and loved it but there was barely anyone else in the cinema, even compared to other movies I’ve seen during the pandemic.

I mean domestic box office aside, I see D+ PA as a good way for people (especially fans of a particular franchise) who are not comfortable going to the theaters due to the COVID situation in their countries or where theaters are shut, to actually purchase and pay for a film.

But the simultaneous release on HBO MAX does not help overseas box office at all, Countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, India - many many parts of Asia have theaters shut and everyone is pirating TSS this weekend; they don’t even have the option to watch it legally. 

Anyway I said this before and I will say this again; if Disney wants to experiment with an MCU film on D+, it should have been Shang Chi and not Black Widow. BW should have stuck with its May exclusive theatrical release date and SC in July (with PA if Disney wishes). The hype for SC vs BW is not the same league, not just domestically but overseas as well.

I spoke to a local high ranking employee of a cinema chain here in Singapore, she told me SC’s trailer was the worst trailer that she has seen from MCU and audience reaction is always muted when it airs in the theaters, the poster isn’t any better.

Matrix isn't getting annihilated anywhere or by any movie as long as it is good. If it gets 70%+ on RT, it will be the second biggest movie of the year. Not to the same level, but remember how Jurassic World and Incredibles 2 had generational collision leading to massive buzz? That's this. People have been talking about another Matrix movie forever, and it has real potential for political/social significance, PLUS the Keanu comeback. Lots going against it now obviously, but back before HBO Max and COVID when it was just on a summer weekend, I was predicting 130m OW for it. People underestimate the buzz on that as something long anticipated. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Jeff Sneider talked to someone who saw Dune in it’s entirety. The person dismissed it as a near three hour commercial for a sequel that does not exist. It’s going to be a train wreck. 

Isn’t this obvious concise if they split it in two? This movie is bombing. Overseas business will be pitiful especially. Dune should have been an HBO series. It doesn’t have a large enough fanbase for a 200m movie franchise. Sorry guys 

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

What where people thinking this could do in a non covid world?  To repeat what I am sure has been said a thousand times.

It went from PG-13 to R has that ever happened in a non horror franchise before? I mean its usually the other way round to chase those teen dollars.  

The first one had Will Smith.  This one no will smith and the marketing kind of made it appear they just replaced him with Idris Elba.

The first one had Joker this one had Polka Dot Man and Bloodsport.

This is coming off the quasi-sequel/spinoff Harley Quinn that disappointed and had an R rating.

This had a stupid confusing name. Call it at least Suicide Squad: Task force X

The first one had one of the better marketing campaigns this one is just what ever at best.

This did not have 4 dollar Tmobile tickets. 

The first one had a hit album that was number 1 on the album charts and went 2x platinum that had at least 4 different platinum singles including one that peaked at 2 on the top 40 and went 9x platinum. 

Basically, the first one had everything going for it.

The #1 reason this failed is because it was a sequel to a crap film where the hate for the original has only grown in the past five years unlike man of steel or to a lesser extent Batman v Superman ultimate edition which has aged like fine wine.  

COVID and hbo max are of course secondary factors. This could have easily hit the 35 million mark or even 40 if those two factors weren’t in play. Still, it would have made less than half of the original in its opening weekend. That’s embarrassing. Such a bad idea to make a sequel to this and name it the Suicide squad rather than something more creative. The producers have massive egos and they’re going to get fired. Nothing could bring me more joy. I hope att finally steps in and tells Hamada and Emmerich they’re leaving before Christmas this year! 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

No one knows exactly what is going t happen, at least as far as the US goes. it all depends on how the war with the Covid goes and that is very unpreditable.

I never would have guesses that resistence to the Vaccine would be as straong as it has been, or that it would become a political issue. GOd,  I hate the Antivaxxers.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Matrix isn't getting annihilated anywhere or by any movie as long as it is good. If it gets 70%+ on RT, it will be the second biggest movie of the year. Not to the same level, but remember how Jurassic World and Incredibles 2 had generational collision leading to massive buzz? That's this. People have been talking about another Matrix movie forever, and it has real potential for political/social significance, PLUS the Keanu comeback. Lots going against it now obviously, but back before HBO Max and COVID when it was just on a summer weekend, I was predicting 130m OW for it. People underestimate the buzz on that as something long anticipated. 

I’m as hyped for it as anybody, but I would never have pegged it opening to $130 million even in normal times. It’s all opinions though and I hope you’re right that it’ll be huge. 

I’m more in the camp that remembers how much the audience fell off for Revolutions, and the general mixed feelings most have for the sequels (I personally love them). 

It is going to be fascinating to see if it hits the heights. I hope so. 

Regardless, I hope they delay it until next summer so we get away from the HBO Max factor.