Eric Prime

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

Bond has an older demographic who is not ready to come back and might not ever come back since get have gotten conditioned to streaming/vod. We have seen it with many other adult dramas too. Doesn’t bode well for things like House of Gucci, King Richard and Nightmare Alley but we shall see. 

After my rant last night: I don't think Bond is suffering because of people being afraid to go back to the movie, and I think the general market is healthy and will remain so until another surge, COVID wise. I'm speaking to the larger trend of non-superhero movies being unable to breakout ever anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems like people in this thread don't realize that older audiences are far more cautious about Covid. It makes little sense to me to make long-term projections about movies targeted toward said audiences until we get sustained low case counts. 

Also, as far as superhero movies, most people are content to watch dramas and such on streaming. So if one wants the theatrical market to diversify, it would have to be non-superhero blockbusters doing the heavy lifting, and on average those have been inferior in quality to the superhero films, so it's not surprising that people gravitate towards superheroes. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

"Sources"

He's here on this exact same thread like the rest of us.

Careful who you insult, you're talking about the OG of OGs. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

Also, as far as superhero movies, most people are content to watch dramas and such on streaming. So if one wants the theatrical market to diversify, it would have to be non-superhero blockbusters doing the heavy lifting, and on average those have been inferior in quality to the superhero films, so it's not surprising that people gravitate towards superheroes. 

And also the "superhero movie" has more or less encompassed every type of genre that is viable for big tentpole films. 

• Like 3

‘No Time To Die’, Daniel Craig’s Final Bond Film, Targeting $60M Domestic Opening – Box Office

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-weekend-box-office-1234852700/

The wait is over as the 25th Bond finally hit U.S. movie screens yesterday grossing $23.3M, including $6.3M previews, on its way to a weekend of $60M at 4,407 theaters

Comscore/Screen Engine shows that 37% of No Time to Die‘s ticket buyers were over 45, proportionally a higher share than Spectre‘s 29%.

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Menor said:

Seems like people in this thread don't realize that older audiences are far more cautious about Covid. It makes little sense to me to make long-term projections about movies targeted toward said audiences until we get sustained low case counts. 

Really depends on the area you live in I guess. Where I live, everybody is over all of this Covid crap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

After all the talk of old audience not coming, waiting for demographic reveal later in the day. Spectre had 78% over 25, expecting NTTD to be around 80-85%.

Comscore/Screen Engine shows that 37% of No Time to Die‘s ticket buyers were over 45, proportionally a higher share than Spectre‘s 29%.

Well for all the talk of old folks not coming for it, NTTD will have same old folks watching it as did Spectre. The problem is that younger people have no interest in BOND, which is what I have been saying since last few days.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

‘No Time To Die’, Daniel Craig’s Final Bond Film, Targeting $60M Domestic Opening – Box Office

It's been 5 years since Specter - people age.   But that shows older people did go, it's that not enough younger people did.   That points more to an aging franchise than Covid concerns for older people.

Also, older people aren't necessarily concerned for themselves but elderly parents who are still more susceptible to variants even if vaccinated and younger children who can't be vaccinated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Not sure how can 23.3m lead to 60m unless Columbus/Indigenous day really help to soften Sun hit. 

All things considered, from the aforementioned "adults aren't coming back to movies" concerns to the fact it was a completed movie that ended up sitting on the shelf for 18 months after it became the first movie to be suddenly delayed right as it was about to open (Craig hosted SNL that same week it was pushed back and participated in a pre-recorded skit that made fun of the movie), to the point where it probably came across as "old news" by the time it opened more than any of the other delayed tentpoles, these are fine numbers for No Time to Die. It's such a long movie that it's likely not too frontloaded so $60M+ is still on the table.

That said, this won't ease the concerns about how adult-targeted movies are struggling in the pandemic era and are looking to continue doing so for a while. Perhaps Top Gun and Mission: Impossible made the right calls to go well into 2022.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well for all the talk of old folks not coming for it, NTTD will have same old folks watching it as did Spectre. The problem is that younger people have no interest in BOND, which is what I have been saying since last few days.

Was going to say, my IMAX show last night was full of old people. 

Old people are definitely coming out for it, and we know they historically don' rush out first week so it bodes well for the legs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

After my rant last night: I don't think Bond is suffering because of people being afraid to go back to the movie, and I think the general market is healthy and will remain so until another surge, COVID wise. I'm speaking to the larger trend of non-superhero movies being unable to breakout ever anymore.

*In America 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Not sure how can 23.3m lead to 60m unless Columbus/Indigenous day really help to soften Sun hit. 

It'll probably soften it to 25-30% drop instead of a 35-37% drop.

6.23m

17.07m

21.3375 (+25%)

15.363m  (-28%)

= $60m

Don't think it can hit that Sat bump.  Spectre was around  16-17% and Skyfall was 11%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It'll probably soften it to 25-30% drop instead of a 35-37% drop.

6.23m

17.07m

21.3375 (+25%)

15.363m  (-28%)

= $60m

Don't think it can hit that Sat bump.  Spectre was around  16-17% and Skyfall was 11%

SAT sales were impressive. Can even see 30% jump.

Note - That 30% is may be and from data point 2 days ago. We will see how much it will grow in couple of hours.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2