Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Lack of big family films exploding since Sonic 2 helped it, Comcast puts in the effort for marketing and it helped that no streaming service to dilute its impact like Lightyear did (Man, Chapek really fucked up there).

I think this shows theatrical animation is definitely alive, but it needs to be far away from a streaming window or more likely a big streamer. I mean Bad Guys legged it to almost 100M with a 70 day window and I think if it opened earlier, it’d do 125M minimum. Sonic 2 also exploded. 

On a small note, I’m only Puss in Boots doing 150M now because of how good Comcast is at marketing.

I think Super Pets will do well too but not on the same level. 

Just now, YourMother said:

Lack of big family films exploding since Sonic 2 helped it, Comcast puts in the effort for marketing and it helped that no streaming service to dilute its impact like Lightyear did (Man, Chapek really fucked up there).

I think this shows theatrical animation is definitely alive, but it needs to be far away from a streaming window or more likely a big streamer. I mean Bad Guys legged it to almost 100M with a 70 day window and I think if it opened earlier, it’d do 125M minimum. Sonic 2 also exploded. 

On a small note, I’m only Puss in Boots doing 150M now because of how good Comcast is at marketing.

If Minions opens in 2020 as planned, it doesn't get this high. The long delay in family movies and no competition after Lightyear bombed really helping here. Same reason Sing 2 just kept on going.

• Like 1

It’s sad Chapek basically has lowered Pixar and WDAS to no event due to fucking Disney+. Illumination has probably taking the crown of king of animation box office for a minute and tbh I think DWA can make a comeback.

Strange World and Elemental can rebound just give them a 45 day window and like great marketing. (Strange World may have some trouble with marketing distribution as it’s in the middle of Wakanda and Avatwo)

The Disney board right now after renewing Eisner 2: Revenge of the Direct-to-Video Brand Dilution for another 3 years:

star-wars-anakin-skywalker.gif

I'm sure the DreamWorks execs are also thrilled, as this bodes well for their own similar film: Puss in Boots 2. Sony's also likely feeling a lot more confident in the Spider-Verse sequels now.

I think we can now safely say that this movie will at least double Lightyear's opening. What the fuck is this timeline?!

Just now, YourMother said:

It’s sad Chapek basically has lowered Pixar and WDAS to no event due to fucking Disney+. Illumination has probably taking the crown of king of animation box office for a minute and tbh I think DWA can make a comeback.

Strange World and Elemental can rebound just give them a 45 day window and like great marketing. (Strange World may have some trouble with marketing distribution as it’s in the middle of Wakanda and Avatwo)

Maybe it’s because they kicked off right when my childhood ended at 14, but I really don’t like Illumination. They’re the very definition of “just good enough movies that execute the basic formula to print money perfectly.” I remember watching Secret Life of Pets and thinking “…that’s it? There was zero substance…” and I was very disappointed to find out Nintendo picked Illumination to make the Mario movie (everyone was shocked when the voice cast was revealed. I wasn’t. It was perfectly on brand for Illumination: pay big name stars that don’t match their characters at all but will inevitably draw lots of people into the seats).

I really don’t want Illumination to be the future of animation. But it looks like that’s where we’re heading. They may not produce masterpieces, but they know how to please children and print money. Even I have to admit that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Bob Chapek going to greenlight a Olaf movie now with little snowmen sidekicks.

Lightyear was a fuck up should have been a little green men movie. The original minions.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I forgot this was playing at 2:00 p.m. everywhere yesterday. Maybe not so shocking?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. Insane numbers though, even with frontloading the 3-day should match the $72M opening for Despicable Me 3 at a minimum.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I know people complain about how it's all Chapek's fault, but Disney+ was going to screw over their animation division no matter what. Unless it took over a year for those movies to come to the service, which would never happen, Disney+ was going to make consumers wait until it comes home. Why spend money for it now when it would be free a little later? Things are accelerated of course because of COVID and the D+ originals and stuff like that, but Disney losing their box office might because of D+ was always the endpoint IMO. Which hey, we all got sick of Disney dominating the box office and bullying the theaters, so I guess we got what we wanted.

• Like 2

Just now, superduperm said:

Maybe it’s because they kicked off right when my childhood ended at 14, but I really don’t like Illumination. They’re the very definition of “just good enough movies that execute the basic formula to print money perfectly.” I remember watching Secret Life of Pets and thinking “…that’s it? There was zero substance…” and I was very disappointed to find out Nintendo picked Illumination to make the Mario movie (everyone was shocked when the voice cast was revealed. I wasn’t. It was perfectly on brand for Illumination: pay big name stars that don’t match their characters at all but will inevitably draw lots of people into the seats).

I really don’t want Illumination to be the future of animation. But it looks like that’s where we’re heading. They may not produce masterpieces, but they know how to please children and print money. Even I have to admit that.

Shit I hate Illumination too (I only like three films from them: Despicable Me, Grinch and Sing 2, the rest are shit). That said I’ve harden a little less as I had dumb shit as a kid too and tbf a lot of blockbusters more or less doing what Illumination has done but I don’t think animation will regress to Illumination levels of quality. There’s a lot of future from a lot of studios but the most important thing is for this was showing the families are still very much interested in the animation industry. Which makes me more confident in the 2023 roster of animated films doing well.

1 minute ago, Eric the Minion said:

I know people complain about how it's all Chapek's fault, but Disney+ was going to screw over their animation division no matter what. Unless it took over a year for those movies to come to the service, which would never happen, Disney+ was going to make consumers wait until it comes home. Why spend money for it now when it would be free a little later? Things are accelerated of course because of COVID and the D+ originals and stuff like that, but Disney losing their box office might because of D+ was always the endpoint IMO. Which hey, we all got sick of Disney dominating the box office and bullying the theaters, so I guess we got what we wanted.

I mean I agree but at the end of the day, Chapek made the choice to accelerate with Soul, Luca and TR going to the plus. Iger isn’t totally innocent either but I place more of the blame on Chapek.

Regardless of my feelings of Disney, I do hope WDAS and Pixar see a rebound. 

20 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Imma be honest here, like obviously Top Gun 2 is the story of the summer and the most incredible performance...but Minions 2 is not that far behind, and you could make a solid argument that it's the crazier opener. The last couple movies had bad reception and most animated franchises similar to this like Ice Age get some big diminishing returns. So how is this going leaps and bounds ahead of DM3 and debuting only slightly behind the first Minions? It can't just be Lightyear bombing. Is it just because of the Minions name? I don't get it.

DM3 was meh, and the first Minions was incredibly juvenile that is was terrible. This one looks to have recaptured the mix of fun Minions with some adult humor mixed in that made the DM franchise successful in the first place  

Also, the DM audience and Minions audience overlap but are not quite the same - and that matters here, particularly in the post-pandemic market