Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

My take on this movie in terms of opening weekend:

- Everyone I know who is a big fan of film/movies, are iffy about this. They might give it a try in theaters, simply because it's a 3D event, but they're not particularly excited for it; thus they might not go opening weekend. The biggest "gripe" I've heard from these kinds of people is that the trailers don't make the movie look compelling enough. Sure, effects look nice, it looks somewhat unique and different, but the story (or lack thereof) is the iffy thing.

- People I know who go to the movies somewhat on a regular basis are iffy on it, simply because of the additional cost per ticket for 3D viewing. A couple theaters in my area only have the 3D version, or limited viewing times scheduled for the 2D version.

- It's CGI sci-fi, which doesn't grab a lot of people. Heck, sci-fi in general doesn't grab a lot of people. Even though it looks to very much be an action movie, people might not be able to look past the "Fern Gully"-and-"Halo"-made-a-love-child look of the movie.

- It's not an established series or the like, such as "DC Extended Universe" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".

- While "Terminator 2," "Aliens" and "Titanic" are great films, and iconic in their own right, a lot of teens and college-aged moviegoers might not grasp the importance those films had on their respective genres, and on filmmaking. So, they might not care so much that "Avatar" comes from the man who envisioned those worlds.

- And likewise to above, James Cameron isn't exactly a household name these days. And the people who do remember his major contributions to entertainment are likely parents these days, or have other obligations that might take up their time on the weekends. Not to say they won't see it, but it might not be opening weekend.

I'm seeing it opening day, with my dog. We're off that day, we'll be three days into having our new place, and it'll be a good getaway for several hours. It'll be my first IMAX 3D experience, and its as well. I've always thought of it as a gimmick of sorts, but I figure if I'm gonna get my IMAX 3D cherry popped, it should be with "Avatar." I'm eager to see if Cameron and crew do reshape the way people view movies.

Am I excited for it? No, not really; although I do think, if I do see this movie, it should be in the theaters, much like "Independence Day" or "Jurassic Park." It's a theater-going experience kind of movie.

• Like 1

Terminator 2 is likely my favorite film of all time.  Titanic and True Lies and first Terminator are genius. Aliens is overrated but still good. Abyss and first Avatar are underrated. Haven't seen new Avatar but it's too long. Theaters are too cold nowadays and I drink too much water. Make it snappier James.

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

WB should have kept Shazam on the schedule regardless of how Avatar performs. There's definitely room for another high profile release. Especially as Shazam 2 is now going to get released amidst a DC reboot.

My understanding though was that the delay was due to the post production backlog. They just couldn't get things out in time.

I thought Sandberg said production was on schedule and that the move was simply for a better date. Or do I have that wrong? I'm pretty sure he went out of his way to say it's ready (or it would have been ready).

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Is it too early for the What Whent Wrong Thread?

Yes. Let's see the numbers on the 26th before we start going " what happened" if the numbers are as bad as most are thinking I'll write a thread on what happened. But please let's wait until after weekend #2 before we start a potential autopsy

• Like 1

The only Cameron I've rewatched a lot is Titanic, so that's #1 by a mile.

I've enjoyed all the rest of his films.  Having seen many of them as a wee one, it's hard to judge, but if we go by the literal only movies to have ever caused me nightmares in my life, I'd have to rank T1 2nd b/c it, and Total Recall, are the only 2 movies to ever freak me out (and I saw both on "small" screen, so I can't even blame the movie going experience - I can blame my dad for letting me view them, though:)...

That said, T2 had the best Universal Studios 3d show...so I think it also needs to rank:)...

So how about T1/T2 tie for 2nd/3rd...