Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

52 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

After how poorly Kong's marketing was handled until its final week before release, I won't be calling WB's marketing the best anytime soon. That's not even including their bombs like King Arthur, The House, etc.

I think it's a stretch to use Kong as an example of bad marketing from them.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

He said it was bad until its final week of release, and he's completely right.  It was terrible before the last week or two and that's when they finally started to create buzz for the movie.

Dunno. There's something to be said for turning it around in such a short amount of time, no?

To me it's probably one of the more impressive feats of their marketing team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

September is empty apart from "it".

It doesn't need lots of marketing, it just needs to be good, WOM will do the rest.

There's Kingsman 2, Ninjago, Mother!, American Assassin & others but none of them will hurt It IMO

• Like 1

Final Guess For Its Reviews & Box Office For First 10 Days & Overall Total

RT: 94%, 8.4 Avg Rating

IMDB: 8.2

Metacritic: 85

Friday: $40.3m

Saturday: $28.2m (-30%)

Sunday: $17.5m (-38%) / $86m Weekend

Monday: $6 million (-66%)

Tuesday: $8.5 million (+42%)

Wednesday: $5.8 million (-31.5%)

Thursday: $5.4 million (-7%)

Friday: $12.7 million (+135%)

Saturday: $17.2 million (+35%)

Sunday: $10.3 million (-40%) / $40.2 million (-53.3%)

Total In 10 Days: $151.9 million

Projected Total: $250 million (2.9x)

Foreign: $375 million

Worldwide Total: $625 million

Edited by the beast
  • Like 1

WB's marketing team is definitely the best in the business. Disney releases franchise movies almost exclusively. You dont need to market SW or classic failytales a lot. They are already household names. Look at the last movies that went out of their comfort zone: Queen of Katwe, Light Between the Oceans, The BFG, The Finest Hours. They all bombed. Pete's Dragon did decent, but not thanks to a big opening, but legs. So no, Disney is not better at marketing. Just look at how many smaller, original film successes WB had this year and last year. The are good. Ofc you are going to have a few missteps along the way. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, James said:

WB's marketing team is definitely the best in the business. Disney releases franchise movies almost exclusively. You dont need to market SW or classic failytales a lot. They are already household names. Look at the last movies that went out of their comfort zone: Queen of Katwe, Light Between the Oceans, The BFG, The Finest Hours. They all bombed. Pete's Dragon did decent, but not thanks to a big opening, but legs. So no, Disney is not better at marketing. Just look at how many smaller, original film successes WB had this year and last year. The are good. Ofc you are going to have a few missteps along the way. 

Pretty much this, WB is ahead in my opinion. Disney's marketing is good of cource but as you said, their releases are already too safe to need anything extremely remarkable.

• Like 2

I agree that despite Disney's box office dominance, because they own a bunch of really popular properties, I think that WB's marketing is on the whole better. I mean yes King Kong's marketing wasn't amazing but I don't think that Disney could have gotten that movie to 550 + million worldwide with that last minute push. You merely have to look at the fact that they couldn't even get the semi heavily hyped Tomorrowland to 220 million worldwide while WB got something as old and hard to sell as Tarzan to 350 million. Yes WB has failures like King Arthur and the house but both of those movies were troubled productions that were dumped, let's not pretend that they weren't. Disney did not dump Tomorrowland.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lego Batman couldn't even do huge numbers and Ninjago is supposed to? I still don't get some of the predictions for that film. Didn't people learn from their massive Lego Batman over predictions?

I think LEGO Batman numbers would be considered overperforming for Ninjago. As it stands I have it doing similar numbers to the first Hotel Transylvania. Being the first major animated movie (that families wanted to see on some level) in almost two months will help.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lego Batman couldn't even do huge numbers and Ninjago is supposed to? I still don't get some of the predictions for that film. Didn't people learn from their massive Lego Batman over predictions?

Think it'll be Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants all over again where the live action film in this case Kingsman trounced the animated film. @YourMother won't be happy if that happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Think it'll be Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants all over again where the live action film in this case Kingsman trounced the animated film. @YourMother won't be happy if that happens. 

Hey man, as long as I get $100M+, I'm happy.

• Like 1