kayumanggi

BUMBLEBEE | 21 DECEMBER 2018 | The end of the Bayformers Universe

54 minutes ago, scabab said:

It made even less than Transformers 5.  Well over $100 million less and that's with this one getting good reviews.

Obviously T5 being a terrible movie is part of the reason why this grossed less. T5 also had 250 million budget, so it's not really comparable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I have a difficult time being overly impressed with its numbers. It did okay. 

It was only a year after TLK proved people's interest in this franchise has been killed. It is a minor achievement that it managed to do as well as it has done. It hasn't flopped. And thanks to lucrative China deal it will have turned a good profit for Paramount. 

It has turned things around for this franchise as it seems paramount is willing to continue on this line. I daresay without this film succeeding, Paramount Would have ended the TF series there.

Bumblebee is certainly a success, even if one wants to get pedantic and say minor success.

It's lower budget and some tax incentives helped make that happen but those things can be said about a number of films. The fact it had better characters, a stronger and straightforward narrative without the choppy action edits and bloated sequences of the past few TF films is the real reason this won over a fading fan base.

I feel those that passed out of spite may discover it later and those folks will show up for whatever is next most likely. Bumblebee has the chance to look like Fast & Furious 4 for this franchise, be the film that revives a franchise.

That $125.7m domestic total was considered a no go by certain brain trusts around here who like to print obits in the early going. 

lol the first the producer says there will still be a sequel to The Last Knight, then he says this

I know the next Transformer, our attempt anyway, is to sort of do a fusion of Bumblebee and the Bay movies…a little more Bayhem. And a little bit more of the character falling in love within the emotional dynamic of the movie. One of the things I want to do—and I hope we pull it off—is, we did it with Bumblebee because he’s so cute and he’s so accessible, but he can’t talk. I think the more human we can make these characters, the more people are going to like them.”

http://collider.com/bumblebee-2-more-action/#poster

It's not going to happen.  This is typical Producer-talk...that's their job...to talk up projects and get them developed to ultimately get them greenlighted.  But I'll be very surprised if Paramount continues with anything at all related to Bay's universe on screen.  Bumblebee already shows they are effectively rebooting. 

Just now, Barnack said:

That was made before T5 released too no ?

Yes, but I believe reshoots/reediting/revisualizing happened that effectively allowed it to be separated in aesthetic and narrative from Bay's universe. 

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Yes, but I believe reshoots/reediting/revisualizing happened that effectively allowed it to be separated in aesthetic and narrative from Bay's universe. 

It was from the start a spin-off outside of it no ?

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Not sure about that...

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/656729-2018-transformers-movie-is-a-bumblebee-spin-off-film#/slide/1

When Bumblebee project was announced, they also announced a Transformer 6 2019 release (and Wahlberg was signed for T6 according to the Sony leak).

Could have been heavy PR manipulation from the start and always, but director talk right from the beginning talked about a complete different atheistic/energy/scale/scope than the Bay mega affair:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1752259/how-the-bumblebee-director-plans-to-be-different-than-michael-bay

Obviously maybe they not only always planned and making a reboot with Bumblebee or once T5 box office started rolled or later, etc... But the very fact the movie exist, I am not sure indicate they are letting go of a popular in growing market and made still over 600m in is last entry franchise, That a studio that going back to Top Gun