kayumanggi

BUMBLEBEE | 21 DECEMBER 2018 | The end of the Bayformers Universe

7 hours ago, Crainy said:

Even Transformers 2 is a movie made with alot of dedication and care, it was just a victim of its circumstances

Well with 2 weeks (with change from the exteriors thrown at the writers in the middle of it) for the scrips is a movie made with a lot of care according to your own definition of the concept, than sure (but so is all big movies with that criteria)

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/01/12/viacom-ceo-bumblebee-solidly-profitable-last-knight-lost-100m/

Bakish explained though that while Bumblebee has made less than the previous Transformersinstallment, Transformers: The Last Knight actually lost the studio $100 million, while Bumblebee has already been in his words "solidly profitable".

Context is sometimes everything. We don't know how Paramount thinks internally about the film, but I think Bumblebee's return is FAR better than it looks.

I think the thing to bear in mind here is that BB was greenlit as a spin-off to the franchise before TLK had come out. 

This means that at one point in production, Paramount were facing the colossal collapse of TLK from Extinction and by that time had probably already sunk a pile of money into a film that now looked like a surefire bomb since if the actual main franchise was halving its returns in just one movie, what would be the chances of the spinoff.

Thus I think the fact that not only has this movie made *some* money, but also returned goodwill and genuinely managed to shift itself from a spin-off to a reboot while retaining a relatively smaller budget.....I honestly think it's a massive win far greater than the actual "returns" would suggest. This was a movie that had the very real potential, even likelihood, at one point to either be a 40-50m write off with no release, or an outright bomb.

• Like 2

Yay one step further to see Bumblebee and Charlie reunite.I would honestly kill to see an older Charlie seeing Bumblebee again.Emilia Clarke And Steinfield are  basically doppelgänger buuut the age doesn’t match.Catherine Zeta Jones maybe?But on the other hand I would hate to loose Steinfield because she was amazing in this one...sorry...getting ahead Of myself...

On 1/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, Macleod said:

The little Autobot that could keeps on chugging along and bringing some success with it at that!!

The domestic total is now $117.1m though, article didn't have updated numbers at print I suppose. 

Edited by Captain Craig

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:10 AM, cookie said:

Doubt his claim regarding Bumblebee but I can buy that Last Knight figure.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:08 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree, I don't think Bumblebee is profitable yet but I have no doubt that The Last Knight flopped hard. 

As I understand, Paramount does not receive any money from China box office - instead they took a flat $60 million fee to give full theatrical cut to the Chinese distributor. That $60million pays for almost half of the budget of Bumblebee alone.

So if take China out of the equation, it has grossed $263 million, while costing only $75 million budget. I can believe it has already made its money back and is profitable, yeah.

What are the chances this beats TLK's domestic total? It's around $9m away right now, and the last four TF movies made $5-8m more when their weekend numbers hit what Bumblebee is at right now. It'll take some kind of late run expansion from Paramount, but it's possible. Even almost matching TLK is a victory considering every TF movie since ROTF has dropped hard from the previous one domestically.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darth Homer said:

What are the chances this beats TLK's domestic total? It's around $9m away right now, and the last four TF movies made $5-8m more when their weekend numbers hit what Bumblebee is at right now. It'll take some kind of late run expansion from Paramount, but it's possible. Even almost matching TLK is a victory considering every TF movie since ROTF has dropped hard from the previous one domestically.

The Lion King? :winomg:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Even almost matching TLK is a victory considering every TF movie since ROTF has dropped hard from the previous one domestically. 

The real victory is that they did it with a smaller budget.

Edited by MrGlass2

I think at this point it is fair and accurate to call Bumblebee a success sitting at $438m WW, $122 of that Domestic. 

The question for Paramount is: Where does the franchise go?

'Bee seems to have gotten good will from those of us who didn't give up hope. I feel those who passed out of spite for Bay may realize on at home viewing that it is a pretty good film. Thus the likelhood a Bee sequel happens, and budget maintained in control again, they could see even better returns.

There is also talk of an all animated Cybertronian War film as briefly seen in the Bee film.