CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Since this is opening higher than Batman vs Superman, I would say few to none. 

Just the simple fact that (domestically speaking), the MCU peaked with The Avengers

I feel like CBMs in general peaked with The Avengers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Isn't the Avengers kind of a sequel that's the culmination of earlier stories?

All of these movies are sequels to each other. It is not fair comparison to say CA is the third film in franchise since it features almost all the avengers and two new years plus Captain America is already been in five films prior to this.  

18 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Since this is opening higher than Batman vs Superman, I would say few to none. 

Just the simple fact that (domestically speaking), the MCU peaked with The Avengers

Maybe MCU peaked for the next five years but you can't rule out a franchise that might exist for another 25 years.

• Like 2

For those of us who kept expectation realistic, this opening is huge. 

People always get over excited. I lost count just how many times I said how hard it was to cross $200m. I kept my prediction below $200m because this isn't an Avengers movie per se. I'm not saying it's a pure Cap movie but it also isn't a pure Avengers movie either. Folks should have kept that in mind before saying  $200m was the floor.

This opening would have been disappointing if it was Avengers: Civil War. As it were, it's a great opening.

• Like 5

Here is a look at how some of the all time point and percentage leaders fared in the derby. Threw in Tele just for fun, your pet monkey throw darts for ya? :lol:.  Rough calculations from rough deadwrong.com estimates

No Prisoners         86.20%

@Bates               84.90

@Rolling Thunder   83.30

@TalismanRing      80.20

@8wombi7           78.75

@Matrix4You        77.00

@Simionski           75.80

@Bozly                75.10

@Telemachos        72.00

If a newbie shows up and takes it I swear I'll start sniffing glue again!

Looking forward to boxoffice.coms projections and Matrixs full chart

catch.jpg

Im the old maid on the left that's never won in 15 years, 2nd and 3rd 20+times. Look at the expression on that bitch to my left trying to take this bouquet/derby from me. Mean. We'll call her Bates for now. Gonna open a can of whoop ass and wrestle that bouquet from her.

I feel sorry for her future ex-husband

aptopixmissuniversepace19456487237_t755_

No. Go Away!

• Like 2

True true.  I always felt that doubling Winter Soldier was the ceiling, but I decided to push the ceiling with all the hype went with my highest predict of 200.  Truly happy with the movie's performance, though I felt that Winter Soldier is a better movie overall.  I'm starting to feel a little fatigue from too many characters jumbled up in one movie :P

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Maybe MCU peaked for the next five years but you can't rule out a franchise that might exist for another 25 years.

Crazy thing is since 2012 every mcu film that open early may always locked a spot in that billion dollar club. 

I dont know about 25 years but at this rate mcu total box office might be out of reach even for avatar franchise (1-5). Also they should pass james bond total movie in the next 5 years

Good number, just it's been so overhyped that people will inevitably be disappointed by something not $200m+. I do wonder though, if this film had come out last year as the official second Avengers film, would it have made more...

I've always described it as Avengers 2.5 and expected an OW 10% or so under AoU. 

And here we are. Bang on. 

Also, it held up great on second viewing and I finally got to see the post credit scene. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

One thing I noticed about Civil War is it wasn't quite as funny as other MCU films. But my audience more than made up for it. 50% full despite being the 10:00 3D showing and they were all into it. Applause when "Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo" came up.

One guy at the back yelled "suck it Snyder!" And another guy is like "f*** off a**hole!" People laughed at that exchange. Then while we were all waiting for post credits, the guy in front of me reads the "The events portrayed in this film are fictitious" line and screams "IT ISNT REAL? NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED!"

• Like 1

Then again, there was one family in the theatre with their little kid (who I'm not sure how the sucker stayed awake until 1AM) who I don't think were too pleased with the Snyder exchange :lol:

I feel like CBMs in general peaked with The Avengers.

CBMs "peak" every couple of years. There is no signs of it stopping.

Spider-man, Iron Man, TDK, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool

2 hours ago, HeyItsMoses said:

Yup.

@chasmmi, @WrathOfHan, @The Panda Knight, @ThatOneGuy, @firedeep, @grey ghost, @Kalo, @movieman, @Treetrunk Special, @Dexter of Suburbia, @Empire, @Simionski, @JJ-8, @Jake Gittes, @Jayhawk, @#ED, @Exxdee, @kayumanggi, @Mike Hunt, and @Alpha...what the fuck were you guys thinking? lol

Now, I can't wait to see the look on the people's faces that are predicting over $300m for Suicide Squad...

Not sure what you mean by this. 

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Buzz was positive. But it was the typical, overblown, "Holy fuck Marvel has made the greatest movie of all-time... AGAIN!?!" Even heard a lot of Empire Strikes Back comparisons... which a year later we are literally hearing again with this film. *Rolls eyes*

Honestly Marvel themselves were saying how Age of Ultron was whatever but how the main narrative (even before it opened) was all about Civil War. They seemed to have learned their lesson there and all the Infinity War talk didn't overshadow this ahead of time.

But Civil War dropped because honestly, the main selling point was "Oh my God, NOW THEY'RE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!" - a visual hook that we had seen before in both Avengers films. Despite what they were saying, this offered nothing we hadn't seen before from a marketing standpoint. Even though it did look good (and the film itself is good albeit as usual overpraised and overhyped).

Really people said AOU was like Empire Strikes Back? Maybe before release but I don't think I heard that once after. The marketing was deceiving with the first few teaser trailers.

Now this on the other hand I would call Marvels Empire Strikes Back for many reasons. AOU wasn't dark (the team also really didn't fight each other that much besides a few brief scenes and The Hulkbuster vs Hulk scene) and ended without much changing.

Civil War went into way darker territory. The subject material is far more for adult oriented. Especially the climax.

It was marketed like an Avengers movie thanks to the heavy focus on the airport battle but it kind of isn't. I mean for parts it is but seeing the actual movie, I would compare it to Winter Soldier more then anything. It's tone is completely unlike the last 2 Avengers movies (besides the Airport scene) and it's a lot better for it. (Not better then the original Avengers but right up there with it)

The last time I compared a franchise to the Empire Strikes Back was How To Train Your Dragon 2. 

Edited by somebody85

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

This is a fine number but I'm laughing at this revisionism of people now going "it's a Captain Americs movie, this is amazing!" When this is a clear Avengers movie and marketed that way 

Those of us who didn't think it was an Avengers movie got a lot closer with our predictions.

I thought of it like a well reviewed Batman Begins having a huge increase when they added the Joker.    This was a well reviewed Cap 2 adding Iron Man.

I fully expect the next true Avengers movie to gross more than Cap 3.

• Like 1

Well, so much for 200M. Thank God I kept my expectations in check, therefore I'm slightly less disappointed than others :P

Still fantastic, though. My original prediction (and the one I stuck w/for the longest time) was Iron Man 3 numbers, so I was right there. Damn you internet for raising my hype.

• Like 1