grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

More about their roles...

Per the report, Reyes will play a character by the name of Dani, “a young woman from a working class neighborhood in Mexico City who finds herself in the battle between humans and machines.” Scream Queens star Diego Boneta has also been added to the cast as Dani’s brother. The newcomers join returning franchise OGs Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenneger, who are set to reprise their iconic roles and reunite for the first time since 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but THR notes that sources say their roles are relatively brief. Halt and Catch Fire star Mackenzie Davis is also set to star in the film as a soldier-assassin from the future.

Hmm...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

I am slightly disappointed that Arnold and Linda's roles are apparently brief, but at the same time, if they're willing to not put too much attention on even Arnold, who's basically the face of the series, then that gives me hope that they're confident in the story and characters they're creating that they won't rely too much on the past.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

just stop already

How about giving it a chance, because at least this time it's actually some talent behind the camera. No, rather they should be doing another comic book movie, i guess...

Just now, Elessar said:

How about giving it a chance, because at least this time it's actually some talent behind the camera. No, rather they should be doing another comic book movie, i guess...

Well considering comic book films are the most popular and the Terminator franchise hasn't had a true hit since the second one in 1991...yeah, they would be better off making another comic book movie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well considering comic book films are the most popular and the Terminator franchise hasn't had a true hit since the second one in 1991...yeah, they would be better off making another comic book movie.

Luckily, there are still some people willing to take risks in Hollywood. While it's a franchise movie, at this point a Terminator movie can be considered a risk...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well this is the direct sequel to T2, they're probably going to call it T3!

Arnold Schwarzenegger may not be the draw he was in earlier times (but who still is) but I think these films underperformed (also that with C. Bale) because they were just not that good. Fans wanted to see something else, closer to T1 & T2. I bet without Arnold T: G would have flopped hard (especially WW).

I`m not in general against the casting of relatively unknown actors (I think I haven`t heard of anyone so far but my focus is more on films than series). Maybe that`s indeed a sign of confidence in their project (or could it be that well known actors avoid this series now?). And yes, several casting members of the first Terminator became famous because of being part of this movie. And some members here mentioned that the newcomers are not untalented. So I don`t give up already and hope for a good film.
But boxofficewise it`s like it was said already: A Terminator film is a risk itself in these days and then to appoint only small roles to the popular faces of this franchise is even more risky. Maybe the young(er) actors develop enough charisma and the trailers are very convincing but if not, this film could become a rather big bomb. And the risk is also that many of the remaining fans have lost interest now no matter how the film will turn out. I don´t know if the brandmark "Terminator" is still a draw itself like "Bond" e.g. where you can (more or less) cast anybody and it becomes a success.

• Like 1

Well at least if this fails this time nobody can say "well it failed because there was no James Cameron involved". I'm cautiously optimistic about this as it seems like Cameron is taking personal responsibility for the film this time around as Tim Miller is a good director. 

Please make this small scale too.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/china-tencent-boards-skydance-terminator-1202781743/

Significant Chinese funding from Tencent.  They are already significantly invested in Skydance; it's unclear whether their financial interest in this goes beyond that, but probably.  Maybe Tencent wants to turn Skydance into Skynet?  ;)

http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2142876/terminator-make-return-2019-new-trilogy-backed-tencent#add-comment