Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

F8 is looking at 190-200 ow in China.

So 230 dom + 420 china = 650 combined looks possible.

OS-China is tough to guess but thinking 450. That will give it 1.1b ww. 

I knew F8 was going to be more frontloaded than usual in China. Still, it was fun to dream of an opening above TFA

2.5 weekend taking Kong to 161.1 rules out 170 dom I guess.

China is looking to end around 167. Dom should go over that.

Dom + China will be around 168 + 167 = 335

550 WW is locked.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

Interesting article by Forbes, which I actually agree with. 

Not to debate or what, but I think the FF franchise needs to take a look at itself, and try to have a good finish for its last 2 movies, because xXx with roughly 1/3 of FF8's budget is a more fun/better movie (debatable).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/04/14/six-reasons-why-xxx-return-of-xander-cage-is-better-than-fate-of-the-furious/#3f0e193beb36

48 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I knew F8 was going to be more frontloaded than usual in China. Still, it was fun to dream of an opening above TFA

Wonder what the multi will be. If the ow falls below 200 it will need marginally above 2x to touch 400 total. Looks like there are some holidays coming up so 400+ should happen.

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Didn't Dark Knight Rises increase from Dark Knight opening weekend?

Yeh?

So can we stop with the Paul Walker excuse already. 

Maybe The Dark Knight being a masterpiece has something to do with TDKR through the roof awareness. Maybe. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Didn't Dark Knight Rises increase from Dark Knight opening weekend?

Yeh?

So can we stop with the Paul Walker excuse already. 

Not really... unless you wanna compare Furious 7 to a Goddamn masterpiece. That's the difference maker - The Dark Knight being a Goddamn masterpiece. Plus, Nolan's stock and popularity growing between both TDK and Inception.

• Like 1

People keep going on about how Furious 7 was bumped by Paul Walkers death, so fair enough that the new one has lost $50m of it's opening audience.

But if people really liked Furious 7 that much, they'd have came back for number 8 regardless. Just like people did with TDKR.

I actually noticed on of the trades describe Furious 8's opening as "understandable".:lol: Lol. I'm sure that's what Universal were hoping for.

End of the day: industry tracking was $110m, it's doing under $100m unless Universal fudge it. So it's under performed compared to industry expectations on opening weekend. 

With that OD (assuming DHD is right), I see 100M being possible. Hey, at least it wouldn't do less than Fast 6 on opening, so that's a silver lining. Although, really, did anyone honestly not see a drop like this coming?

14 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Fate of the Furious, Over or Under?

O/U what exactly? :P

The time has come. People actually complain about a 100M Opener.

I mean i understand that some expected a higher number. But 100M Dollars are still a shitload of money. This thing is easily crossing 1 Billion. This franchise will never end.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The time has come. People actually complain about a 100M Opener.

I mean i understand that some expected a higher number. But 100M Dollars are still a shitload of money. This thing is easily crossing 1 Billion. This franchise will never end.

Here at BOT we'll find a way to whine about any number.

• Like 7