grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Why the heck does Universal not seem to care about marketing a 200M tentpole? Even if its bad, as long as they could get word out, RDJ and the barren January for families could at least pull better numbers than the movie seems to be targeting now. 

Mentioned this in the movie's thread but it seems like even RDJ is doing the bare minimum to promote it. Given the troubled production I imagine everyone involved just wants it to come and go as quickly and quietly as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Mentioned this in the movie's thread but it seems like even RDJ is doing the bare minimum to promote it. Given the troubled production I imagine everyone involved just wants it to come and go as quickly and quietly as possible.

RDJ has been promoting it on his twitter, FB and Insta.  He's done several entertaining promo videos for the film.  He's done videos for foreign markets.  He's done and will do interviews for TV.   I'm not sure what else he can do unless one expects him to pay for WW Premieres, set up junkets and buy TV ads out of his pocket.  Understandably, studios don't like to throw good money after bad but Universal promoted Cats more than Doolittle. CATS.     They should have given it the Christmas slot especially when Hooper wasn't even finished with the VFX.  So weird.

• Like 1

Quick report tonight cause I have a group project due tmr lol

174% Dark Fate (4.09M)

126% Zombieland (3.59M)

352% Gemini Man (5.64M)

44% Joker (5.89M)

155% Hustlers (3.875M)

95% John Wick 3 (5.6M)

Seems to be an over-index here since Victoria is mainly old white people. Still, even the lowest comps suggest 3.6M so I'll go with 3.75 based on all this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Quick update on 1917 prev.

its at  46965/132146 679959.96(779 shows). it increased slightly less than what I expected. I would say range is ~ 3.3m depending on how much MTC1 overindexes. 

Comps

Knives Out Final -   43016/108056 538765.71 (773 shows)

Ford vs Ferrari Final

31459/161048 474271.77 (874 shows)

Knives out had early screenings and somehow over indexed big time at MTC1. Hope that does not happen for 1917. 

FYI 1917 prev final at MTC is 50878/132146 735585.70. Could go as high as 3.5m.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Dolittle can't go away quietly if it tried. it's 200M bomb (unless OS saves its ass) so media will pounce on it. 

It’ll probably lose more money than Cats, but I’m guessing the media will be kinder with Dolittle so it’ll seem like less of a bomb. We’ll see. 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’ll probably lose more money than Cats, but I’m guessing the media will be kinder with Dolittle so it’ll seem like less of a bomb. We’ll see. 

Kinder certianly because Cats was easy to poke fun at due to WTF blend of cat CGI and actors. Dolittle looks just bland bad RDJ's atrocious accent aside. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

i still dont know how someone greenlighted this

Edited by john2000

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-pixars-onward-and-the-way-back/

lol of course Dolittle drops below my threshold at the last minute. Ah well, what are you gonna do?

And I guess the other numbers seem right. Been predicting this exact range for Onward for the longest time.

Dolittle Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-6 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 27 49 5,272 0.93%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

Comp

0.299x of Maleficent 6 days before release (687K)

0.295x of Jumanji (1.39M)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not going to do a full breakdown or track for obvious reasons, but I gave Doolittle a look at my theater and it's sold 11 seats for Thursday so far. 

It should be more walk up friendly than some other extremely low pre-sellers recently (Black Christmas) but I wouldn't expect Thursday to be over $750k. 

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

It should be more walk up friendly than some other extremely low pre-sellers recently (Black Christmas) but I wouldn't expect Thursday to be over $750k. 

750k would put it on track for about 20 mil OW right? Don't know how frontloaded a movie like this would be. Nutcracker (fantasy movie with heavy reshoots, troubled production, and zero marketing) made 20 mil from a 625k Thursday.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Dolittle Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-5 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 27 57 5,272 1.08%

Total Seats Sold Today: 8

Comp

0.322x of Maleficent 5 days before release (741K)

0.313x of Jumanji (1.47M)

Holy shit, something actually happened. Still not good, but something happened!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2