grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

My manager sent an E-mail saying corporate was starting pre-sales on the 2nd but things could move.

Thanks for that.  👍  Try to stay circumspect so you don't get in trouble, okay. :)

And, personally speaking, I just want to know ahead of time so I don't wake up super early in the day for nothing (I NEVER wake up that early in the morning :lol:).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YLF said:

@Charlie Jatinder any early update on the Thursday number for US?

He is not around until tomorrow. 

Also, as a reminder - our resident gods are not supposed to share Thursday preview numbers and asking them to do so may put their jobs / access in jeopardy. 

If Charlie chooses to make a guess that is on him, but we should not be asking. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, narniadis said:

He is not around until tomorrow. 

Also, as a reminder - our resident gods are not supposed to share Thursday preview numbers and asking them to do so may put their jobs / access in jeopardy. 

If Charlie chooses to make a guess that is on him, but we should not be asking. 

I’ve seen people ask him before, so I decided to respectfully ask since I’m curious about the number. If he is unable to provide the number that’s fine. I’m not demanding it. 

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

Top Three Trailers with Highest Recall Score Among Moviegoing Audiences

Dumbo / Disney / Friday, March 29

• 40.6% of moviegoers (158 respondents) saw and recalled the trailer this week.
  • That’s down a bit from a 42.7% peak last week.
  • It spends its second week at #1 on the recall metric.
  • It also spends its 11th consecutive week — all but one of its tracking weeks — in the recall metric’s top three.

Aladdin / Disney / Friday, May 24

• 27.6% of moviegoers (107 respondents) saw and recalled the trailer this week.
  • It enters the recall metric at #2 on its first week of tracking.

Shazam! / Warner Bros. / Friday, April 5

• 23.3% of moviegoers (91 respondents) saw and recalled the trailer this week.
  • That’s a new peak, up from a prior 21.5% peak last week.
  • It spends its third non-consecutive week in the recall metric’s top three, all at #3.
  • That’s up from ranking #4 last week.

Top Three Trailers with Highest Cinema Interest Among Moviegoing Audiences

Avengers: Endgame / Disney / Friday, April 26

• 75.9% of respondents who saw the trailer this week said they intend to see it in theaters.
  • That’s up slightly from 75.5% last week but down from from a 78.6% peak, yet still ranks among the highest numbers we’ve ever measured.
  • It spends a 13th consecutive week — all of its tracking weeks — at #1 on the ‘interest in a cinema view’ metric.

Spider-Man: Far From Home / Sony / Friday, July 5

• While Trailer Impact usually only measures films coming out in the next 10 weeks, we’d added Spider-Man: Far From Home to the survey after it posted the 8th-most global views online ever for a trailer within its first day.
  • 61.9% of respondents who saw the trailer this week said they intend to see it in theaters.
  • That’s a new peak, beating its prior 61.0% peak achieved in two separate frames, including last week.
  • It spends a second week at a #2 peak on the ‘interest in a cinema view’ metric.
  • It spends a ninth consecutive week — all its tracking weeks — in the top three on the ‘interest in a cinema view’ metric.

Aladdin / Disney / Friday, May 24

• 58.7% of respondents who saw the trailer this week said they intend to see it in theaters.
  • It spends its first tracking week in the top three on the ‘interest in a cinema view’ metric, at #3.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/trailer-impact-3-21-19/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Mojo has Us at 51M. While I definitely think that is low-balling it quite a bit, the fact that both they and Bo.com both have it under 60 for their official predictions makes me think 90+ is a real long-shot. Even mojo predicted 85M for It. 

I'm not going to go above 70 for my expectations. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Avengers: Endgame / Disney / Friday, April 26

• 75.9% of respondents who saw the trailer this week said they intend to see it in theaters.
  • That’s up slightly from 75.5% last week but down from from a 78.6% peak, yet still ranks among the highest numbers we’ve ever measured.
  • It spends a 13th consecutive week — all of its tracking weeks — at #1 on the ‘interest in a cinema view’ metric.

Wouldn't happen to know what Infinity War was around the same time? 

Seems to be heading for a full 50% bump today on Fandango for 40k. Unfortunately a lot of big openers from last year don't have Thurs data, and I'm pretty uncertain about what good comps will be anyway. On the one hand you could call it a non-franchise movie, but it seems like a lot of awareness and buzz is being driven by the association with Get Out, so it's not hard to imagine actually being fairly presale heavy.

Right, people really need to stop with the "it'll be frontloaded" bullshit. 

I did the maths in a spreadsheet using @CoolEric258 data and found that less than 80M is practically impossible for this based on Wednesday numbers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1StE4_QCLFj62helf0mtWRyfCOQXI0SxsOsUepAAwnXQ/edit#gid=1749994873

Here are the most presale heavy films from the past year (discounting expansions and wednesday releases) and their relative predictions of Us' OW based on the wednesday number:

A Star Is Born 52.4
Fantastic Beasts 78.6
Mamma Mia 2 79.8
SW: Solo 81.7
Deadpool 2 84.2
Captain Marvel 85.2
What Men Want 93.1
Halloween 97.5
Spider-Verse 99.2

Everything else is over 100M.

Now pretty sure ASIB had previews of some sort on Wednesday, so that comp is thrown out. So unless Us is going to be the most presale heavy movie from the past year, then perhaps people need to realise that 50m, heck even 70m is TOO LOW.

Sorry if this is aggressive, just tired of people putting down a movie when the data clearly supports a breakout.

---

Also, in case of speculation, here's the prediction based on M+T+W numbers:

A Star Is Born 51.7
Captain Marvel 66.0
Deadpool 2 70.0
Fantastic Beasts 71.8
SW: Solo 75.5
Avengers: Infinity War 77.2
Mamma Mia 2 84.0
Venom 86.4
Halloween 89.9
Marwen 91.7
Bohemian Rhapsody 92.1
Black Panther 94.0
Spider-Verse 98.0

Clearly the trend here is for an explosion, unless this movie is supposedly more presale heavy than freaking Star Wars, Marvel and Potterverse...

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Litio said:

Are there any people really doubting that US will open close to or maybe more than $100m? Yes, there is hype and higher presales, but these presales are not from a Star Wars movie, guys.

44 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I think folks might be underestimating how frontloaded US might be. There’s a rush factor here (but I do think it’ll do over 50m)

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm thinking 64mil right now. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Mojo has Us at 51M. While I definitely think that is low-balling it quite a bit, the fact that both they and Bo.com both have it under 60 for their official predictions makes me think 90+ is a real long-shot. Even mojo predicted 85M for It. 

I'm not going to go above 70 for my expectations. 

@Litio That's 3 from just this page and the last couple hours alone... This was my frustration and why I did the maths

• Thanks 1