Eric Prime

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

51 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

But why is it only this movie that’s been causing any kind of significant controversy over this? It’s not exactly the only movie that was scheduled to be released in August. Hell, there’s currently still a movie that’s scheduled to be released on July 31. Does film Twitter just really have it out for Christopher Nolan?

Because he’s the only filmmaker who’s inserted himself into the conversation about when it should open. The micro-adjusting of release dates when it was abundantly clear things wouldn’t be fine in the US didn’t help either (although to be fair who knows whether that was WB or some combination of them and him). They decided that this was going to be the movie that saved the summer box-office season — which was fine in March when that might’ve been a possibility. But to continue that stance in May/June/July seems myopic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That thread of tweets by Mendelson articulates very much how I feel about this situation, I think he’s 100% spot on and I normally don’t agree with much that he says. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where he said something to that extent of wanting to be the one that saved movie theaters. I'm pretty sure it was in an interview on Deadline or something

If only you had access to Internet and could look it up. Oh well.

Why isn't FilmTwitter getting raving mad at the director of Mulan, or Disney? It is a mystery.

I wouldn't entirely blame Nolan or WB (or both, since it was probably equally their decision) to have stayed at the end of July in early June. It was continuing to move back two weeks and giving theaters false hope over the past month as it became clear that we completely botched the reopening of the country and that there was no containing the virus. The daily case numbers we're seeing now are double or more what we saw back in March when the fear of impending doom was actually kicking in.

Said this in the other thread but Fast 9 jumping back a whole year when all of this was starting to accelerate in March is looking like the smartest decision any of the studios made. It's becoming abundantly clear the box office sweepstakes can't be salvaged at all this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It feels (to me) that WB has played this whole thing terribly — with this movie at least. It seems clear that they’re trying to placate Nolan, and his weird attitude of trying to be cinema’s savior is just tone deaf. At an absolute minimum, it’s kind of a PR clusterfuck, WB has no one to blame but themselves, and their insistence at trying to claim otherwise just seems awkward. 

It's not really a PR clusterfuck.

I don't really think anyone outside the film aficionados and box-office watching communities care that much about the game of musical chairs that WB/Nolan are playing.

There are much more pressing concerns at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Truthfully, an isolated opening is much more important to Tenet than it is to Wonder Woman. Give Tenet early October, Push DUNE off and give WW84 Christmas.

Maybe it will get released in drive-ins. There are 28 in California and one about 15 minutes from where I live. Still though, not seeing this in IMAX will be very sad. I highly, highly doubt my IMAX theater will be open by Labor Day.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

And ? I do not follow why does that make statement of people suspicious that some reviewers that gain paid travel/access to talent-set/early access to the content/big party premiere and so on can be unconsciously or in a calculated way biased, bullshit ?

Arguably it do show how soft journalist all that type of journalism can tend to be (sport, movies, video games, etc...)

Because there's plenty of evidence of times where premiere invites and the like end up with the movie still receiving negative or mixed reviews, from every studio.

When's the last time you saw a studio begging journalists to stop being mean to their blockbuster movie because they're worried they'll look bad because they didn't handle it properly, and that it's journos duty to make studios look good so they can make money, in a press release?

Edited by SpiderByte

From the Washington Post report:

The decision came about as the studio, parent AT&T and others involved with the release jostled over the best course of action. Nolan, his wife and producing partner Emma Nolan, and the WB distribution team have been pushing to release the movie now to bring entertainment to consumers and at least some revenue to the studio and theaters.

But Emmerich and executives at AT&T, looking at the numbers, have been worried that their investment, which runs to $200 million in production costs and perhaps nearly as much in marketing totals, will return a minimal figure in a corona-pocked world.

So the way that has been evolving has been interesting, at first the trades were painting it as Nolan vs WB, Nolan's PR has been trying to push that him and WB are on the same page, and now it's Nolan *and* WB vs the head honcho and AT&T.

• Like 1

Nolan needs to reward cash-starved theaters with a surefire megablockbuster for next film.

INCEPTION 2 or THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, please. 

:ohmygod:

• Like 1

At this point, it seems as if WB expects Tenet to be a major loss for them. That's unfortunate. Anyway, if it sticks to it's August 26th date for OS then who knows what it makes. I'm guessing in the US, for some states, it will be a drive-in exclusive only which will severely limit its gross.

Edited by CloneWars

I just feel bad because I feel like WB has made up their mind and will release Tenet no matter what since they committed to that, and it's going to bomb big time. Also, if the film is really good that's going to really suck. Who knows maybe it goes VOD 2-4 weeks after drive-ins for the US release and then HBO MAX shortly after.