Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

WE ARE SAVED @MattW @captainwondyful @Jayhawk @Porthos @Sheikh @Empire @The Fast and the Furiosa@SLAM! @raulbalarezo @BoxOfficeZ

Our weekly theater counts article is back this week by popular demand. We’ll be publishing this every Thursday, in the early afternoon, Pacific Time, and updating the article as new reports come in from the studios on Thursday and Friday.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/242310830-Weekend-Theater-Counts-Addams-Family-Remains-Widest-Release

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 4

I'm not checking all 14 pages - I'm sure someone mentioned that the rest of it is behind a paywall.

And that paywall is 19.99$/mo.

That's more than every single streaming service out there! Who do they expect to purchase that if you don't work for a trade?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Who do they expect to purchase that if you don't work for a trade?

That's who they consider their audience to be. $20 is really cheap, given that you get quite a bit more than just box-office stuff (in fact, I think that's the least interesting part).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

Horrible.

Dreadful.

Disgusting.

Appalling.

Calamitous.

Outrageous.

Hideous.

Abhorrent.

Despicable.

Abominable.

Repulsive.

Heinous.

Ignominious.

Disdainful.

Beyond contempt.

It's been a great 10 years. I first visited BOM in January 2010 just out of curiosity to find out how much money Avatar was making. I got sucked in ever since. But all good things come to an end. Goodbye, Box Office Mojo. It was great for as long as it lasted.

We’ll say mixed

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That's who they consider their audience to be. $20 is really cheap, given that you get quite a bit more than just box-office stuff (in fact, I think that's the least interesting part).

But Mojo’s readership wasn’t just trades, and now a fair chunk is behind a paywall no one but trades are going to pay.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Our weekly theater counts article is back this week by popular demand. We’ll be publishing this every Thursday, in the early afternoon, Pacific Time, and updating the article as new reports come in from the studios on Thursday and Friday.

source.gif

14 minutes ago, cookie said:

But Mojo’s readership wasn’t just trades, and now a fair chunk is behind a paywall no one but trades are going to pay.

Yep, but why would IMDB/Amazon care?

Also, not trades -- they have subscriptions to Rentrak. But a fair amount of industry people have IMDB Pro accounts -- not for box-office, but for stuff like agents/manager info, detailed company data, etc. (Literally I have an account, cuz it's helpful and for ~100/year, it's not that expensive).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yep, but why would IMDB/Amazon care?

Also, not trades -- they have subscriptions to Rentrak. But a fair amount of industry people have IMDB Pro accounts -- not for box-office, but for stuff like agents/manager info, detailed company data, etc. (Literally I have an account, cuz it's helpful and for ~100/year, it's not that expensive).

It's not when you break it down monthly, but you'd be surprised about how little dollars the average Joe has to spare. It would be nice if some things, especially rather insignificant things like box office data, could be made available to everyone for no cost.

I see I've now had multiple posts vanished from this thread with absolutely zero communication. If someone is going to come along and delete this too can you please just let me know what the heck is going on so I can stop asking about it?

Edit: (mostly) clarified. Thanks @captainwondyful

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

The new web design for BOM is absolute motherfucking garbage. I despise this change with all my soul.

I have been visiting this site for 11 years now, since Dark Knight and Wall-e came out in the summer of 2008. This is heartbreaking, man.

Change it back to the old design, damn it!

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, The Panda said:

@Shawn do you think you could rehaul the Box Office Pro website to be just like Old Mojo plus your BOPro features?

That's a big question with no clear answer, unfortunately. I'll say this: we do have a ton of data on BoPro, stored over the past decade-plus. It's one thing to collect data -- it's another thing to present it in a functional, intuitive way that makes sense financially.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Seems like there's a community effort to essentially rebuild a clone of the old UI and functionality underway on Reddit. Having the wayback machine helps a lot.    

Sometimes these sorts of projects go nowhere when enthusiasm/motivating outrage dies in a week, but I really hope this one makes it to the finish line. Anybody who's really missing the good version of BOM, has some free time, and has some CS chops could go check it out if they're interested.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 8