Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

9 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

This would be a decent place if there wasn't so many drama filled posting styles. If people put a little more emphasis on just looking at numbers and less emphasis on what nifty meme to load up.

To be honest as it is now this place resembles a Geeks and Gamers forum more than it does a place to seriously look at box office results.

As I said, use the ignore feature to ignore certain users who you feel are trolling constantly and move on. 

If I can be honest, I’ve been keeping up with this whole thread and the posts you seem to be referring too as “drama filled” really aren’t bad. Unfortunately rots is just performing “ok” for what a Star Wars movie can and people are telling it like it is. No one can ever be certain on how a movie will finish but that’s why they always use past runs of other movies and try and compare with that. 

Sometimes we let our emotions blind us from what’s really in front of us. 

TROS's hope is that theaters did keep their theater sets til Jan 1 (and they may be regretting the 4 screens at both of my locals, especially at night, if looking at the sales every day is any indication:)...so, in a reversal, when folks go to see Jumanji and Knives Out and Frozen and find out the single screened movies are sold out, they may drop over to TROS.  It's like the reverse of the "overflow" concept for big movies...

But, that's a reach...and my theaters have not set Jan 2, so they may be getting bitter about the last few days and really torch TROS showings from then on...although with only one wide opener next weekend, I'm not sure what they could torch it with...some movie should REALLY expand bigger this weekend before going even bigger on Jan 10 (1917:)...

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

As I said, use the ignore feature to ignore certain users who you feel are trolling constantly and move on. 

If I can be honest, I’ve been keeping up with this whole thread and the posts you seem to be referring too as “drama filled” really aren’t bad. Unfortunately rots is just performing “ok” for what a Star Wars movie can and people are telling it like it is. No one can ever be certain on how a movie will finish but that’s why they always use past runs of other movies and try and compare with that. 

Sometimes we let our emotions blind us from what’s really in front of us. 

Oh I don't have high expectations for the film anyway. Infact I really didn't even like the movie that much and just consider a film as poor as it crossing a billion as being good. To be honest I'm going to be gone soon anyways as once it gets close to a billion there is no reason to look at this place anymore. 

Unfortunately message boards have really just become an extension of twitter these days. Gone are the days that people used message boards as an avenue to discuss topics and now many just use it as another avenue to react to things like they do with twitter.

Edited by RockyMountain

I saw drama when certain people were acting like Frozen 2 didn't have a good opening weekend but this weekend? Surprisingly little drama. I'm sorry but I think that fans who don't enjoy people telling it like it is when it comes to Star Wars need to get over it. Of course Star Wars having a huge second weekend drop was going to be the talk of this forum.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Inflated weekend by holidays -> brutal drop next weekend.

This period doesn't work like that in Europe. In a lot of countries the NY week is only 10% - 15% smaller for movies than the Christmas one. So next week will be down 20% from this week in most of Europe. OS should be between 460m - 470m by next weekend. Then a 70% drop week to week after that.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

What?

Little Women has had a great opening for a period drama that will veer female (thus no opening weekend rush) and possibly older. And all anyone is doing is posting numbers. How does that even vaguely compare with the massive overestimations by around $100m of where ROS will finish and accompanying articles from the trades that make no sense?

I mean awards-wise. It's being turned into a victim, that would otherwise be winning everything if it weren't for sexist voting practices etc.

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/little-women-awards-problem

I'm not saying the movie doesn't deserve awards. I haven't seen it yet, and I might absolutely love it. But at this point I feel like any opinion I have on the movie is going to be judged based on what my gender is.

This isn't just with this movie either. Every fandom is turning into a "the movies are flawless, and any flaws that anybody sees with them are the fault of the viewer, not the movie".

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

37 minutes ago, Moviefanfr said:

@ZackM Any update from your local sample.

Matinees are pacing 8% ahead of yesterday, evening shows are 33% behind yesterday.  If both of those hold we'd be looking at 21-21.5M (based on 25M yesterday and 26M Friday).

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deathlife said:

I dont follow box office much again but how does TROS miss a billion if its already at $724 million this week?

We're heading in for post holiday numbers will most likely be a significant nosedive in comparison.

Please remember this tweet and revisit in the end of week to expose this clown.

I can't stand people that pretend to know everything. At least put a word in your statement that indicates that is not 100% certain that's going to happen like for example "it will probably cross a billion this week" or "it will more likely cross a billion this week".