kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

5 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Because it’s based off a children’s series as well?

DreamWorks doesn’t mean much to people outside of Shrek and its spinoffs. It’s definitely not a huge brand on the level of WDAS, Pixar, or Illumination.

And as I said earlier in this thread, their last original (non-Ruby) film was in pre-pandemic 2019 and made less than 200M WW.

I don't think anybody goes to see Illumination movies because they're made by Illumination. Illumination just knows how to pick projects and even then they've had their fair share of flops.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WebSurfer said:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Transformers-One-(2024)#tab=box-office

That doesn't seem to be case according to this box office chart...

Did you look at the sums in "total gross"? $24,613,970 is $9,559,726+$9,151,714+$5,902,530. The green $3,360,000

is incorporated into the Friday September 20th number. The-numbers reports previews numbers like that. BOM doesn't really record preview numbers at all.

Excellent jump from previews to Friday for The Wild Robot already. Plus an A cinemascore and a budget under $80m. It’s a win.

Shame Megalopolis didn’t get the F. But a D+ is still awful especially when it’s probably mostly hardcore Coppola fans that showed up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

I don't think anybody goes to see Illumination movies because they're made by Illumination. Illumination just knows how to pick projects and even then they've had their fair share of flops.

Don’t know if I agree with that. Their non-Minion movies typically gross on par with their cash cow franchise, and they love promoting in the trailers and commercials stuff like “From the People who Brought You Despicable Me”. They even have the Minions show up in the studio logos in all the trailers and ads so people know what it’s from.

I don’t think people can recognize the studio name right off the bat like they can with Pixar, but I can’t imagine Blue Sky’s Secret Life of Pets getting anywhere close to 800M

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

If it was the same movie just produced from blue sky It would have grossed like 99% the same. Only weirdos like us even know what animation studio any nonPixar/WDAS is from

I think there is a certain subconscious awareness among the family audience. They do promote their studio name pretty heavily.

Maybe a Meledandri led Blue Sky in the 2000s could've turned that concept into a big hit though.

• Like 1

Jesus, TFOne possibly on track to fall by 60% is tragic. Swear to god, only Paramount could fuck up selling a movie like this. Should’ve had similar, if not better numbers than Mutant Mayhem, and yet it’s like every step of the way they fucked it. 

-Release in August with no competition? Nah, let’s go with one of the worst months for animated movies.

-Create a good first impression? Nah, let’s tank it with a genuinely awful trailer.

-Marketing? Nah, make Bumblebee do tiktok parodies.

-Decent international dubs? Nah, hire an alleged pedophile youtuber and a singer who can’t act for the Latin dub.

-Give it a decent release slot? Nah, put it next to a fucking dreamworks movie. 

I mean god, say what you will about transformers being on a downturn but it wasn’t ever gonna make the same numbers as the live action movies and it didn’t need too. It only needs like, 175 - 200 mil overall for it to succeed, and it should be piss easy for it to get that, but the studio fucked up in basically every conceivable way, to the point where what should’ve been an easy success is now barely likely to crack 100 mil. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

If it was the same movie just produced from blue sky It would have grossed like 99% the same. Only weirdos like us even know what animation studio any nonPixar/WDAS is from

I mean these animated movies love to pimp out “from the studio who brought you X”, so people are going to have at least some understanding that it’s from a studio that made movies they like. Including Wild Robot, which emphasized the How to Train Your Dragon connections in its advertising. They have stuff on Twitter where Roz is interacting with Shrek and Puss for that matter.

Illumination movies love to shove Minions in the advertising, even when it’s not a Minion production. I think people do see that and go “hey, this is from the Despicable Me people. I like Despicable Me. I might watch that.” Maybe it’s not the main reason for their success, but you can’t tell me it doesn’t at least give some minor benefits.

Plus if I can speak personally, when I was a kid, I knew when an animated movie was from DreamWorks. I recognized the logo. And the trailers and ads always said “from DreamWorks” or “from the people who brought you Shrek and Madagascar”. Maybe I was the only kid who paid attention to what animation studio did what, but I strongly doubt that considering how advertising and branding works.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, The Wild Eric said:

I mean these animated movies love to pimp out “from the studio who brought you X”, so people are going to have at least some understanding that it’s from a studio that made movies they like. Including Wild Robot, which emphasized the How to Train Your Dragon connections in its advertising. They have stuff on Twitter where Roz is interacting with Shrek and Puss for that matter.

Illumination movies love to shove Minions in the advertising, even when it’s not a Minion production. I think people do see that and go “hey, this is from the Despicable Me people. I like Despicable Me. I might watch that.” Maybe it’s not the main reason for their success, but you can’t tell me it doesn’t at least give some minor benefits.

Plus if I can speak personally, when I was a kid, I knew when an animated movie was from DreamWorks. I recognized the logo. And the trailers and ads always said “from DreamWorks” or “from the people who brought you Shrek and Madagascar”. Maybe I was the only kid who paid attention to what animation studio did what, but I strongly doubt that considering how advertising and branding works.

It’s less about “Do people know the brand?” (though most parents and grandparents just call all animation “Disney”) and more about “Do they even care/does it actually mean anything to them?”

No one’s interest is piqued in an animated film because DreamWorks of all studios made it. And certainly no one is patiently waiting months or years in advance to see what DreamWorks has in store for them. It’s a consequence of mostly making adaptations and not really having a distinctive voice or style.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

When you're a filmmaker-driven vanity project playing to a niche audience to begin with and can't even please that demo.

He made the movie that he wanted and with his money.

Kudos for one of the greatest directors ever.

• Like 6

The reason they put “from the people who brought you [X movie you liked]” instead of “from studio so and so” is because nobody knows or particularly cares about studio so and so directly. And even then I bet it has almost no impact. People go to see a movie based on the premise or promos looking interesting/good to them and later on buzz from people (reviewers and then GA WOM) who’ve seen it. Take any trailer and replace the studio logo and association with past liked movies with some pretty much any other and you’ll get basically identical performance. Disney/Pixar are exceptions so waht becasue of the long history and quality creating their own kind of cultural aspect but even then something like Frozen or Encanto or Toy Story 1 or Inside Out 1 would have been similar hits if they were blue sky or dream works or illumination or whatever small ball animation studio you please — the movie itself is what audiences liked, followed by the trailer and clips that are a function of the movie itself rather than the studio, and that’s what drives the business

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

The Wild Robot opening to 35M$+ on a late September weekend seems like a pretty good result to me.

If WOM is similarly good as critic reviews are, 150m DOM is definitely on the table since it won't face any real competition for nearly two months.

It really is baffling though that Paramount and Universal thought it was a good idea to open two animated films in back-to-back weeks in SEPTEMBER of all months. One of them likely could have done (a lot) better in October or August.

• Like 1