grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

17 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

Like I'm sure it'll still be successful and profitable and stuff, but for a movie that features Harley Quinn, who became a huge household name after Suicide Squad, and is considered one of the standouts in the recent DC movies, and is paired up with a team of superheroines, I thought it would have been a bigger deal. Maybe not 100M, but 65M at the very least. So the potential for it to open lower than Shazam is kind of bewildering to me. And it's not like WB didn't bother advertising it or did a bad job, because I thought the ads were personally effective enough in selling it to its audience.

Maybe it looked too much like Suicide Squad which turned people off.

I agree with this, I also think the marketing was fine.

I wasn’t expecting a deadpool breakout but I thought Harley was more popular then presales are showing. I’m sure anything can happen and if reviews are great and wom is good it can carry it to a bigger weekend but I can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed with the presales. I’m hoping for the best and that people will come out and support the movie over the weekend. 

On 2/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Birds of Prey (T-3)

MTC1  - overall 1466 shows 27625/310617 473736.46  +5854

MTC2  - overall 1515 shows 10227/254709 132523.97  +2374

It needs to triple the numbers for 5m previews. Should do that barring toxic reviews. I think 4x this number is possible if it gets big boost post reviews. 

WB normally does not do SB spot but this movie releasing week after SB should have had a spot. 

Birds of Prey(T-2)

MTC1  - overall 1618 shows 32459/332628 550232.04 +4835
MTC2  - overall 1869 shows 12518/297325 161516.58 +2291

WB really messed up by delaying reviews so late that they have left too much to do for final 2 days. May be they are hoping this to play more WOM driven than buzz driven. let us see how things go. I will update OD numbers once soon but its doing good and show count has gone up big time as well. I am expecting preview showcount to bump up tomorrow as well as they firm up thursday showtimes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Eric Sionis said:

Like I'm sure it'll still be successful and profitable and stuff, but for a movie that features Harley Quinn, who became a huge household name after Suicide Squad, and is considered one of the standouts in the recent DC movies, and is paired up with a team of superheroines, I thought it would have been a bigger deal. Maybe not 100M, but 65M at the very least. So the potential for it to open lower than Shazam is kind of bewildering to me. And it's not like WB didn't bother advertising it or did a bad job, because I thought the ads were personally effective enough in selling it to its audience.

Maybe it looked too much like Suicide Squad which turned people off.

My 2 cents? It really looks like they fucked up the characters. Roman Sionis, Huntress, Black Canary etc. bear almost no resemblance to the characters we know. I know it's popular now to use comic characters to do one's own thing, but these are comic book movies at the end of the day. Veer too far off the path and a lot of people are going to skip it.

I'm not skipping it. I'll give it a chance. I'm just quite leery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Birds of Prey(T-2)

WB really messed up by delaying reviews so late that they have left too much to do for final 2 days. May be they are hoping this to play more WOM driven than buzz driven. let us see how things go. I will update OD numbers once soon but its doing good and show count has gone up big time as well. I am expecting preview showcount to bump up tomorrow as well as they firm up thursday showtimes. 

Seems like a bit of a lackluster Tues, but I have to admit I’ve often skimmed the exact details and daily gains in the past. Are you still thinking 5-6.3 or so from the national view?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Birds of Prey OD

MTC1 - overall 2926 shows 17820/647118 307468.40

MTC2 - overall 2904 shows 9825/507473 118700.00

This is as of late night yesterday. So MTC1 about 60% of previews(and going up as well) while MTC2 OD is on par with preview sales. So its definitely not frontloaded. I expect previews to OW multi better than Joker. 

Birds of Prey OD

MTC1 OD -3368 shows 23712/721671 402822.19 post 6PM 1753 shows 18014/375526 314034.64  +5892
MTC2 OD - 3914 shows 13388/639023 159698.32 post 6PM 1686 shows 8858/272832 115489.70 +3563

Better day for OD PS than Presales and ratio between MTC1/2 is almost normal. As I said in my previews update, this could be a late bloomer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Seems like a bit of a lackluster Tues, but I have to admit I’ve often skimmed the exact details and daily gains in the past. Are you still thinking 5-6.3 or so from the national view?

if you put a gun on my head I would say lower probably around 5m previews. but with late embargo and muted buzz real action will start tomorrow. It needs a huge couple of days for sure. I will be surprised if that does not happen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am 100% sure it's going to get strong reviews. 

Embargo's way too late for the reviews to have a significant impact. WB's decision behind that is so puzzling

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

So much doom and gloom in this thread. 

I am 100% sure it's going to get strong reviews. 

60m+ OW is happening. Never underestimate Harley. 

This has to be the most (only?) unbiased thread on these forums. Discussion here is purely around raw data. Any sort of doom and gloom is because of what we're seeing from sales reports etc. not from any sort of 'gut feelings'. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Birds of Prey(T-2)

At similar point Joker was 43k with a daily pace of about 9k at MTC2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

At similar point Joker was 43k with a daily pace of about 9k at MTC2. 

So, the subscribers that get only 1 ticket free/month are really not jumping on this with their ticket...since this is about 1/3 overall Joker presales with 1/4 the run rate as of now...

Atom deal has now kicked in, and will work at both MTC 1 and MTC 2 - if their presales don't skyrocket over the next 24 hours b/c of it, this could be a really troubling sign...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

So, BOP is doing good in comparison. 6m+ previews still in play. 

30% the level and 25% the pace would point around 4M previews or below. Of course looking at several days of MTC1+MTC2 will give better results than a single day of MTC2, so still thinking about 5M.

3 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

30% the level and 25% the pace would point around 4M previews or below. Of course looking at several days of MTC1+MTC2 will give better results than a single day of MTC2, so still thinking about 5M.

I just really want BOP do to huge Domestic. Already lost hope for overseas. 

Gotham City Sirens is very anticipated for me personally. 

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I just really want BOP do to huge Domestic. Already lost hope for overseas. 

Gotham City Sirens is very anticipated for me personally. 

I really wanna see Harley and Ivy on the big screen, if that got affected it would be a major bummer.

My “Wednesday of release week” radar is starting to feel like 100 DOM and 150 OS could be incoming... but I was nervous about Jumanji too, so this could end up similar with 160+240 or something, which would be A-okay for the budget.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1