Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

While I'm expecting a better IM for Deadpool 2 than DL, that's still going to be a drop around 65% on a holiday weekend. Not good at all a domestic take of $280-290M seems plausible at this point. Fox should have put this in August, or hell, after IT why not September?

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Another crappy Memorial Day weekend.

With each passing year, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 looks better and better. :sparta:

• Like 1

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

While I'm expecting a better IM for Deadpool 2 than DL, that's still going to be a drop around 65% on a holiday weekend. Not good at all a domestic take of $280-290M seems plausible at this point. Fox should have put this in August, or hell, after IT why not September?

With each passing year, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 looks better and better. :sparta:

1) About the bolded, what a novel idea, isn't it? Make the sequel of your fucking breakout rated r event film it's own special date, not plastered between what would obviously become the biggest superhero film of the genre and a Star Wars film.

Seriously, fucking Hollywood:gold:

2) PotC 3 is fucking BRILLIANT. 

• Like 1

So much money wasting at Disney on Solo. Costing north of $300m, but when you watch the film, you'd think they'd have been able to make the film for half that. There are no out of this world set pieces in the film and theres no huge name actors to pay. Should have just stuck with the first directors instead of reshooting 60-80% (depending on what you read) of the film. 

7 hours ago, Hunch said:

Well until Lucas decided to ca$h out and sold the rights,

Spoiler

there weren't going to be any more Star Wars films. Revenge of the Sith was it. Then Hollywood entered its all-franchises-all-the-time stage and here we are. But if they stop being profitable, of course they will stop making them.

The average Star Wars movie costs about $200-$250m now and they need to make over $700m WW per film to justify that cost. If they dip below that on average, either the budget get slashed and the films are much more low key, or they shelve the series. I'm not saying it will happen, but nothing is impossible.

Read up on the Cars series, compare their ratings, BO with budget,... and ask yourself why they still get made from time to time (and their ~ spinoffs if you want to call them such)

The movies are only a % of what they make for certain franchises, others do not have the same possibilities.

Cars.  74% on RT Cars 2 RT 39%. Cars 3  68% (budget 175m, ww 383m) plans for future existing

.... The brand had sold nearly $10 billion in merchandise by the time of its Cars 2's release in 2011

It's also about being still 'there' in the minds of the potential merchandise customers and future plans like streaming services.

Budget % that went over for whatever reasons are not what I think is used to do calculations for future projects (BO will), analysis why it went over will be included in future projects, especially counting for projects not already in the making, but those will get some attention too

7 hours ago, ACSlater said:

No spoilers but is the movie any good? I mean hell, if it's crap, let it fail.

I like it. It's in my POV a refreshingly not dire story beside... a fun movie.

6 hours ago, Litio said:

A movie that costs $250m + $180m of

Spoiler

marketing making less than $ 500m is not good. I do not know if you're pretending to be forgotten, but the studio does not get all the revenue from the box office. Keep pretending that doing less than 2x the budget is good. Maybe you can fool yourself into thinking you were right all along.

Plus: Let's read some of your funny quotes trying to convince everyone that Solo would be a success:

strange, the quotes you used were not about Solo being a success, they were ~ about the reasons the additional filming might have other costs than other genre-films with additional filming

He does not say it is an success (no one says that) it is about if it is really that a bad situation like in my POV too many here try to make it look like

Yes, it looks like not making its production budget back, but there are different reason why it is less of a minus than the usual calculation models let assume some ppl here, incl ignoring the tax rebates, merchandise see the Cars example above and so on.

The difference is, in most cases a movie needs to make the money out of BO, TV rights and HV. If it is a movie with only local story, it needs it per the local BO, if not....

With franchises there are other calculation models reasons and so on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

So much money wasting at Disney on Solo. Costing north of $300m, but when you watch the film, you'd think they'd have been able to make the film for half that. There are no out of this world set pieces in the film and theres no huge name actors to pay. Should have just stuck with the first directors instead of reshooting 60-80% (depending on what you read) of the film. 

probably because of all the reshoots they did. The movie was near done when they fired the original directors. and ron howard reshot most of the movie.

Edited by YLF

$300 million + budget is hardly surprising. Most of these movies have an initial budget of $200 million+ and when you fire the directors after 80% of the movie is shot and then proceed to reshoot almost all of it, the budget is going to balloon. Based on the way the Deadline comment is phrased the budget may well be closer to $350 million rather than $300 million. 

17 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

So much money wasting at Disney on Solo.

yeah, but...

Studio can afford it.
  • Like 2

I think that 300 million dollar number, if accurate, isn't as bad as it seems. I mean it's horrible, but I suspect this is why marketing was so trash. They may have decided to hold off on marketing, release embargos earlier, and hope that they could source marketing through the fans. Perhaps they were actually keenly aware nobody seemed excited for the movie and decided to spend the money on a product that may age better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I know there has been a lot of crazy news for Solo from all over the world the past few days, but I think the one that will stick with me years from now is Solo opening Friday ~= IW 5th Friday in Brazil. Like, WHAT!?          

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

So I know there has been a lot of crazy news for Solo from all over the world the past few days, but I think the one that will stick with me years from now is Solo opening Friday ~= IW 5th Friday in Brazil. Like, WHAT!?          

Well if Friday is close we could probably expect that IW sat will be bigger than Solo's sat.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

yeah, but...

Studio can afford it.

Yes, they can afford it but they paid $4 billion for Star Wars and are far from recouping their investment. They have a lot more riding on SW9 now after Solo's mediocre performance.

1 minute ago, TLK said:

Yes, they can afford it but they paid $4 billion for Star Wars and are far from recouping their investment. They have a lot more riding on SW9 now after Solo's mediocre performance.

Didnt Star Wars make $300m for Hasbro alone last year?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TLK said:

Sry, thats Bullshit. The three SW movies before Solo grossed 4,4B Dollars worldwide and thats on top of the giant merchandise sales that Disney gets with SW.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, harrycaul said:

It's been the same 4 or 5 people whipping themselves into a frenzy of negativity literally all day, making up ridiculous "projections" and proclaiming endless doom.

The actual estimates don't seem that bad, and now they're all buh buh buh buh...

It's been as entertaining as forums get.

Agree. At the time you wrote that, Friday's were est. higher by Asgard 1, (in case someone jumps on that formulation) but some here are sounding like a caricature of a doom screaming drama queen

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Leaving that though, I will say that I felt like Solo felt more like a winter film than a summer film while watching it. It felt like something that should come out closer to the holidays.

It does have a lot of snow ... too I do agree to that based on that (I do not watch a RL playing during winter... in summer typically)

5 hours ago, XO21 said:

“That bad”

the denial is real...

He wrote that as the estimates were higher, plus see 1 post earlier, a mutli-area company like Disney does look at franchise titles in another way than only per BO

Not denying the numbers, just pointing out they are not all to look out for

4 hours ago, Rebelscum said:

There's also pages of off topic video game and other movie discussions, but yeah talking about the influence that led to this bomb is inconvenient.

what a pathetically dishonest reaction.

Aehm, at the time of that post there were maybe 20% pages of other movies actually in the release, games,... and 80% of what he stated will be now enough

= in my POV that makes this post an aggressive without reason one. So who is the pathetic' post? (Immature wordings anyway)

Edited by terrestrial

2 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Man, whatever happened to Memorial Day being one of the best times of the year for movies? Not only do we have a big opener underperforming again, but even the holdovers aren't doing too hot (the major ones at least).

Agree, take a look at the memorial chart and tell me why ppl still think it is so

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/md.htm

What do ppl do as tradition on that day beside visiting gravesides/memorial sides... going to the movies?

Something like get-togethers with their families?

Parties?

Barbecue with friends?

If it is mostly out-door maybe we have to include weather reports? Not about Solo, I am into general BO, the details that might influence general BO and under which conditions.

That interest me way more than the BO of a solo movie (feels like I never used that term as often)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So, Avengers IW :

650-660m-ish dom final ?

1,9-1,91B-ish WW Final ?

:thinking:

Yeah if it does like zero everywhere from this weekend on it will finish at 1.9-1.91:hahaha: