Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

The problem of this franchise in a nutshell.

Quote some of the old stuff, make it a bit more epic, a bit more modern and throw it at as many screens as possible.

This will work a bit longer for the "Episodes" than the spin-offs. But nor for long.

That's exactly what the franchise has not been doing since TFA, to its box office detriment. Whether you thought the Super Death Star in TFA was stupid or not (I thought it was stupid), it put butts in seats and TLJ nearly matched TFA's incredible opening record.

And let's be real, Luke force-pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky is more than a "bit" more epic than Rey lifting some rocks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

That's exactly what the franchise has not been doing since TFA, to its box office detriment. Whether you thought the Super Death Star in TFA was stupid or not (I thought it was stupid), it put butts in seats and TLJ nearly matched TFA's incredible opening record.

And let's be real, Luke force-pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky is more than a "bit" more epic than Rey lifting some rocks.

I just want to see Light Sabre and X-Wing Fights, is it so much to ask?! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

They should have just made the prequels but without the cheesy dialogue and with better scripts... easy said than done I guess.

Not so hard to add a couple lightsaber battles and not make Luke lil baby who needs his milky from a disgusting alien cow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

10.8 - DP2, 18.8 - Solo,  5.5 - Infinity

weekdays  

DP2 - 10.8 + 5.4 + 3.9 + 3.8 = 232.1      6.5 + 9.0 + 6.5 = 22.0 / 254.1

Solo - 18.8 + 8.0 + 6.0 + 5.0 = 122.0      9.0 + 14.0 + 11.0 = 34.0 / 156.0

IW - 5.5 + 1.7 + 1.2 + 1.1 = 632.1          2.7 + 4.3 + 3.0 = 10.0 / 633.1

That $10m IW weekend that only increases the total with $1m ;)

• Like 1

AIW numbers have been great. Without strong new competition for the next two weekends, I am expecting 10M 6th weekend and around 7M for 7th weekend

Not enough fuel though to reach BP

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You think Deadpool 2 is only dropping 50% next weekend? I would be pleasantly surprised if it did that well. Dropping 65% on a Holiday weekend doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it's dropping under 55%.

I would have agreed with you if there was even one 50M+ opener next weekend. But it is completely empty. All movies should be seeing good drops.

But, assuming 54-55% drop, next weekend should be 20M and week 30M. Take another 50% weekly drop next weekend, and DP2 will be at 275M when Incredibles opens.

285M is the low end I am seeing right now.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, melmanko said:

But aiw monday Number ís nôt 5,5 but only 3,8 mil according to BOM .  Such a huge drop

There is an asgardian god here called Rth that gives us updated numbers before studios confirm them.

As many here expected, Monday was heavily underestimated by Disney. IW grossed 5.5M and Solo 18.8M, acording to our god.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, stripe said:

After horrible Friday/Saturday start, Sunday/Monday numbers seem kind of solid for Solo. I would say it will outgross JL and reach around 240M DOM

And it will make 150-200mil less worldwide. .

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Ocean's 8 is breaking out 100%. I know it's tracking $30-$45M or something but if it's well

recieved, I could see it hitting the higher end of it's tracking if not more and getting to $50M 

I'm not so sure about that. That is releasing the same week as Hereditary which is already getting strong reviews and should pull the horror crowd despite being more indie based. So there's already that against it. The monstrous Incredibles 2 releases the next week which a lot of families could be saving for and the giant Jurassic World the week after that.

As far as Oceans 8, the trailers have been underwhelming and have not generated a ton of hype. One has 11 million views and the other has almost 10 million. That's not breakout numbers.

If Oceans 8 does not get stellar reviews, I wouldn't be so confident to say it does anything huge but I understand it's potential to be something like The Heat. Everything has to go right though and I haven't seen a ton of marketing for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

What did you think TLJ was focused on? Just because you didn't like the story doesn't mean it didn't focus on telling a good story. You can say it failed although I'd argue that just because some fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad story especially when they are missing an entire part of the story: episode 9. 

I liked TFA, I thought TLJ went in interesting places, and I'm excited to see where Episode 9 goes. But if Episode 9 decides to retcon TLJ, it's going to lose me. It's that simple.

It seems the director took the complaints about TFa being to similar to the old films and fixated at subverting expectations....

So much so he sort of forgot he was making an 8th film in a 40 year series and now is sad why people dont like his film.

• Like 3