Eric is Anxious

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

30 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Thank you for the review!

Well, if Tenet gets a re-release after COVID I will hopefully have a chance to see it on the big screen then. However, it appears more and more likely that I'll be watching it on a 24" monitor for my initial viewing. The four year old, who we refer to as C4, hit the TV panel with a cup, so that's toast. Not buying another TV in this house any time soon. C4's older brother, C3, did the same thing to the previous TV a couple years ago only it was a butter knife. (The joys of raising two boys with ADHD). Between the pair of TVs they did not last for a year of service.

However, even a 24" display will be far better than the 3.7" phone display I used for my first screening of Inception (and Iron Man 2). Sitting a couple feet away from my monitor, it should be just fine.  My vision is not what it used to be, so I don't think I'd even attempt to watch something like Inception or Tenet on a phone these days, and that's with a relatively huge 6" phone.... but a monitor will suffice even if I lose the impact of the big visuals.

For me, Nolan films can be visually stunning but the more important aspects are the narrative and acting. So unless Tenet is more of a Michael Bay film, where all it has is the visuals, I'll probably still enjoy it if it is well done.

Re-release post covid is mandatory worldwide. Chances of doing great numbers are more likely than not.

14 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

this movie made no damn sense and if it didn't have "directed by christopher nolan" at the beginning, it would have an rt score of 30%

That was exactly my opinion. It was a complete waste of my time. I did not care for any of the characters and was not even invested in the protagonist character even a bit. The movie failed completely in entertaining me. 

Hope Nolan goes back to his 00s type of movies. 

The movie has staying power with me. I loved and still can't stop thinking about it. I'm going to see it again this weekend. I know and have heard/seen many others feel the same way. And the movie makes sense you just weren't paying attention.

Edited by mldardy
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Probably my least favorite Nolan tbh. It's baseline entertaining, well-crafted, but yea no staying power

Following is easily my least favorite Nolan film that I've seen. Tenet's probably somewhere in the middle for me. 

Insomnia is the only film of his that I haven't seen, but I am getting HBO Max fairly soon, so I'll be able to cross that one off and fully complete his filmography.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 1:44 AM, mldardy said:

And the movie makes sense you just weren't paying attention.

This is an incredibly ignorant way of thinking. Just because you understood the film doesn't mean the film makes sense to everyone. 

Clearly lots of people have seen Tenet, and didn't understand it. Do you genuinely believe all those people are... idiots? People who can't concentrate? What...?

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

This is an incredibly ignorant way of thinking. Just because you understood the film doesn't mean the film makes sense to everyone. 

Clearly lots of people have seen Tenet, and didn't understand it. Do you genuinely believe all those people are... idiots? People who can't concentrate? What...?

Incredibly ignorant...? Someone clearly woke up on the wrong side of bed today. He/She specifically used the words " weren't paying attention'. How you go from that to " idiots " is beyond me. I can tell my fiancee she didn't pay attention during Tenet and to take it as me calling her an idiot would be an absolute stretch. Lots of people don't pay much attention during movies, that's why most of the highest grossing movies are pieces that can be understood by everyone, without requiring much attention to details. The majority of movie-goers just go to the cinema for other reasons.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 1:08 PM, Avatree said:

I think it goes:

1. The Prestige

2. The Dark Knight Rises

3. Batman Begins

4. Inception

5. The Dark Knight

6. Interstellar

7. Insomnia

8. Tenet

9. Dunkirk

(havent seen Memento)

This is about the same as my list. I've got a big gap between The Prestige and everything else, it is by far my favorite. I also have TDKR much lower and TDK at #2. I don't think Nolan knew how to wrap up that trilogy after Ledger's passing. It was pretty clear, IMO, from TDK that the Joker was penciled in for a big role.

Haven't had any opportunity to see Tenet because it isn't showing anywhere in my home state, but based on your and others feedback now I'm not looking forward to it like I was. That's a bummer. I was hoping for another Nolan masterpiece.