Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

33 minutes ago, john2000 said:

This is the "save Marvel face" post...didn't we hear that Luca was given free b/c they feared a $30M open?  Although $60M PA means its likely topping out there at $100M tops...

And I said it would be $80M no matter what, so I expect this may not make that number by Monday...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Black Widow was clearly frontloaded but all things considered - being a solo spin-off for a character that died in her previous movie, going through at least three late-in-the-game release date changes due to COVID, being available to watch at home (albeit for a hefty price) at the same time - scoring the best opening of the pandemic era is a really good achievement. Guessing Disney decided to release + sales to make its numbers look more impressive since this was always going to be a bigger deal in any environment than Cruella or Raya ever were.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

You're also forgetting outside that over 60 million they also get the monthly subscription Disney+ fee too...

I dont know about anyone else but with the delta variant etc I'm expecting them to announce Shang Chi will be a PA and theaters release come September, especially with the Labor Day weekend, that nearly makes more sense to me then BW did.

This time next week I expect we'll know if they are going to do it and i'm leaning towards a dual release now that they announced the Black Widow Disney + numbers

Edited by Ryaner90

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The spin in that Deadline article is amazing. They really want a "Big success, well done" narrative out there asap instead of the "Wait, that was a badly front loaded weekend with a weak OS take" narrative

Amen - I'm out of reactions, so I owe you one:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is the "save Marvel face" post...didn't we hear that Luca was given free b/c they feared a $30M open?  Although $60M PA means its likely topping out there at $100M tops...

And I said it would be $80M no matter what, so I expect this may not make that number by Monday...

But most of that 100m goes to them , I don't see any bad thing or financial failure here. 

BW would have to gross 120M more on box office to bring the same 60M profit for Disney. And this 60M PA is only for the first 2-2.5 days

Considering the movie also did pretty good on theaters i have a very hard time seeing where's the failure.

I see why it's bad for box office lovers but come on, they're not losing any money with this. This movie would have to debut with almost 300M globally without China to bring the same money for them, and this is not happening with or without PA.

They treat this as a win because it is. And beyond this discussions, is bringing solid results for theaters too who really needs successful movies right now.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Hmm, that was on May

Year-to-date Top 10 (through May 2021):

The Croods: A New Age (Universal/DreamWorks)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner)

Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney)

Monster Hunter (Sony Pictures)

I Can Only Imagine (Lionsgate)

Soul (Disney)

News of the World (Universal)

Greenland (Universal/STX)

Justice League (Warner)

The Meg (Warner)

Raya spend more weeks at the top after that

Checking the movie out on flixpatrol, it is not even in the top 10 on any of the major vod stores for this year: https://flixpatrol.com/title/raya-and-the-last-dragon/

I don’t know why they feel like the have to spin this number. It is a terrific number. By spinning it, they only make some people think that the movie under-performed. I recall when WW84 was released, ATT/WB released these very nebulous figures which led people to believe that it didn’t perform well. Instead they should have been touting how well it performed compared to other movies at that time. Black Widow is head and shoulders ahead of anything released during the pandemic/“post” pandemic so far. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blankments said:

60m in global PA is not good btw lol; 2 million accounts downloading it globally when it will certainly have no real legs in that market is nothing to brag about. I remember people speculating that Disney could make around 200-250m for Mulan on PA and as it took to now for Disney to brag about PA, this just makes me think it’s been a pretty consistent failure lol 

Another reaction owed - yes, Disney's failed with PA, probably due to the pricing...

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nowhere close. So far it's quite easily Tenet.

In the UK, it’s Wonder Woman 1984 :) 

9 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Welp, now everyone can go back to watching Loki, right?

I ditched Loki after episode 1. Still to finish FATWS. 

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I dunno, the Sunday drop they’re going with is pretty reasonable (-26%). 

Both things are right here imo, the opening weekend worldwide was good and Disney also used the PA buy as spin to make things look better cause they’ve never given that info before.

But honestly any company is going to do that so I don’t see the big deal. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ryaner90 said:

You're also forgetting outside that over 60 million they also get the monthly subscription Disney+ fee too...

I dont know about anyone else but with the delta variant etc I'm expecting them to announce Shang Chi will be a PA and theaters release come September, especially with the Labor Day weekend, that nearly makes more sense to me then BW did.

This time next week I expect we'll know if they are going to do it and i'm leaning towards a dual release now that they announced the Black Widow Disney + numbers

I actually expect it to go day and date for a different reason - I don't think they trust the quality and reception of the movie (seeing the trailers), and they don't want a "true full open" lower than Black Widow's for the 1st real Phase 4 movie...

Weekend number has been unusually weak this summer compared to pre-pandemic time. I don't remember seeing this weak Fri-Sat nump before covid and this hit MCU particularly hard because MCU film normally have Saturday shot. 

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t know why they feel like the have to spin this number. It is a terrific number. By spinning it, they only make some people think that the movie under-performed. I recall when WW84 was released, ATT/WB released these very nebulous figures which led people to believe that it didn’t perform well. Instead they should have been touting how well it performed compared to other movies at that time. Black Widow is head and shoulders ahead of anything released during the pandemic/“post” pandemic so far. 

agreed