Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

31 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Earlier the movie come on the streaming platform, adds to the value of the streaming platform.

I think 17 days PVOD and 45 days free on streaming/SVOD is a good move. Gives the theatrical exclusivity enough time to get those who wanna go and watch it, while give the consumers content they wanna watch on their devices in right time when content is still buzzing.

Frankly I don't want Indian/Russian style of week-to-week box office collapse in NA.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mattie08 said:

Wow, made it through all 39 pages, what a ride. :sparta:

Thrilled to see these numbers and to contribute to them later tonight. Also wanted to add my own little anecdote — I had tickets to see SC with my cousin Thursday at 7, and when I picked our seats it was the fullest theater I would have been to post-pandemic (BW would have been close, but that’s it). BUT, neither of us, coming from opposite directions, having left early, and using every trick in the book, could get around the Ida-flooded roads to reach the theater. (In the Northeast U.S.) At 7 PM on the dot, I saw that Fandango had automatically cancelled and refunded the tickets. I then made my twice-the-normal-time trip back home. Neither of us had the heart to try again yesterday/Friday. Wish me luck tonight!

Made it last night, enjoyed it!!! Oh, and to add to the anecdote…my cousin’s whole family decided to join us at the last second (both parents and two brothers). So strong walk-ups/higher end of estimates confirmed. :hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Probably mix of all. Besides tracking is based on some 1000 people polling while for pre-sales we take the interest of hundreds of thousands people, who just don't say they will watch a film but pay for it.

True but ideally this sort of tracking should provide info about those who haven't bought tickets yet. Like if a film has high presales but low interest, it should be very presale-heavy since it didn't attract the general audience. It doesn't seem to really do that though. 

9 hours ago, MrPink said:

Glad you have come back for Shang Chi's release, it would have been wrong if you weren't here. I will be seeing the movie next week.

I fully expect a thesis about Tony Leung after your viewing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Frankly I don't want Indian/Russian style of week-to-week box office collapse in NA.

There is difference in box office trend of markets. In US films do 25% of its week numbers in weekdays while in India they can do 40%.

Even with 60% weekly drops in India a film can do 2.7x its weekend while in US 60% drops will barely get you 2.25x.

• Like 1

But I don't share in the enthusiasm for the entertainment value this latest Marvel concoction, I am doing backflips and shooting off six shooters just like curly Bill and tombstone. I'm thrilled that theaters are busy again. I saw this at 11:00 a.m. yesterday in the theater was half full. The afternoon showings were filling up and IMAX was sold out pretty much across Toronto by early afternoon. So hopefully this is in springboard for better things to come for the rest of the year for theaters. God knows they need it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

Like if a film has high presales but low interest, it should be very presale-heavy since it didn't attract the general audience.

Anyone can have data but you also need to know to read that. Demon Slayer was beating MK pre-sales by 2x IIRC but we knew that numbers may still end up lower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is difference in box office trend of markets. In US films do 25% of its week numbers in weekdays while in India they can do 40%.

Even with 60% weekly drops in India a film can do 2.7x its weekend while in US 60% drops will barely get you 2.25x.

That means US films need more weekends and lower w/e drops in theaters to make the same multiplier.  Cutting the theatrical window won't make Americans go to the theater more on weekdays.   More will just wait for streaming. 

India is also deficient in number of screens and theaters which is why they lose screens so quickly (and why a clash is so dreaded) so films can't significantly last more than 3 weekends (if that) unless they're a real break out.

41 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Yes, those kind of box office run are boring as hell. You may occasionally get some mega-opener for a one-week hype but they quickly disappear. The total final box office always been so predictable.  

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Free Guy grossed ¥120M ($18.6M) in China during its 2nd weekend, dropping just 22% from opening weekend. The 10-days total stands at ¥369M ($57M). Heading for ¥625M ($97M) plus full run and possibly $100M.

+300M locked

Ryan Reynolds truly won, sequel is inevitable 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Free Guy grossed ¥120M ($18.6M) in China during its 2nd weekend, dropping just 22% from opening weekend. The 10-days total stands at ¥369M ($57M). Heading for ¥625M ($97M) plus full run and possibly $100M.

Lol at this being Disney's biggest (er... only I guess?) China grosser. I hope Shang Chi gets dated.

• Like 2