Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

I'm gonna start calling my family the new "GA sample audience" b/c if I listen to their reactions, I seem to really nail blockbuster OWs...

That said, ignore my Spidey prediction b/c that's all me, my heart, and my own gut:)...unlike Eternals, where I stood on under $100M all year, even after BW and Shang Chi, (and where it looks like we will actually have BW OW +/-10%), my heart just wants a dang stellar open for my favorite super inhabited by my favorite actor in that character ever...and after 2 years in this decade, wouldn't it be nice to see a no sh&t, spectacular, awesome, this is incredible open again?

At least ignore my prediction til we see presales and theater sets - then, maybe I'll let hopes get up:)...

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

E - 21.5-22
D - 2.2
N - 1.75
V2 - 1.15

Ron - 0.8

S - 0.65

55.5% from last Friday and probably between $6.8-7.2m 3rd weekend (53-56% drop). Sub 60%! in any case which is great. Encouraging signal that losing PLF/IMAXs doesn't seem to crash it down.

At the same time its weekday legs are very strong: 2nd weekend-to-cume multiplier was 1.46 vs. NTTD's 1.39. Dune grossed even 2.5x GvK during this week's weekdays.

Going to this weekend Dune had $76.3m vs. GvK's $72.8m. Dune is on its way overcoming GvK's $100.6m domestic box office and becoming WB's number 1 domestic DaD release. With this trajectory it's heading closer to $110m than $100m.

• Like 3

Keep in mind how empty the next 6 weeks are and how much room that current films are going to have to play.  

Clifford, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, King Richard, Encanto, House of Gucci, Resident Evil and West Side Story are the only wide releases between now and Dec. 17th.  It is basically 1 film per week on average.  

Eternals, Dune, No Time To Die and others might stay on screen until Spider-Man because there is nothing else to push them off.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 11

Just came out.

Poeple were saying the first 1 hour was slow and I do agree but oh boy was it a hot mess ,past and present scenes didn't mesh well and it was all over the place. 

The second half was more focused and saved the movie though the third act didn't quite land properly for me

Deviants plotline was also terrible.

Eternals across the board were good but needed more development, Sersi was the only exception ,she was pretty bland.

Arimesh was Mind-blowing.

Chloe zhao didn't quite get it together. Side with the critics at least on the first half.

First act 3/10

Middle act 8/10

Third act. 7/10

6.7/10 just a nudge above black widow.

• Like 2

Marvel is not invincible anymore. First major blow to MCU brand. From next time Audience won't go to see movie in theatre just because it's MCU. B is horrible cinemascore for MCU. 

It isn't going to be easy ride for MCU from here onwards. Spider-Man will be saved due to nostalgia but DS2 , Thor 4 , BP2 and The Marvels all will have to overcome major hurdles. 

• Haha 8
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel is not invincible anymore. First major blow to MCU brand. From next time Audience won't go to see movie in theatre just because it's MCU. B is horrible cinemascore for MCU. 

It isn't going to be easy ride for MCU from here onwards. Spider-Man will be saved due to nostalgia but DS2 , Thor 4 , BP2 and The Marvels all will have to overcome major hurdles. 

Is this post parody or are you serious?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Not they won't. Marvel's fine. This is a three hour long, poorly reviewed team of Z-listers with no hook to casual audiences and it still did high 70s. The other movies are major sequels that will make a bajillion dollars. Trust me I hate what these movies have done to film as an art and would pay good money for what you are saying to come true. Like your lips to God's ears and all that. But it's just not going to happen. They're fine.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

All back to the typical marvel formula with one linear storytelling which is easy to digest (can turn off the brain and enjoy the movie), full of  nonstop action + typical marvel joke. 

Problem solve. 

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

Is this post parody or are you serious?

Considering all the production problems going on right now , this is easy to deduce. 

DS2 has some problems and it's pretty well known even outside of Grace as source

Thor 4 could go either way 

BP2 has to overcome literally many problems and hurdles

The Marvels won't have Avengers cushion+ Ms. Marvel changes are going to cause many controversy.