CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

41 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Mixed feelings between the film itself and the wider implications of the positive start.

The film itself....eesh, not so much. Was expecting decent things from what had been said, but 4 pop culture references in the first 2 minutes got me annoyed and there were only more from there. It's a kids movie, but a Dora-like pure kids movie rather than a Pixar-esque movie for everyone. I enjoyed Dora more though as it felt more adventurous, had more humour, and didn't rely on a pop culture reference every 30 seconds. This was not for me. Not for me at all.

However James Marsden succeeding in headlining a movie, Paramount getting a win, audiences getting a family hit and Jim Carey visibly having some fun are all good things. I do hope, despite my preferences, that this does well and that the foreign market, where this seems like it's more likely to struggle, holds up.

I liked the film but Sonic needs to be toned down for the sequel, the hyperactivity was on the verge of being annoying and the pop culture references need to go or be reduced

• Like 1

So its just doing okay overseas? Oh well...is 500M possible? That would beat Rampage. A couple of the Resident Evil movies towards the end of the series did okay, about 300M worldwide. I know Sonic will do well in Japan, but I was hoping for a China breakout. The virus is going on there right now though.

2020 Villain List update:

#1 *new* Jim Carrey's Doctor Robotnik 😅

Runner Up: Miles (The Turning)

3. Black Mask (Birds of Prey)

Edited by OdinSon2k14

7 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

So its just doing okay overseas? Oh well...is 500M possible? That would beat Rampage. A couple of the Resident Evil movies towards the end of the series did okay, about 300M worldwide. I know Sonic will do well in Japan, but I was hoping for a China breakout. The virus is going on there right now though.

2020 Villain List update:

#1 *new* Jim Carrey's Doctor Robotnic 😅

Runner Up: Miles (The Turning)

3. Black Mask (Birds of Prey)

Why do you say it will do well in Japan? Not only do American adaptations of Japanese properties often not do well over there, but Sonic has never been all that popular in Japan to begin with. 

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why do you say it will do well in Japan? Not only do American adaptations of Japanese properties often not do well over there, but Sonic has never been all that popular in Japan to begin with. 

Japan ruddy LOVES Olive Garden, jokes about Olive Garden, and repeated references to Olive Garden. They can't get enough of it.

I’m confused how this beat Detective Pikachu. It doesn’t make sense lol. The last sonic game culdnt even sell 1 million copies and most of games had horrible reviews.

Pokemkn Sword And Shield were some of the best selling games of last year and sold 16 million copies in a month. A record breaking sales for switch games!!!

Edited by Tentatek

8 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

I’m confused how this beat Detective Pikachu. It doesn’t make sense lol. The last sonic game barely sold 1 million copies and most of games have horrible reviews.

Pokemkn Sword And Shield were some of the best selling game of last year and sold 16 million copies in a month. A record breaking sales for switch games!!!

Jim Carrey still a draw in the right role.

• Like 2

Happy to see this is doing well. 

* Gives folks more viewing options than BOP and holdovers

* Jim Carrey channeling 1990s Jim Carrey. This is a good thing. 

* Non-Disney films are continuing to do well. 

* Bodes well for further classic video game adaptations like Mario and Zelda (one can dream)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Mixed feelings between the film itself and the wider implications of the positive start.

The film itself....eesh, not so much. Was expecting decent things from what had been said, but 4 pop culture references in the first 2 minutes got me annoyed and there were only more from there. It's a kids movie, but a Dora-like pure kids movie rather than a Pixar-esque movie for everyone. I enjoyed Dora more though as it felt more adventurous, had more humour, and didn't rely on a pop culture reference every 30 seconds. This was not for me. Not for me at all.

However James Marsden succeeding in headlining a movie, Paramount getting a win, audiences getting a family hit and Jim Carey visibly having some fun are all good things. I do hope, despite my preferences, that this does well and that the foreign market, where this seems like it's more likely to struggle, holds up.

You nailed it with this part. Even if a lot of us don't care for the film, or don't care to watch it in the first place, it's a giant success for all the people involved, not to mention the people who DO like it so I'm thrilled. As a box office fan, I just want all movies to succeed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tentatek said:

I’m confused how this beat Detective Pikachu. It doesn’t make sense lol. The last sonic game culdnt even sell 1 million copies and most of games had horrible reviews.

Pokemkn Sword And Shield were some of the best selling games of last year and sold 16 million copies in a month. A record breaking sales for switch games!!!

DP had the huge misfortune of opening two weeks after the biggest movie of all time.

16 hours ago, Tentatek said:

14 hours ago, shayhiri said:

The power of Carrey!!

Single-handedly making a hit - out of even the shittiest brand!

This is a VIDEOGAME property, man - the lowliest kind out there - and he still saved it!

You guys are greatly under-estimating Sonic's brand power. Sure, most of his games have been struggling for the last two decades. His games barely manage to sell 1 million copies each, which is nothing compared to the 10 million+ that each Mario and Pokemon game sells. So it might give the impression that Sonic is just a has-been who is irrelevant today.

But there are plenty of hints that Sonic is still a power-house today. Back in the '90s, Sonic was one of the most widely recognized characters, rivaling Mario and Mickey Mouse. While his brand power has diminished since then, there's always been a large dormant population who still recognize Sonic and have fond nostalgic memories of him from the '90s.

And then there's a new generation of kids who have been introduced to Sonic over time in other ways. For example, the Sonic mobile games. Each Sonic mobile game routinely pulls 100 million+ free downloads. Then there's the Sonic cartoons, which have been fairly popular with young kids. And then there's the Sonic comics, which have a cult following. So it was really only a matter of time before the right Sonic product came along to ignite a large dormant Sonic fanbase and Sonic-recognizing general population.

• Like 2

If nothing else, Sonic has probably always been a more talked about franchise than most of the properties over at Nintendo. Sure, the games don’t do as well as a lot of the stuff that Nintendo puts out, but they’ve always been more fascinating to discuss (for better or worse) than something like the Mario franchise. 

51 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Also didn't Sonic Mania do extremely well? That was the same year as Forces

Sonic Mania sold over 1 million copies. Which is more than Sonic Forces (which I think was around a half-million), and is very profitable considering its low budget (since Mania is a fan-made game). But that's still nowhere near Mario or Pokemon numbers, with Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Sword/Shield selling over 16 million each. Even frickin' Crash Bandicoot Trilogy sold 10 million. Sonic just isn't in the same league anymore, sales wise.

So it's safe to say Sonic just isn't the blockbuster video game franchise that it used to be. Yet at the same time, Sonic has been expanding beyond his core video games, into free-to-play mobile games, cartoon/anime shows, and comic books. That's how a new generation of kids got introduced to Sonic. While much of the mass media and social media kept trashing Sonic for his core games flopping and struggling, they overlooked his success in expanding beyond his core video games.

Edited by Watcher