WrathOfHan

All the Money in the World | 25th of December, 2017 | Wahlberg's gotta get paid

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Right now I'm predicting Rockwell/Dafoe/Jenkins/Harrelson/Odenkirk with Plummer in sixth. Carell isn't like Blunt because he has the Globe+SAG combo. I don't think anyone in the Academy cares about BOTS enough for him to get in, but it could be a random nomination.

Carrell shouldn't be in, regardless of performance. Supporting is such ridiculous category fraud even the Golden Globes didn't fall for it.  I'm shocked SAG did.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Right now I'm predicting Rockwell/Dafoe/Jenkins/Harrelson/Odenkirk with Plummer in sixth. Carell isn't like Blunt because he has the Globe+SAG combo. I don't think anyone in the Academy cares about BOTS enough for him to get in, but it could be a random nomination.

Carell isn't happening at the Oscars. Given the themes of his movie, it would be a lightning rod for controversy if he got nominated when Stone (who has no chance of a nomination at this point) didn't.

Just now, filmlover said:

Carell isn't happening at the Oscars. Given the themes of his movie, it would be a lightning rod for controversy if he got nominated when Stone (who has no chance of a nomination at this point) didn't.

i can't see battle of the sexes being a lightning rod of anything.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Wonder Woman director helped secret recasting for All the Money in the World

“When a call goes out to the casting agencies, ‘Ridley Scott is looking for an actor to play a 90-year-old guy,’ pretty much everybody knows what movie that is,” Scarpa explained. So they turned to Jenkins, who was working with her screenwriter husband, Sam Sheridan, on TNT’s One Day She’ll Darken series.

“Ridley’s casting agents basically asked if they could send the call out for the part under their production’s name,” Scarpa said. “So basically it was, ‘Patty Jenkins is looking for a 90-year-old guy.’ That was basically how they were able to do it. There was a lot of this sort of… crafty maneuvers in order to make this thing come off.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/23/all-the-money-in-the-world-patty-jenkins-christopher-plummer/

Edited by AndyK

Pretty decent film. It definitely feels overlong, particularly in the beginning, and Wahlberg and Charlie Plummer didn't really do anything great, but it's still pretty captivating and there's some pretty solid performances from both Michelle Williams and especially Christopher Plummer. I'd say it's worth a watch.

The script is occasionally routine but overall its a taut well paced thriller thats elevated a great deal by its performances, direction, cinematography, and score.  Its till hard to believe that whole Plummer recasting shit was pulled off, its completely seamless and he's the best part of the movie.  Its a very dialogue heavy movie so I can see certain audiences getting bored because theres almost no action in it although theres one really grisly scene thats kinda hard to watch.  Better than Ridley Scott's other good crime drama American Gangster IMO.

• Like 3

As much as I admire and respect Sir Ridley, he felt like the wrong guy to tackle this subject. For no particular reason, Fincher sprang to mind as it sat on me since this afternoon.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Strangely they make the choice to kill off J. Paul Getty before his grandson Paul is rescued. Not sure why since the real life result was ripe material. He reportedly called the Old Bastard to thank him... and he refused to come to the phone. Real sweetheart. Hell they don't even bother to say what happened to the kid afterwards. Google it, pretty fucked up.

A friend of mine has been saying this since from the start, and he's right. Christopher Plummer will most definitely get a "Best Supporting Actor" Oscar nomination and were it not for the inevitability of Willem Dafoe (or the dark-horse of Woody Harrelson), he'd be winning. If for no other reason than sending a message, and he happens to be quite the son-of-a-bitch onscreen. To anyone wondering, there's only one scene where he's obviously green-screened in (the bit from the original trailer with him in the desert). Though it really made me want to see the original Kevin Spacey performance. I have a feeling it was much stronger.

Plummer will get all the talk but Romain Duris as one of the abductors (the only sympathetic one) walks away with the film, performance-wise. Everyone else is fine, nonetheless.

So yeah, it's... alright?

• Like 2

is ridley throwing shade or am i reading too much into shit?

You originally had finished, edited scenes that included Kevin Spacey. Did you show those to Christopher Plummer?
You have to protect the new actor. I would never show Christopher what Kevin did. I want him to be his own man. He is his own man in this one, and a lot of that comes from the inherent nature of Christopher, who is essentially very charming, has that twinkle, has that smile, and when he’s playing with those words, is a motherfucker. He can give it a bit more depth. Kevin — who, without question, did a great job — was colder. The humor was cooler, except he was quite nice to the boy who he walks around the park of Hadrian’s Villa. That was a nice scene with Kevin. That was the softest I’ve seen Kevin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3