ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

27 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

For sure is, if someone hasn't seen it I highly recommend. Under that fun fluff, and perhaps outdated exterior,  are also deeper ideas about childhood and adulthood, of their goods and bads, and how we unfortunately forget what it was like to be a kid, at least the joyful and empowering parts.

Peter and Wendy "twist" was also hard but part of life. The whole movie is dancing on the edge of sorrow and joy for what it is to grow up.

This reminds me of people try to defend 1941 and I’m like “yeah I’m off to the store to get some smokes” and I never return.

Hook is the poster child of sentimental Spielberg at his very worst, funny enough made after Always. Thankfully whatever his problem was at the time, he gave us a historic 1993 in return. 

37 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah but looking at that "Bollywood" scene...I mean it doesn't take much effort at all to hire some Indian consultant who would immediately realize that it was off. Or just watch a Bollywood movie...I have hardly even watched any, just clips, but man. 

Thus why I wrote “trip.”

56 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

all the people who have been celebrating marvel getting its first rotten movie on RT from critics are going to be disappointed when Eternals opens to 75M-100M this weekend.

It's MCU, it was always going to open well, it's just a matter of how well. 

43 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

It might open to 75-90 million but will it have good legs like Shang-Chi did or will it be more Venom 2 like in that regards?

Shang-Chi while good, had the huge benefit of having zero competition for an entire month.  Eternals will not have the same luxury in November.  

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

all the people who have been celebrating marvel getting its first rotten movie on RT from critics are going to be disappointed when Eternals opens to 75M-100M this weekend.

Would $75m really stop the bad press? I don’t think so. 

Black Widow had Disney+ and piracy and did $80m.

Shang-Chi had neither and did $75m 9 weeks ago. The market has improved. 

$90m+ should be the bar. 

19 minutes ago, Avatar Legion said:

I would use any country but Korea tbh, there are two different idiosyncratic factors that will play into things there.

yeah. maybe the it is not too bad to the point they gave it rotten egg but those factors might trigger and made them unbearable

Edited by Danhjpn

Is it weird that I find myself more excited about the aftermath of this movie than the actual movie itself? This is their first big blunder, and I can't help but be intrigued. Any other producer would have thrown everyone involved under the bus and retcon this movie out later, but Feige doesn't seem like a particularly reactionary guy. My guess is that they'll shelve this IP for a while and tonally reboot it later down the line with a more fun and upbeat storyteller akin to James Gunn or Taika Waititi. It worked for Thor and made him a fan favourite, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it another shot. Perhaps toning down the overwhelming scale and using a more Kirby-esque color palette might help. We'll see.

• Like 1

I think some people hate the MCU in the same way people hate Alabama football. 
Eternals figures to be like Alabama losing to Texas A&M. It is meaningful and if you’re sick of Bama, it’s a win. 
It doesn’t mean Alabama isn’t still Alabama. 
So, too much celebration or analysis of it can get silly. 

Edited by Mr Terrific
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/31/2021 at 10:42 AM, Inceptionzq said:

I don’t understand this take. If Eternals had good reviews, would you be saying it was needless and random? What makes something in a huge cinematic universe needless and random?

Nobody asking for it. Also yes, a needless and random film getting good reviews doesn't make it less random or needless. Actually a truly needless film wouldn't get a good reception so...

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Is it weird that I find myself more excited about the aftermath of this movie than the actual movie itself? This is their first big blunder, and I can't help but be intrigued. Any other producer would have thrown everyone involved under the bus and retcon this movie out later, but Feige doesn't seem like a particularly reactionary guy. My guess is that they'll shelve this IP for a while and tonally reboot it later down the line with a more fun and upbeat storyteller akin to James Gunn or Taika Waititi. It worked for Thor and made him a fan favourite, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it another shot. Perhaps toning down the overwhelming scale and using a more Kirby-esque color palette might help. We'll see.

Most of complains will solve naturally i think. You have 10 characters but the sequel doesn't have to introduce them again, the sequel also can follow a more traditional structure without have to show 7000 years of history which will solve both editing issues and the feeling of overstuff happening.

I certainly wasn't expect this movie to be rotten but it's always a tricky movie, maybe it will face rejection but the biggest challenge is done here. I doubt they need to change visually because that's one of the highlights, they just need to make it more grounded and easy to follow next time, they can even keep Chloe since people isn't really complaining about her direction, just change the tone a bit and be more careful with the script.

• Like 2