Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

I think there are a ton of factors as to why Solo flopped but I read an article by a blogger I follow and she brought up a good point. After discussing a multitude of factors (like it being an average movie, the marketing sucking, TLJ etc) she brought up affordability. Going to the movies isn't cheap. I guess as a student, I don't feel the financial burden of it. But she mentioned how when you have so many movies aimed at the same demo, it soaks up a lot of the market. I know I laughed at Disney blaming Infinity War and Deadpool 2 but it is something to consider. Not just in terms of finances but in terms of time too. Not everyone likes going to the theaters 3-4 times in one month. But she mentioned how MoviePass has the right idea and she thinks it's in the best interest of theaters going forward to implement something similar.

She concluded by saying that summer of 2019 will be the year where theaters/and studios finally see this because she thinks there's going to be several movies that bomb given the schedule despite them being well received. 

I dont know if i 100% agree with her but I do believe it's something to consider. As she put it: Deadpool 2 was a fender bender but Solo was driven off the course....just wait for the pile ups to continue. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

For real though, entertainment "journalists" and pundits are straight garbage when it comes to BO analysis.  Its just that Mendelson dipped into self parody awhile ago.

When your audience never made a decision in their life based on your output and for a lot of them does not know much, when you cannot ever be showned of being wrong or right the year later with clear audited published result and when being garbage bring you I would imagine more clicks....

That is bond to happen.

3 minutes ago, REC said:

So given that Solo is a complete disaster at the box office, does anyone here have any predictions about what it's 2nd weekend will look like?  Honestly curious.  Since predictions for this movie are probably out the window and it's anyone's overtly pessimistic guess...

Just took a quick look at the JL numbers, the movie did 78m in it's Mon-Sun after that opening weekend, ending at about 171m end of day Sunday on the 2nd weekend.  After that it dramatically fell even further obviously.  Of course JL did about 93m in its first 3 days, Solo doesn't even come up to that level, but it had a better Monday than JL putting them both at 101m after 4 days.

JL total domestic run was under 230m, and right now I don't see any reason to believe Solo is going to reach that high.

JL's second week was the Thanksgiving holidays - hence big holds then huge drops

If Solo performs like the last Pirates domestically then it would finish at $232m.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The sequel to a mega blockbuster (about 65-70m+ admissions) always decreases - SM2 had the lowest % decrease (about 8%) among them.

I didn't know that for sequels :ph34r: But either way for some reason I thought the sequel had increased since it was just as well received as the original. 

I won't discuss much critics cause they ain't worth it but the critical reception of both The Last Jedi & Avengers IW is yet another proof on how these people have really no clue or actual interest about pop culture, Sci-fi and fantasy.

They just don't get it, it flies over their heads almost entirely, moreso than Drax I would say.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I won't discuss much critics cause they ain't worth it but the critical reception of both The Last Jedi & Avengers IW is yet another proof on how these people have really no clue about pop culture, Sci-fi and fantasy.

They just don't get it, it flies over their heads almost entirely, moreso than Drax I would say.

In the case of TLJ, I was completely lost for what being rated by critics, the movie was full of flaw only to be covered by top-tier visual effect, score and cinematography. I think the arrogant and pretentious of these critics has fueling the hatred among fans. If the flaw was so huge and noticeable by even casual fans, i doubt critics would miss it.   

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This article is comedy gold! Click bait or not, I'm laughing so hard and want everyone to experience this laughfest. Check this gem:

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Scotty thinks King Arthur was actually good  :lol: only the lead was too white to get the message across to the mass audience. Good times. 

Imagine this is from Forbes, a prominent website for your financial market info, no wonder we have endless financial crisis going on across the world.....

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

All articles are just blaming the release date or “fatigue”. Ignoring one of the main factors. TLJ

To be fair, it is not easy to convince someone that doesn't know shit about bo that a movie which grossed $1.3b harmed the franchise.

There are no data to back it up too.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

To be fair, it is not easy to convince someone that doesn't know shit about bo that a movie which grossed $1.3b harmed the franchise.

There are no data to back it up too.

There's data now.

IH3QToU.png

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Imagine this is from Forbes, a prominent website for your financial market info, no wonder we have endless financial crisis going on across the world.....

:hahaha::bravo:

@oMeriMombatti

#1 movie in the world which bombed in each and every market OS.

This should be a blurb. :Venom:

2 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Pre-sales of Solo are higher than Black Panther. Absolute nonsense.

Solo....$103 million 4 day, Black Panther almost doubled this 3 day. 

Fandango was talking about the FIRST Day.  It's SW of course it was bigger.  That they didn't compare it to Rogue One was a red flag from the start.   Just as when Fandango said JL was selling better than WW instead of BvS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Pre-sales of Solo are higher than Black Panther. Absolute nonsense.

Solo....$103 million 4 day, Black Panther almost doubled this 3 day. 

They were double, but only for the first 24 hours.

Ocean's 8 is not a reboot but a spinoff;the whole idea is that the Sandra Bullock charecter is Danny Ocean's sister.
(I presume that is Danny Ocean/George Clooney and not Danny Ocean/Old Blue Eyes.....

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

To make the ocean 9 and 10 sequel if the first one is a success. Because the current zeitgest is so against something if you call it a reboot but seem to be ok if you 100% reboot something and just put some token link to the previous movies.

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

All articles are just blaming the release date or “fatigue”. Ignoring one of the main factors. TLJ

Memorial Day weekend was the primary tentpole slot for decades. Then, after the epic success of the original Raimi Spiderman and a few other massive OWs outside of the traditional slots (Hannibal, Rush Hour 2) studios realized that a strong movie will open big in just about any time of the year. It is beyond moronic to blame the release date. 

As for "fatigue". People have been forecasting "fatigue" for SH movies for a decade now. Well, where are we now? Two SH movies are the only mega-blockbusters of the year so far, and in record-shattering fashion. Marvel seems able to release 3 movies every single year with 0 problems, and I'm sure that if they went for 4, they could pull it off (provided the films were watchable) 

There's one reason for Solo's travails, and it was directed by some clueless indie guy having Luke throwing away his lightsabre in order to "subvert expectations" or something. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

In the case of TLJ, I was completely lost for what being rated by critics, the movie was full of flaw only to be covered by top-tier visual effect, score and cinematography. I think the arrogant and pretentious of these critics has fueling the hatred among fans. If the flaw was so huge and noticeable by even casual fans, i doubt critics would miss it.   

Many critics are also fans and many grew up on Star Wars.  They just really liked the movie.  Fans didn't mind when those same critics gave high grades to TFA and Rogue One.  They didn't think they were being arrogant or pretentious then - just right.

• Like 1