Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yeah it's Oct 2nd for WW84 no idea how they messed it up on the first tweet

They were probably discussing different dates. I bet the November one got some serious consideration, but they decided to go with the earlier option thinking they can always move it later again.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

That is just plain stupid. 

I don't know. I think it could be a great move to shift to July 10th with Tenet moving to the end of the month (for now). Unhinged is going to be the only new movie in town and unless I'm mistaken theaters in several places weren't going to be open until after July 4th. So the date change won't impact all that many locations, really, and cuts down on the risk of piracy.

If I were not so risk averse, I would definitely be going out to see Unhinged in mid or late July.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I don't know. I think it could be a great move to shift to July 10th with Tenet moving to the end of the month (for now). Unhinged is going to be the only new movie in town and unless I'm mistaken theaters in several places weren't going to be open until after July 4th. So the date change won't impact all that many locations, really, and cuts down on the risk of piracy.

If I were not so risk averse, I would definitely be going out to see Unhinged in mid or late July.

Yeah, Theaters will not want to open up without knowing they will have a steady stream of new content to release. some might do some re-releases a week or two before they are released. but they are not going to make much money off of old movies. 

Aren't Nolan movies usually obligated to get IMAX/PLF for a few weeks? Wonder if this was done so Mulan could at least have one week in the format (gotta imagine the studios/chains are working together in helping each other out more than ever these days) and Wonder Woman moved back so that this could have the format until Labor Day weekend when A Quiet Place opens. Guess we'll know if Disney blinks soon.

46 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aren't Nolan movies usually obligated to get IMAX/PLF for a few weeks? Wonder if this was done so Mulan could at least have one week in the format (gotta imagine the studios/chains are working together in helping each other out more than ever these days) and Wonder Woman moved back so that this could have the format until Labor Day weekend when A Quiet Place opens. Guess we'll know if Disney blinks soon.

I doubt Mulan would have played a factor really, I know it looks to skew a bit older than previous Disney live action remakes, but kids films tend not to do much of their business in IMAX so it’s unlikely that IMAX would have been bending over backwards to accommodate it, and if Disney were that bothered, they wouldn’t have scheduled it for the week after Tenet to begin with.

You’re probably right about WW84 though, normally Nolan films get at least a month in IMAX, so moving WW84 out of August gives Tenet a whole month to itself (if it sticks to that new date of course).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I doubt Mulan would have played a factor really, I know it looks to skew a bit older than previous Disney live action remakes, but kids films tend not to do much of their business in IMAX so it’s unlikely that IMAX would have been bending over backwards to accommodate it, and if Disney were that bothered, they wouldn’t have scheduled it for the week after Tenet to begin with.

To be fair, Mulan moved to the weekend Jungle Cruise was supposed to open before it moved back an entire year (and were probably betting on Tenet moving away from the 17th when they set the date back in early April).

• Like 1

This move smokes of WB trying to hold the July date as much as possible but given the current situation with covid #'s increasing, they don't want to start the final marketing push yet (If i remember right, studios normally do their final marketing push from about the 5 weeks out mark).  so they are playing coy, pushing tenet by 2 weeks (and all the flow on impacts to the release calendar) and see how the current situation plays out.  If goes downhill, then a bigger push is on and probably most of august along with it.  If it holds or improves again then it's possibly a green light to start said marketing for tenet and push towards the July 31 date.

the ball is in disney's court now, do they hold mulan @ 24th and risk it, or .... well who knows... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

What's WB's July obsession when August worked just as well for them with Suicide Squad and Crazy Rich Asians? Is it a Nolan thing post-Interstellar?

It was a Nolan thing before Interstellar.

The Dark Knight - July 18, 2008

Inception - July 16, 2010

The Dark Knight Rises - July 20, 2012

Dunkirk - July 21, 2017

Tenet - July 17, 2020 (planned release date)

Almost always the 3rd weekend in July. The exceptions are his films pre-TDK (presumably because he wasnt the big name director he was after TDK who could have "his date") and Interstellar. 

Edited by JB33

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

What's WB's July obsession when August worked just as well for them with Suicide Squad and Crazy Rich Asians? Is it a Nolan thing post-Interstellar?

Except Interstellar, which was distributed by Paramount. All Nolan films under WB post TDK were july release