Eric is Anxious

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Why is everyone acting surprised. This was something that was expected and should have done. Tracking numbers were bs. Never thought it will go below 190mn.

If people can think that EndGame will do less then IW then people can think that TLK will open less than 180-190 OW.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

No Sleeping Beauty?

Aren't some of those streaming only?

If Smith do not get involved it would be very likely that something like Aladdin prequel would be the equivalent of those many direct to video they were making with those property back in the days yes.

The Sleeping Beauty is covered by the Maleficent franchise but that is to be released before The Mermaid I think.

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Both set in Africa. Father is killed and the son is a reluctant heir to the throne. Family member wants to usurp power and conquer new lands. Etc etc 

I am aware you only list what are seemingly the reasons some here give, so do not take this personally

comparing those two stories and...

= in my POV absolute nonsensical

Its like minimizing the 'flesh' / defining parts of a story down to matchstick men and then think they are the same / similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Why do people look into the can so frequently when we know there's nothing but hot garbage in it? It's maybe the most reliable thing about the box-office... no matter what it is, Deadline isn't going to get it right. 

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Both set in Africa. Father is killed and the son is a reluctant heir to the throne. Family member wants to usurp power and conquer new lands. Etc etc 

but the family member is not the one that killed the father. T'challa was not reluctant to take the throne He assumed it as soon as he got back to Wakanda. Erik assumed the throne by "killing" T'challa in ritual battle not by tricking the kingdom into thinking the king and his son were accidently killed. they are so different. Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet. Black Panther is about a guy, who's father was murdered by his uncle, who grew resentful of a family he never knew and returned to exact his revenge. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Where do they go after The Little Mermaid?

I believe Snow White would be fantastic with A list actors shrunk down to play dwarfs using CGI tech. 

Johnny Depp as Dopey

Robert Downey as Bashful

Etc.....

Guess Disney could get in trouble for not hiring real little people....😎

Pixar's Inside/Out would be cool too....

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

lol in other words  we dont even fucking know

dealine like "well  we are seeing a ow north of 186 ,however at the same time we are seeing an ow of norht of 200, but i mean everything can happen so we will just say 186-who the heck knows"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If Smith do not get involved it would be very likely that something like Aladdin prequel would be the equivalent of those many direct to video they were making with those property back in the days yes.

The Sleeping Beauty is covered by the Maleficent franchise but that is to be released before The Mermaid I think.

Oh right. Why not make an actual Sleeping Beauty movie though?

3 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

If you think The Lion King and BP are similar, I have some interesting news for you about the stories of Joseph and Moses from the Bible, and a couple of Shakespeare's works.  These are all major tropes repeated in many stories over thousands of years. They are just done well here and told in interesting ways, but it isn't like it's a new story. 

This. It’s a monomyth like the hero’s journey. I don’t know if anybody has given it a catchy name, but the “coming/return of the (true) king” story is just as old and just as bound up in every culture.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

but the family member is not the one that killed the father. T'challa was not reluctant to take the throne He assumed it as soon as he got back to Wakanda. Erik assumed the throne by "killing" T'challa in ritual battle. they are so different. Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet. 

Nah TLK isn't really much like Hamlet other than the uncle killing father imo. Similarities are way overblown

81 od would be 3.5x the previews, compared to 3.9x for BATB. Accounting for March vs July and the ever increasing weight of previews it makes sense. 

Would keep TLK on track for 200+ ow

67 (+15%)

54 (-20%)

= 202