Eric S'ennui

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ok I can now confirm that Cats is.....

the stage musical Cats, but a film. 

Not getting the negative hyperbole. It was actually fine lol 

Welp just bought my ticket for tonight! Will report back to see if I agree or not! 

24 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Not saying it happened to you but a growing number of people are reporting practically empty screenings that were showing as 99% sold out when they went to purchase their tickets. Also the RT audience score seems to have been frozen in carbonite.

still the number of practically empty auditoriums is not even a real sample of all auditoriums across the country. I attended quite a few low attended screenings for movies with enormous OW. Like, I get that Disney conspiracy theories have been rampant since CM but competition keeps just as keen eye on movies so any foul play would be uncovered. So far, nothing. It's just negligible number of auditorums that didn't sell that doesn't represent majority. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Little Women and Spies in Disguise very well could add two more 100m films to 2019's ledger. Little Women feels like a perfect holiday hit and the Spies in Disguise marketing is everywhere. Maybe even 1917 gets there.

About "F2 > < TROS WW"

For the F2>TROS i think F2 has to make it's very very best and stretch it to the max at the same time TROS underperforms. 

While the natural patter should put F2<TROS (even by 1$). That's how i see it. 

F2 is at 377M dom and I doubt it can make it to 500M (450M+ could be). Intl is at 667M. Let's say it has 200M+ in the tank, for a ≈900M. All that, being kind of generous, would put F2 on the 1350M, around TLJ ww level. 

TROS can open on 195M. From all 200M+ openers, no one's gone below 620M dom (TLJ). On the other hand, 191M openers such as TLK and AOU went below 540M dom. But those two didn't have Christmas schedule, which this year shows a favorable holidays pattern to play in favor of TROS. So I'd say TROS is more inclined to the 600M+ than the 550M- dom. Let's put it on the 550-600M dom. 

As per Deadline, TROS has opened above TLJ in almost every international major franchise market. TLJ made 712M intl. Let's say a little improvement puts TROS on the 800M intl. That would mean 1350M ww for TROS on the midd-case/almost worst-case scenario. 

For TROS, the floor is TLJ imo. And i think it will get beyond, with some 650/850/1.5B, with a chance at 1.6B, nearing TLK #s.

• Community Manager
28 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Not saying it happened to you but a growing number of people are reporting practically empty screenings that were showing as 99% sold out when they went to purchase their tickets. Also the RT audience score seems to have been frozen in carbonite.

I should hide this post but I'm just going to shut this down: peddling conspiracy theories with no real evidence other than you heard from unknown online people is not a good look. I never said my theater said it looked like it was sold out: I knew going in it only sold a few tickets. I'm not even in the United States currently. I saw the movie in Mexico City and I imagine the dubbed screenings are selling better than the subtitled ones cause of the family/kid aspect of the movies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Welp just bought my ticket for tonight! Will report back to see if I agree or not! 

It’s weird. But I actually think it all looked quite pretty. Some interesting... choices. 

Felt like a trip, lol. I’d give it a 3/5. 

(I imagine if you’d never seen the stage show, it would be a huge WTF stop). 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

As per Deadline, TROS has opened above TLJ in almost every international major franchise market. TLJ made 712M intl. Let's say a little improvement puts TROS on the 800M intl. That would mean 1350M ww for TROS on the midd-case/almost worst-case scenario. 

For TROS, the floor is TLJ imo. And i think it will get beyond, with some 650/850/1.5B, with a chance at 1.6B, nearing TLK #s.

I don't think that this is really the case. Most of the openings in its core markets seem to be of somewhat similar scale if not smaller than for TLJ. Maybe some of that gets countered by some nations getting an earlier release than before (e.g. starting Wednesday instead of Thursday), but other than that there isn't much of a reason to be all that all that optimistic about improving on TLJ. Even matching it sounds rather optimistic at this point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Tell that to the people posting receipts. Very naive of you to believe Disney wouldn’t go to such lengths.

Yes, you’re right. There are multiple services and studios that track this stuff, many of whom would love to knock Disney down a peg by revealing fraudulent activity, but pissed off people on social media have the real info.

I might get temp-banned for saying this but this is a stupid post. You’re an adult. Do better than being Box Office Alex Jones.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

About "F2 > < TROS WW"

For the F2>TROS i think F2 has to make it's very very best and stretch it to the max at the same time TROS underperforms. 

While the natural patter should put F2

F2 is at 377M dom and I doubt it can make it to 500M (450M+ could be). Intl is at 667M. Let's say it has 200M+ in the tank, for a ≈900M. All that, being kind of generous, would put F2 on the 1350M, around TLJ ww level. 

TROS can open on 195M. From all 200M+ openers, no one's gone below 620M dom (TLJ). On the other hand, 191M openers such as TLK and AOU went below 540M dom. But those two didn't have Christmas schedule, which this year shows a favorable holidays pattern to play in favor of TROS. So I'd say TROS is more inclined to the 600M+ than the 550M- dom. Let's put it on the 550-600M dom. 

I don't know where you get you information but:

TROS opened

20% lower in France

20% lower in Germany

2% lower in Japan

5% higher in Mexico

55% lower in China

10% lower in Italy

8% lower in Brazil

15% lower in Russia

11% lower in Australia

16% lower in the UK

It was also lower in India but I don't know by how much.

1.5B is crazy at this moment

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, George Parr said:

I don't think that this is really the case. Most of the openings in its core markets seem to be of somewhat similar scale if not smaller than for TLJ. Maybe some of that gets countered by some nations getting an earlier release than before (e.g. starting Wednesday instead of Thursday), but other than that there isn't much of a reason to be all that all that optimistic about improving on TLJ. Even matching it sounds rather optimistic at this point.

It's not me, it's Deadline

Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker powered up its light sabers in 46 material offshore markets through Thursday, grossing $59.1M at the international box office. That includes China where the force is, unsurprisingly, not strong with this final installment. Elsewhere, Episode IX has seen launches above Star Wars: The Last Jedi in most majors

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-china-global-international-box-office-1202814799/

For example, in Japan, TLJ made 66M, and Corpse is saying 70-80 is achievable for TROS. If it increases a bit from TLJ in Japan, Australia, NZ, Germany, France, UK, and holds in the rest, the 712 from TLJ can easily rise up to 800M intl. Given it's the (theorically) last installment in the saga, i'd say it can increase a bit in every market, or at least stay flat from TLJ. Not's saying 1B intl, but below 750M would surprise me.

Anyway, if it's not 650/850/1500 but 600/750/1350, it would still be in a tight fight for "higher ww" with F2. 

B+ it's over 😂😂😂

TLK opened with 192 and had A getting it to 550 or whatever. TROS is about to open lower and with a Justice League B+ 500 is out of reach. OS is -20% and reception is even worse than NA so 500 will also be difficult. 1b ceiling!