ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

21 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ok, fixed:

DOM: $40M --> $75M

It will beat The Marvels

And before a mod looks at these predictions and accuses me of "trolling" please note that these predictions are in fact serious and I am not trolling

it is a R rated movie though, not PG. So even if it doesn't beat The Marvels - nothing to be really ashamed of.

I haven’t seen Joker 2, but honestly if it sucks im okay with seeing a bomb for the ages. I always champion box office, because I want theaters to stay alive, but an I’ll-conceived bomb can be fun too.

That being said, what I’m scared of is studios (again) taking the wrong message. Rather than “let’s put in the time and effort to make our movies good in the future” I can almost guarantee that the response will be “movies that take creative risks = bad. Everything must be generic from now on.” Or god forbid, “everything should be straight to streaming.”

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Imagine trying to tell people at the beginning of the year that Joker 2 would be The Marvels of 2024. 

People knew there was trouble on the horizon back in April when the first trailer was released and it wasn’t anything like the descriptions provided during the film’s production. In retrospect, those production descriptions more accurately reflected the film than the trailer did.

25 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

No, for a while the top comment on the Deadpool 3 thread was "looks like a nothing sandwich" (this was right after the teaser in Feb came out). 

Only on here. Fans loved it once "Deadpool and Wolverine" was a thing. In the real world it was always obvious Deadpool would be Mario.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I haven’t seen Joker 2, but honestly if it sucks im okay with seeing a bomb for the ages. I always champion box office, because I want theaters to stay alive, but an I’ll-conceived bomb can be fun too.

That being said, what I’m scared of is studios (again) taking the wrong message. Rather than “let’s put in the time and effort to make our movies good in the future” I can almost guarantee that the response will be “movies that take creative risks = bad. Everything must be generic from now on.” Or god forbid, “everything should be straight to streaming.”

I think on this last point, your fears are probably unfounded. Studios seem to have realized that they can't justify their blockbuster projects going straight to streaming (unless you're Netflix which is a different story) and we've seen a number of films this year originally meant for streaming doing very well in theaters (Beetlejuice, Alien Romulus, etc.). 

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think the main problem with this movie outside of execution was the lack of commitment to a single market.

Is it for edgy Joker fans or fans of musicals and Lady Gaga?

It was always going to be a high wire act. I'm not surprised the fumbled this one.

The movie is for normal people, just like the first one. Edgy 4 chan dwellers and theater kids aren't a big enough demo

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There's a lot of evidence they DIDN'T put in the time and effort to actually make the movie good. More like they made it a weird neither fish nor fowl thing by claiming it was "a musical" but then making large chunks of the film a boring courtroom drama. Nobody actually watches/reads Batman stuff for Gotham courtrooms! We already knew they were corrupt!

57 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

No, for a while the top comment on the Deadpool 3 thread was "looks like a nothing sandwich" (this was right after the teaser in Feb came out). 

The interest was there but most were hell bent on downplaying it here lol. In other words it performed like everyone expected Joker 2 would perform and more!

Just now, Mad Max007 said:

The interest was there but most were hell bent on downplaying it here lol. In other words it performed like everyone expected Joker 2 would perform and more!

Pretty sure it was mainly people here obsessed with the "MCU is doomed" narrative rather than actually talking about the film's real world interest. Like there were people here claiming "all Phase 4/5 were doomed" even after Shang Chi and Guardians 3. 

With Joker 2 it was mostly apparent the film was boned (like Megalopolis) after its Cannes reception was poor.

In contentious times for America, in a divisive election year where we have never been further apart, I give Warner Bros. major credit for releasing this movie in the name of unity and togetherness. Finally, something that people of all tastes and backgrounds seems to agree that they hate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

‘Joker: Folie à Deux’ Makes $7M In Thursday Night Previews, Receives 1/2 Star From PostTrak Audiences – Box Office

Forget about the fact that Joker 2‘s previews are off -47% from the first 2019 film’s $13.3M previews, which mushroomed to a $39.3M Friday and the biggest October opening of all-time with $96.2M. We knew that was going to happen.

What’s not funny is the Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak audience exits for Joker 2 which tell a different story…

While many knew this Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga combo would be challenged in the fact that it was a musical, the fanboys full out rejected the sequel last night on PostTrak with a 1/2 star and 40% positive. Holy guacamole, Batman. Did the Megalopolis cynics show up last night? Because that’s the same Thursday night grade (actually 45% positive) that the Francis Ford Coppola directed $120M dystopian epic received a week ago before inching up to one star on PostTrak. Or, wait, did PostTrak switch up the reports?: Lionsgate’s Helen Mirren movie White Bird received five stars last night! That feature take of R.J. Palacio’s novel, which is a sequel and prequel to Wonder, is only expected to make $2M this weekend on 1,018 theaters after a $275K Thursday night. Reviews for the movie stand at 72% on Rotten Tomatoes.

A very low 24% say they’ll definitely recommend Joker 2 to their friends. God knows what this means for Joker 2‘s stability throughout the weekend. RT audience score for Joker 2 is also in the gutter at 37% with critical reviews plummeting from 62% fresh to 39% Rotten.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Astonished 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

In contentious times for America, in a divisive election year where we have never been further apart, I give Warner Bros. major credit for releasing this movie in the name of unity and togetherness. Finally, something that people of all tastes and backgrounds seems to agree that they hate.

(there's already somebody in another thread essentially claiming anybody who doesn't like Joker 2 is a Funko critic but whatever)

Been a while since I've been so fascinated by what a CinemaScore grade will be for a movie. Honestly, this is starting to feel like it'll end up an even bigger embarrassment than The Marvels given all the awards its predecessor received.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yup. I thought this was a big swing. And what sucks isn't that they went hard and it failed. It sounds like they didn't fully commit to the idea, or at least, never really had a strong idea on what to do with the concept.

Honestly, if the feedback was better, I'd see it, but it really seems uninteresting. I'm taking the kids to see Wild Robot tonight, and I think Saturday Night is probably next on my radar to see.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Its the sequel to a movie which cynically sucked the fantasy out of a children’s fantasy series and packaged it up for adults. Adding a dash of imagination to something which had little to begin with is not a risk. The house built on sand will always crumble.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1