CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

4 hours ago, SpiritComix said:

Well... after seeing in the past two years people using poor excuses and motivations (some clearly rooting against the movie) to justify the future "deception" that would be the box office of Avengers: Infinity War, it's really great to see how the movie is killing all those arguments:

"Infinity War will not make more money than Civil War or Age of Ultron, bc there's no novelty"

hsl2vSp.gif

"Civil War is an obvious Avengers movies, the brand "Avengers" is irrelevant for the BO"

wF5Npgd.gif

"People are tired of big crossover superhero movies. It's not an event"

MBtXye0.gif

"Trailer views means nothing"

2fyrcOD.gif

"There's no hype, lol"

1RwARgx.gif

:hahaha:

This deserves more likes but I'm out of likes. Marvel is coming for those wigs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, now that AIW did so awesome, the question is does it do to the summer box office what Black Panther did to the late winter/early spring one?

Does it take the air out of the room and all the money or will we see movies manage to thrive in the competitive market?  May should be interesting (I figure once May is over, A:IW should have most of its pressure on the market let up)...

18 minutes ago, Tree said:

Does anybody know why they recast Thanos? I thought the original actor in the previous film was much better.

See the source image

Because unfortunately it wouldn't leave Marvel, Brolin in the dough

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

gets to 590/603/618.5/662 dom using CA3/IM3/AOU/THOR3 multiplier of 2.29x/2.34x/2.40x/2.57x

Nothing in the performance so far leads me to believe those are the best templates for it's future run

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
Buena Vista

$106,334,939

-- / $23,767
$106,334,939 / 1
$82,131,612

-22.8% / $18,358
$188,466,551 / 2
$69,231,632

-15.7% / $15,474
$257,698,183 / 3

Ohhhhhh man. I had forgotten just how many amazing articles Keith wrote.

'Jurassic World' Indomitable, Rex Box Office

and then he used it again

'Jurassic' Rex Records

Thursday-saurus Rex

Flix Crix Nix Pix-els?

'Minions' Cool Millions

Box Office Do-'Minion'

Inside 'Out' Performs

• Like 1

BP’s ranking in the all-time lists for a given weekend or release:
OW 5th (when released)
2nd weekend: 2nd place
3rd: 3rd place
4th: 3rd place
5th: 4th place
6th: 4th place
7th: 7th place
8th: 10th place (First weekend below Jumanji)
9th: 26th place
10th: 25th place
11th: 20th place again (first weekend back above Jumanji) 

Just for kicks, a 20th place 12th weekend would be 3.95-4.06.   

Hey, BOM only goes up to week 12. Anyone know where I might be able to find rankings for weekends 13 and beyond?

Edited by Thanos Legion

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

So, now that AIW did so awesome, the question is does it do to the summer box office what Black Panther did to the late winter/early spring one?

Does it take the air out of the room and all the money or will we see movies manage to thrive in the competitive market?  May should be interesting (I figure once May is over, A:IW should have most of its pressure on the market let up)...

Thing is, this years spring line-up sucked. Apart from A Quiet Place and RPO, no movie from March to April looked good honestly and unlike last year, films like Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim 2 or WiT werent really that anticipated. Summer is completely different, Deadpool, Incredibles and Co all have their own hype surrounding it.

It also helps that the trailers for the other summer blockbusters play in front of IW and its massive audience. I think this movie will only help the box office landscape.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Nothing in the performance so far leads me to believe those are the best templates for it's future run

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
Buena Vista

$106,334,939

-- / $23,767
$106,334,939 / 1
$82,131,612

-22.8% / $18,358
$188,466,551 / 2
$69,231,632

-15.7% / $15,474
$257,698,183 / 3

I’m using the template of TA1 + 20% for the first 20 days. After that I don’t know what to use since DP2 and Solo will be coming. 

• Like 1

Just now, NoLegMan said:

I see a lot of hype still, not much negative being said, we don't have many youtube  videos saying "Why IW is bad" 

Let me get on that right away.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I feel like the spring movies did about what they would've done either way. A lot of them just sucked.

• Like 2

So this weekend both BP and AWIT registered their biggest Saturday to Sunday percentage drops of their runs so far despite both having their best weekend holds to date. Yeah, nothing fishy about those numbers at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozymandias said:

if it follows TA1

monday - 22.8m

tuesday - 21.3m

Wednesday - 16.4m

Thursday - 14.9m

Friday - 35.1m

Saturday - 51.5m

Sunday - 37.8m

124.4m 2nd weekend

Seems reasonable - and so far it's had a better Saturday jump and Sunday drop than Avengers - with bigger numbers (even adjusted)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

So this weekend both BP and AWIT registered their biggest Saturday to Sunday percentage drops of their runs so far despite both having their best weekend holds to date. Yeah, nothing fishy about those numbers at all.

It's very simple. There were less sessions of these films dropped on Sunday versus Saturday, and with avengers sold out many people still wanted to see a film and went to them. Plus people who would have gone on Friday and Saturday went on Sunday instead when their sessions weren't cancelled. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

BP’s ranking in the all-time lists for a given weekend or release:
OW 5th (when released)
2nd weekend: 2nd place
3rd: 3rd place
4th: 3rd place
5th: 4th place
6th: 4th place
7th: 7th place
8th: 10th place (First weekend below Jumanji)
9th: 26th place
10th: 25th place
11th: 25th place again (first weekend back above Jumanji) 

Just for kicks, a 25th place 12th weekend would be 3.57-3.76, roughly a 23% drop. I think we can do it, or maybe even improve its standing again.   

Hey, BOM only goes up to week 12. Anyone know where I might be able to find rankings for weekends 13 and beyond?

11th: 20th place