MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

21 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

To be clear, I'm not saying that Chinese audiences SHOULD go for these. I mean it's hysterical that Hollywood desperately wants their money and therefore spends all of this money on Asian-centric material, only for it to backfire completely. 

On the other hand, half of this is more so due to arbitrary censorship BS. 

I think it's all more complicated than that.  It's very easy and cynical to say "Hollywood/Disney/Marvel just want Chinese dollars and made this movie to appeal to China."  I would like to think Feige is smarter, broader thinker than that.  There is a huge Asian-American community and diaspora worldwide whose children will be inspired with a movie like this, whether it's "critically acclaimed" or not.  And also on a Gender level.  I saw an international interview/promo with some local Hong Kongers, and when asked to identify all the Avengers in a poster, a couple of the men easily identified the male characters and barely mentioned Black Widow.  A little girl mentioned Black Widow first.  (But even the local interviewer wasn't pronouncing "Shang-Chi" right, and they made jokes about it within the video!)  🤣

20 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

There is a certain irony in China rejecting a superhero film that was made in large part to appeal to that market. And before anyone jumps at me, I’m not saying that’s the sole reason this movie was made, but considering Disney’s track record of trying to appease China, it’s not difficult to imagine that this movie may have been prioritized partly for that reason. 

Again, I'm not sure I would quite agree that the film was made "in a large part" to appeal to the China market.  But I'm sure that Disney *hoped* it would, yes...  

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Demon Slayer - Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Movie: Mugen Train - 197

Some Elrich guy ruining the perfect 199 because he didn't try to watch series before the movie and gave a rotten review. Like why the hell even review/grade it then if you are ignorant.

"Some Ehrlich guy" is David Ehrlich, a film critic that has been writing for years for very legitimate and established publications, and seems like a reasonably well-educated fellow. 😉  It is his job to do a bit of research on the topic, yes, but not his job to "have seen all of a preceding anime series" to understand a feature film.  That should be no-one's job.  A film (ideally) shouldn't require that.  And educating yourself about the market and who's actually reviewing films also helps.  

http://www.davidehrlichfilm.com/

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I think it's all more complicated than that.  It's very easy and cynical to say "Hollywood/Disney/Marvel just want Chinese dollars and made this movie to appeal to China."  I would like to think Feige is smarter, broader thinker than that.  There is a huge Asian-American community and diaspora worldwide whose children will be inspired with a movie like this, whether it's "critically acclaimed" or not.  And also on a Gender level.  I saw an international interview/promo with some local Hong Kongers, and when asked to identify all the Avengers in a poster, a couple of the men easily identified the male characters and barely mentioned Black Widow.  A little girl mentioned Black Widow first.  (But even the local interviewer wasn't pronouncing "Shang-Chi" right, and they made jokes about it within the video!)  🤣

Again, I'm not sure I would quite agree that the film was made "in a large part" to appeal to the China market.  But I'm sure that Disney *hoped* it would, yes...  

"Some Ehrlich guy" is David Ehrlich, a film critic that has been writing for years for very legitimate and established publications, and seems like a reasonably well-educated fellow. 😉  It is his job to do a bit of research on the topic, yes, but not his job to "have seen all of a preceding anime series" to understand a feature film.  That should be no-one's job.  A film (ideally) shouldn't require that.  And educating yourself about the market and who's actually reviewing films also helps.  

http://www.davidehrlichfilm.com/

I agree with what you're saying. My sentiment is directed more so at the larger picture of Hollywood, specifically Disney, clearly making an effort to break into China in a big way over the last eight years or so. Feige and co. likely would've wanted to make Shang Chi regardless, and you could argue it's a simple coincidence that Mulan, Raya, and Shang Chi fell in the span of months of one another, but the Disney brass are definitely aiming for it. And given the relative failure of that effort so far, it's quite funny. 

• Like 2

It’s great fun. Good action, hilarious and beautiful visuals.

I actually thought the CGI was pretty good in the 3rd act (especially with the dragons). The only thing you really notice sometimes is a green screen background. 

The only real issue I think is exposition. There is a lot of it especially with Leung and Yeoh. It sort of took away from their characters but there such good actors they make it work.

Simu Liu isn’t a great actor but he does have charisma. I think he will improve as he works more but he struggled to sell the emotional aspects of the film here. The surprise character, his sister, father and Awkwafina steal the movie from him.

• Thanks 1

I thought this was quite good until the third act. The family drama and everything with Tony Leung was great. I was rooting for him half the time, he's too cool. The bus scene looked awful from the trailers but was actually the highlight for me, great action set piece. Simu Liu was likeable and the story while familiar was executed well. Awkwafina was hit or miss but the other comedic relief was great. The third act does go more fantastical and "crazy" which I liked but the movie is so ugly to look at that it kills that fantasy vibe. Final battle takes place on an overcast cloudy day, so much gray. Outside of the underground fight ring and the wuxia flashback with Leung, the whole film looked cheap and flat. 

7/10 

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 3

It's a pretty good MCU film! Solid plot, arcs, pace, endearing/likeable characters, excited for their future, great hand-to-hand combat choreography and coverage, actual fantasy elements and really funny throughout.

It's lacking on the villain side, CGI/green screen/big set-pieces are average/uninspired, homogenous colour grade, serviceable music and sound design. Couldn't tell you if it was directed by one particular person but it gets the job done better than some of it's peers. 

I had fun.

7.5/10 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

Noticeably big difference between Tony Leung and Simu Liu.   

There's also an overload of characters just dumping exposition on me.  

The Hand to Hand fight scenes were absolutely stellar and dynamic. Just Wish They had a color grading that made it feel more thrilling.

I think we have seen the last  hybrid release for a MCU film for a long time.

I always thought this was the most problematic Marvel film so far since it was pretty obscure to contemporary audinces charecter. (let's face it, he was an attempt to cash in on the Kung Fu/Asian Martial Arts craze of the 70's and got little exposure in the Marvel Univers after his book was cancelled in 1981) but the sucess of this flm proves that the Marvel Studio label has box office value. It's really unusual for a studio to get brand value like that.

• Like 2