Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

i don't know jack shit about sound design but even i know the sound in tenet is TERRIBLE. you couldn't hear anything!

the theme park screens (IMAX etc) the effects channels are massively turned up. Second time I saw it in a regular theater and it sounded much better.  I heard every word crystal clear.  The mix is tremendous. But yeah, the theme park seats definitely have the whomping aspects dialled up to 11.  Whilst it might cause some lines to be difficult to hear, that immersive rattling it gives you physically is by design. Definite trade off though. 
If you want to hear it crystal clear, go to a smaller show. 

I’d recommend seeing the massive rock n roll version first. Then going smaller for the second viewing to pick up on the things you may have missed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Once they know Dune still has part 2 to go, they will just give technical award to Dune

If it has LOTR run (major nominations, last movie wins for the whole thing), I'll be very happy. That said, first part of the book (means up to where the movie cuts off) is stronger than the last but movie has liberty to fix that. I'm very excited and rooting for this.

Saw it for a second time at a Digital IMAX. Could hear every word of Tenet crystal clear, I saw Interstellar at the same IMAX one time and definitely had the issue where you couldn't hear Michael Caine in that one scene.

Am I trippin'? The sound definitely wasn't neutered, bass was aplenty and it was loud as hell but dialogue was clear. Unless they updated the audio mix I don't think I had the same issue everyone else seems to have had. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Saw it for a second time at a Digital IMAX. Could hear every word of Tenet crystal clear, I saw Interstellar at the same IMAX one time and definitely had the issue where you couldn't hear Michael Caine in that one scene.

Am I trippin'? The sound definitely wasn't neutered, bass was aplenty and it was loud as hell but dialogue was clear. Unless they updated the audio mix I don't think I had the same issue everyone else seems to have had. 

It seems to vary by cinema, which makes me think that the issue is more with certain cinema set ups and their sound settings struggling to cope with the mix. I didn’t really have an issue at my screening, I could hear just about every word.

I’ve mentioned before about how I’ve seen shockingly bad sound set ups in chain cinemas. The cinema I used to work in had 3 amps powering one of their VIP screens (So basically stereo sound with a sub), when ideally you’d have 5 or 6 for full surround sound. One of their regular screens didn’t even have a sub for nearly a year due to head office deeming it not worthy of dispatching an engineer until more problems arose, and it sounded shocking, so imagine a bass heavy film like Tenet playing through that!

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tenet has been released here in Canada (at least in Quebec, not sure in the others provinces)

this past week-end.  To my surprise, we were around 15 in the cinema.

Maybe the sunny day explains it, maybe there was more people

on Saturday (it was raining).

So this morning I was eager to know the grosses...

Then I saw New Mutants at number 1... WTF?!?

No Tenet in the top 10!

According to cinoche.com, WB asked to the medias

to not release the gross of the movie...

Anobody knows why?

23 minutes ago, sgrave said:

Tenet has been released here in Canada (at least in Quebec, not sure in the others provinces)

this past week-end.  To my surprise, we were around 15 in the cinema.

Maybe the sunny day explains it, maybe there was more people

on Saturday (it was raining).

So this morning I was eager to know the grosses...

Then I saw New Mutants at number 1... WTF?!?

No Tenet in the top 10!

According to cinoche.com, WB asked to the medias

to not release the gross of the movie...

Anobody knows why?

I believe they’re not releasing the Canada numbers until next weekend as they plan to roll them into the North America opening weekend numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw it with a friend.

Sad to say that Tenet is the first Nolan movie that i didnt really like. I found none of the characters compelling, the dialogue was seemingly written by a machine and the editing ... my god the editing was so fast and relentless, it was just too much at certain points for me. I cant say its a bad movie, the concept ist very interesting, the performances are mostly good (Pattinson was terrific, so was Branagh) and the action is - like always with Nolan - technically brilliant.

But i was honestly bored at the end and just tired :( Pacing just wasnt for me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, tree said:

Can anyone tell me how much of Tenet is in IMAX full screen?

Really don't want to go to the cinema currently, but after watching Dark Knight Rises in IMAX a couple weeks ago, it may be hard to resist...

Approximately 50%, around the range of 70 minutes

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tree said:

Can anyone tell me how much of Tenet is in IMAX full screen?

Really don't want to go to the cinema currently, but after watching Dark Knight Rises in IMAX a couple weeks ago, it may be hard to resist...

The percentage felt like a lot more than any Nolan film outside of Dunkirk (Which was because that film featured little dialogue), they built some new stuff for the IMAX cameras, including a new motor which is a bit quieter and new lenses so you can get closer. I was amazed at how many dialogue/indoor scenes were shot using 70MM IMAX. 

Like @MrPink said I think 50% at the very least. It's definitely the highest percentage outside of Dunkirk. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2