Eric Onion

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Define 'doubter'. Do you think it's going to make as much money as it would have in normal times? What's the benchmark of this summer release being worth it?

Who knows on "worth it"...big success in this environment is probably matching its budget WW theatrically...and then matching it again on PVOD...

But, if I were the studio, I'd take $50M DOM total and $150M WW total and consider that a "win" - kinda like Disney takes its every day losses in Disney World as wins, b/c they lose less money per day by opening than being closed.

At some point, the Tenet budget has to be paid for, so this could be the "less loss" way to do it...

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think everyone would want Tenet to succeed but people here are just being realistic about the current situation.

I 100% want Tenet to succeed. However, with CA and NY closed, I know there is a limit to what this can actually do. I also think WBs release strategy will cause it get lost in the shuffle, as in people (not us) will forget about it when it eventually opens near them or just not care because with the way the world is going right now.

But, what do I know, maybe it will make $10M every weekend all the way through Christmas and become a big hit that way. A very leggy run is its best hope honestly.

Anyway, I think we can all agree this is the greatest BO gamble of all time. If Tenet were to somehow blow past expectations, it would go down in BO history.

Edited by CloneWars

A quick Google search of the film is showing a good amount of audience reviews . It's showing me 30 right now, I'm not going to click for fear of spoilers to see how many seem legitimate but it looks like the special screenings actually happened. First glance says it looks like a big winner quality wise. Hell even if it isn't "top tier" Nolan it may end up getting points just for the novelty of being the first thing people have seen on the big screen since March.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

A quick Google search of the film is showing a good amount of audience reviews . It's showing me 30 right now, I'm not going to click for fear of spoilers to see how many seem legitimate but it looks like the special screenings actually happened. First glance says it looks like a big winner quality wise. Hell even if it isn't "top tier" Nolan it may end up getting points just for the novelty of being the first thing people have seen on the big screen since March.

all of them are troll reviews

I’d be surprised if this didn’t get good reviews. Dunkirk was the best reviewed film of that year on Metacritic. More interested in how many months later it’ll open domestically from foreign release

3 hours ago, TMP said:

I’d be surprised if this didn’t get good reviews. Dunkirk was the best reviewed film of that year on Metacritic. More interested in how many months later it’ll open domestically from foreign release

I am wondering how critics are going to see this film given the unlikely premiere ceremony.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

I am wondering how critics are going to see this film given the unlikely premiere ceremony.

Through press screenings? Not every movie has red carpet premieres. And even when a movie has premiere events, not every critic can travel to Hollywood (or London for the Europeans) to attend them.

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Movie critics better recognize this as the cinema-saver it is and praise the shit out of it regardless. I expect Marvel-esque hyperbole. 

Cinema saver or people killer? This is a dangerous game Nolan is playing. He should think of the people who are in danger of catching the virus.

Of course, critics should judge the movie on its own merits, i'm sure it will be good. Nolan never disappoints, but a cinema saver it ain't.

4 hours ago, TMP said:

I have been blind on Tenet's marketing but is Tenet going to be similar to Dunkirk? that would be disappointing. what i like the most about Nolan's movies is his use of exposition and how he takes advantage of it to build character ,emotion and spectacle. Once he abandoned all that we got an extremely cold, shallow, emotionless and character-less movie in Dunkirk.

if Tenet is actually more like Dunkirk I might re-consider if i want to watch it in theaters.

53 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I have been blind on Tenet's marketing but is Tenet going to be similar to Dunkirk? that would be disappointing. what i like the most about Nolan's movies is his use of exposition and how he takes advantage of it to build character ,emotion and spectacle. Once he abandoned all that we got an extremely cold, shallow, emotionless and character-less movie in Dunkirk.

It's amazing how two people can watch the same film and have completely opposite takeaways.

(The sea did look cold though, I'll give you that.)

• Like 1