Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Solo was played on 5 screens at my theatre

IW was put on 2 small screens.

Solo never played over 50% sold on any screens on any show the entire weekend :blink: and most went 10-20% full. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Why Ocean's 8? They couldn't find 11 decent actresses that would go along with each other on the same set?

To make the ocean 9 and 10 sequel if the first one is a success. Because the current zeitgest is so against something if you call it a reboot but seem to be ok if you 100% reboot something and just put some token link to the previous movies.

3 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

No, the big problem is that it bombed but was still the 2nd biggest opening O/S after the UK which barely opened higher.  They could have afforded to bomb in China if their traditional European & Australian markets had held well and they'd still done middling business in Latin America and the rest of Asia-Japan.  Just doing just half the business that TLJ did O/S  would have saved it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, #ED said:

Do we still make those annoying What Went Wrong threads or have we killed them with fire?

Haven't seen one in ages but it feels appropriate....

I'm not saying I'm happy to see Solo go so low (ha), but I do think this weekend was vindication for some of us who really got shit on the weekend of TLJ.  The polarization from that film was a VERY real thing that had very real effects with the GA.  The GA doesn't care about troubled production and director changes but they DO care about a previous film that leaves a very sour tase in their mouths.  Some of us saw this in our social circles almost instantaneously and this weekend confirmed it if there was any doubt left.

The brand isn't untouchable because NO brand is untouchable.  Disney/Marvel/Lucas is going to get it right way more often that not but Solo should serve as a very real warning shot to the studio that the next saga or stand alone has a real uphill battle.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I believe it will get to 300.  It will see what looks to be an ugly drop this coming weekend because that's what films do on the weekend after MD.  But it will recover in the coming weeks and have enough to get to 300.  And if it does, it will represent about a 20% drop from the first.  And it looks like (according to imdb) it still has HK and Japan to open in so it could still push for 700.  I know it has a very slim shot of getting there, but it should clear 650.  So that would be a 15% drop from the first one.  Those would be fantastic numbers. 

Yes. 650 is almost locked. It will beat Jesus again worldwide. 700 is probably gone though. JW is opening in 10 days all over the world except American continents (well, except China too, but that is irrelevant as far as DP2 is concerned), so DP2 hasn't got much time.

And I fail to see how this couldn't be called a disappointment, like some people are portraying it to be. It will do similar businesses as Justice League. 3 years ago, this would have been unthinkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #ED said:

Do we still make those annoying What Went Wrong threads or have we killed them with fire?

This entire thread is a WWW thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Fake said:

Yes. 650 is almost locked. It will beat Jesus again worldwide. 700 is probably gone though. JW is opening in 10 days all over the world except American continents (well, except China too, but that is irrelevant as far as DP2 is concerned), so DP2 hasn't got much time.

And I fail to see how this couldn't be called a disappointment, like some people are portraying it to be. It will do similar businesses as Justice League. 3 years ago, this would have been unthinkable.

And that's why this place is better with you here than when you are gone.  We need honest non-reactionary comments.  Thanks for being that guy.  Not that you are the only one here who does that, but you are one of the posters whose opinion and analysis I respect.

The issue with dP2 is that DP blew up and did so much more than anyone thought it would.  If you will recall, when Deadpool was first announced, people thought an R rated third rate super hero movie starring Ryan Reynolds would perhaps do Green Lantern numbers.  We were all wrong of course, so very wrong.  And now with it declining, so many of us here (myself included when making predictions in the summer game) forgot that a lot of sequels decline, especially when they hit a number like the first DP did.  So this decline isn't surprising and the fact that it will come close to 700 is fantastic.

We all just need to temper out expectations from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Wallstreet already going after Kennedy, there will be fallout

With Solo and the deceiving result of some park attendance news it finally did show it seem, -2% today.

4 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Scott Mendelson finally figured it out! It’s not the holiday or hot weather or TLJ backlash. Thread’s over folks.

5_CB9_C88_B_5_DA8_46_C9_834_A_DC00_E1_DF

This is even more disappointing than solo's underperforming and DP2 2nd's weekend hold combined, a notable journalist failed to acknowledge how awful was TLJ to a significant portion of SW fans by just trying to blame that white-men is why the box office failed. Isn't it the lead of MCU, ironman, cap america and thor are white man? Isn't it deadpool a white men? Isn't it dunkirk was full of white-men? Don't tell me american sniper made 350m due to its non-white men lead! 

Stop trying to make movie industry become a battle of sexes in real live.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

Haven't seen one in ages but it feels appropriate....

The what went wrong post mortems pretty much moved to the thread devoted to the movie in question.....