SLAM!

Survivor: Pandora || a Box Office Survivor Experience || Predict Box Office Grosses and Vote Out Tribemates to be the Last One Standing || CLOSED

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

LOL. I'm not filling out a form asking me what my pronouns are. Especially since one of the options is "they/them".

Why don't you ask me what my adjectives are instead? I only accept intelligent and handsome, thank you very much...

I will clarify why it asks for pronouns.

Box Office Survivor features brief skits featuring characterized versions of the players. Due to this, there may be times where I may have to include pronouns such as "he" or "she" in the dialogue and descriptions of the skits. Therefore, asking for pronouns is less about the players filling out the applications and more about the skits that I'm going to write. I need to be able to accommodate players and treat each character with respect, and I'm unsure if I can do that without at least offering "they/them" as an option.

The fact of the matter is, people who prefer certain sets of pronouns exist in the world. I'm not going to exclude certain subsects of players by not offering the choice, and I'm not going to be disrespectful by not offering any questions on gender, then going into the skits and getting players' information wrong. I'm going to offer that option in an effort to be like Jesus and love my neighbor as myself, because if someone wants to use certain pronouns, that's not something that's up to me or something I can change.

Now I thought the pronoun question would have been accepted as a glorified "what's your gender" question, but I guess not. 🤷‍♂️

I do in fact have an adjective question at the bottom of the form where you can put "intelligent" and "handsome" if you want to. You also have the option of skipping the pronoun question by writing "skip" in the "Other" box; the "Other" box is there so that no one is forced to click one of the options. Of course, if the presence of the question is the problem, then I suppose you don't have to apply, and you don't have to play Survivor Pandora... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

The fact of the matter is, people who prefer certain sets of pronouns exist in the world. I'm not going to exclude certain subsects of players by not offering the choice, and I'm not going to be disrespectful by not offering any questions on gender, then going into the skits and getting players' information wrong. I'm going to offer that option in an effort to be like Jesus and love my neighbor as myself, because if someone wants to use certain pronouns, that's not something that's up to me or something I can change.

Now I thought the pronoun question would have been accepted as a glorified "what's your gender" question, but I guess not. 🤷‍♂️

I do in fact have an adjective question at the bottom of the form where you can put "intelligent" and "handsome" if you want to. You also have the option of skipping the pronoun question by writing "skip" in the "Other" box; the "Other" box is there so that no one is forced to click one of the options. Of course, if the presence of the question is the problem, then I suppose you don't have to apply, and you don't have to play Survivor Pandora... 🤷‍♂️

Of course the presence of the question is the problem. No such thing as "preferred pronouns" exists, just like "preferred adjectives" or "preferred prepositions" don't exist. Pronouns, just like any other part of grammar, exist to describe the objective reality. Pronouns are not a matter of preference. No singular person can or should be described with plural pronouns, unless his sex is unknown. But the very point of the question is to specify one's pronouns, i.e. they become known and so plural pronouns don't apply.

P.S. I don't know why you had to bring up Jesus in this discussion. I don't think religion is necessary or relevant to this discussion. But since you did bring it up, I'd like to point out that the Bible only mentions two sexes, male and female. No more, no less.

• Knock It Off 1

Moderation

@Quigley Like Slam said, you can ignore the pronoun question. But please don't disparage or insult Slam, people who use that function and especially people who prefer using "they/them" pronouns to identify themselves. It's insanely cruel and disrespectful. Do this again, and you will see warning points coming your way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quigley said:

Of course the presence of the question is the problem. No such thing as "preferred pronouns" exists, just like "preferred adjectives" or "preferred prepositions" don't exist. Pronouns, just like any other part of grammar, exist to describe the objective reality. Pronouns are not a matter of preference. No singular person can or should be described with plural pronouns, unless his sex is unknown. But the very point of the question is to specify one's pronouns, i.e. they become known and so plural pronouns don't apply.

P.S. I don't know why you had to bring up Jesus in this discussion. I don't think religion is necessary or relevant to this discussion. But since you did bring it up, I'd like to point out that the Bible only mentions two sexes, male and female. No more, no less.

Well, the point of the inclusion is that there’s people we’ll come across in our lives who prefer certain pronouns. We can get into nitty gritty technicalities if we want, but those people exist.

The Bible also mentions how Pharisees were the ones who liked excluding people, while Jesus included everyone in his salvation promise when dying on the cross. So I was trying to include rather than exclude. I know exactly how many genders are mentioned in the Bible; and I also know that when Jesus died, he died for everyone, so that anyone can be saved. Therefore, I’m making it so that anyone could come as they are and play my Survivor game regardless of politics, religion, etc.

Edited by SLAM!

Just now, Eric-occhio said:

Moderation

@Quigley Like Slam said, you can ignore the pronoun question. But please don't disparage or insult Slam, people who use that function and especially people who prefer using "they/them" pronouns to identify themselves. It's insanely cruel and disrespectful. Do this again, and you will see warning points coming your way.

I have not disparaged or insulted anyone. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please point to the specific things I said against any specific person.

Describing how grammar works is not cruel or disrespectful.

Describing the contents of the Bible is not cruel or disrespectful.

If you continue to slander me without any evidence, you should probably give warning points to yourself.

16 hours ago, SLAM! said:

@The Eric King gave me 2 warning points for an alleged "Trolling / Troll Attack" simply for having an opinion on grammatical rules.

Eric said I was "using your "no preferred pronouns" and "pronouns cannot change" as a scapegoat to say bigoted stuff towards non-binary people and folks who do not identify under the strict gender binary".

Firstly, I never said "pronouns cannot change". This is a false accusation. You can read my posts in this thread and see for yourself. I made no mention of non-binary people, as you can see in this thread, but this junior admin imagined that I said bigoted stuff, simply because I expressed my opinion on the rules of grammar.

Is it because Eric is junior and therefore inexperienced? Is it because Eric is biased and trying to impose his personal politics on the forum?

These are merely questions. Please don't accuse me of attacking anyone.

In any case, I have messaged the senior admins @Shawn @Cap @Water Bottle. I have asked them to remove these warning points, which were wrongly given to me by Eric. I think someone more senior needs to put Eric in his place. Humility is a virtue everyone needs to cultivate.

P.S. Eric also claimed I was being "cruel and disrespectful". I think it's pretty disrespectful when you don't respect someone else's opinion on how grammar works.

Edited by Quigley

15 hours ago, Quigley said:

Quick question: is “Quigley” the name listed on your birth certificate, or a descriptor you’ve self-selected? Wouldn’t you be a little miffed if we all just decided to start referring to you as Karen instead, despite that publicly displayed preference of address?

It takes very little effort to accept people as they choose to be, even if it’s a choice you wouldn’t have personally made, rather than furiously pounding the keyboard asserting a mythical “correct” standard that doesn’t reflect the

hundreds of shades of grey of reality 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Quick question: is “Quigley” the name listed on your birth certificate, or a descriptor you’ve self-selected? Wouldn’t you be a little miffed if we all just decided to start referring to you as Karen instead, despite that publicly displayed preference of address?

It takes very little effort to accept people as they choose to be, even if it’s a choice you wouldn’t have personally made, rather than furiously pounding the keyboard asserting a mythical “correct” standard that doesn’t reflect the

hundreds of shades of grey of reality 

I'm not going to compare online pseudonyms to pronouns or to non-binary people. That is ridiculous.

The issue here is that @The Eric King has fabricated false accusations against me and has abused his power as admin to punish me for discussing grammar rules. He should remove the warning points that he gave me and apologise. If not, then his seniors need to put him in line. There should be a process to appeal against an administrator if we think that the administrator has abused his power.

Edited by Quigley

12 minutes ago, Quigley said:

I'm not going to compare online pseudonyms to pronouns or to non-binary people. That is ridiculous.

Yes, I do find it quite "ridiculous" that user account Quigley is railing against proper forms of address, arguing about it with a picture of pre-teen Gru (full disclosure: I do not actually resemble that picture). And fwiw, using they/them pronouns online doesn't necessarily imply non-binary, as someone just may prefer to avoid assumptions & stereotypes that fall under the she/he umbrellas

We all choose how to present ourselves in various social circumstances: I'm [Formal Address Lastname] in some professional situations (even though I hate it), [Nickname] in casual gatherings, M37 here, and only my mother calls me by my actual name. Even if said question bothered you, saying nothing was free, but you chose to highlight and mock it, then hide being "proper grammar usage" to deflect what is clearly an underlying hostility. Don't play games, just own it, and let people respond accordingly ... like me about to go click that Ignore button (so no need to reply)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yes, I do find it quite "ridiculous" that user account Quigley is railing against proper forms of address, arguing about it with a picture of pre-teen Gru (full disclosure: I do not actually resemble that picture). And fwiw, using they/them pronouns online doesn't necessarily imply non-binary, as someone just may prefer to avoid assumptions & stereotypes that fall under the she/he umbrellas

We all choose how to present ourselves in various social circumstances: I'm [Formal Address Lastname] in some professional situations (even though I hate it), [Nickname] in casual gatherings, M37 here, and only my mother calls me by my actual name. Even if said question bothered you, saying nothing was free, but you chose to highlight and mock it, then hide being "proper grammar usage" to deflect what is clearly an underlying hostility. Don't play games, just own it, and let people respond accordingly ... like me about to go click that Ignore button (so no need to reply)

@The Eric King

This person is comparing non-binary people to online pseudonyms. As per your worldview, this is an egregious display of transphobia: he is caricaturing non-binary people as if their behaviour is similar to making up a pseudonym for an online forum. I expect you to give him warning points. If you don't, I will report you again to your seniors.