Tower

BOT's top 100 Black And White films.

Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should lists with fewer than 50 films award half points?

Grim started a thread on this a while ago but never went through with it, so I figured I would do it myself.

Rules: You must PM me a ranked list of between 10 and 100 films by 23rd of July. The films must be entirely in black and white, hybrids with even a bit of colour like Schindler's List are ineligible. Films must be feature length films (minimum 40 minutes).

Scoring (if people have a better idea I'm willing to listen):

Spoiler

1st - 50

2nd - 42

3rd - 36

4th - 32

5th - 28

6-7th - 25

8-9th - 22

10-12th - 20

13-15th - 18

16-20th - 16

21-25th - 14

26-30th - 12

31-35th - 10

36-40th - 9

41-45th - 8

46-50th - 7

51-55th -6

56-60th - 5

61-70th - 4 

71-80th -3

81-90th - 2

91-100th - 1

Points are halved for lists with less than 50 films, then halved again if less than 25 films. Tie breaking will be done by being on more lists, followed by having a better average position.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 5

Tagging a list I got from elsewhere so people know about this and I can gauge interest: 

@WrathOfHan @Jason @DAR @Brainbug @matrixdmath5 @Daxtreme @4815162342 @Jake Gittes @Pandamia! @filmlover @Morieris  @Slambros @Rorschach @Blankments @CoolioD1 @aabattery @MrPink @grim22 @Ethan Hunt @Porthos @Spagheditary @DeeCee @Wrath @Jandrew @Cmasterclay @Kalo @AndyLL @Jayhawk @Jay Hollywood @franfar @Water Bottle @Chewy @#ED @Empire @Fancyarcher  @kayumanggi @Sam @The Futurist @Noctis @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @ddddeeee @K1stpierre @Ozymandias @a2k @The Stingray @Lordmandeep @MovieMan89 @Claire of Themyscira @tribefan695 @DAJK @Gopher @ElastiRoc @chasmmi @JJ-8 @Spidey Freak @YourMother the Edgelord @Arlborn @Nova @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @cookie @grey ghost @lilmac @Jack Nevada @James @RandomCat @ChipMunky @elcaballero @MCKillswitch123 @angeldelmito @CaptainJackSparrow @Captain Craig  @cannastop @75Live @Goffe @Tower @Napoleon @rukaio101 @Michael Gary Scott @POTUS @darkelf @ChD @ShouldIBeHere @SchumacherFTW @Eevin @Alpha @Mattrek @AJG @Webslinger @Kalderic @boomboom234 @vc2002 @Valonqar @Mulder @Blaze Heatnix @Shawn @sfran43 @Biggestgeekever @Thanos Legion @MrGlass2 @cax16 @Darth Lehnsherr @TLK @ACSlater @trifle @Exxdee @misafeco @Barnack @Ithil @StevenG @Finnick @Rebeccas @FantasticBeasts @CoolEric258 @Sheikh @Boxofficerules @KeepItU25071906 @LonePirate @titanic2187 @Olive @ZeeSoh @Jim Shorts @Mekanos @raulbalarezo @The Fast and the Furiosa @m3racer123 @That One Guy @SchumacherFTW 

@Telemachos@reddevil19 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So this means the list ends entirely in the 1960s? Hmm

Mostly yes, but Roma or Nebraska or Frenkenweenie from the last few years are OK.

FYC

Aw, yeah.  My endless hours of TCM's about to play off.  For those who are like I haven't seen enough B&W films to make a list, might I suggest a couple of my ultimate favorites?  (Please know there are too many to post in one post, so this is kind of just the first popping in my mind.)

The Philadelphia Story 😍

SUNSET BLVD!!!!

Some Like It Hot

It's A Wonderful Life

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

All About Eve

Any Fred and Ginger Movie, I Don't Have a Fave, so Have Night & Day from Gay Divorcee

Notorious

And Double Feature it WIth Rebecca

• Like 4

Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve are both great, so here are some other great films to consider:

12 Angry Men:

12 Angry Men Poster

Obvious one but I have to make sure nobody forgets, it's just too good to be left out.

Double Indemnity:

Double Indemnity Poster

The best of the film-noir crime genre.

The Apartment:

The Apartment Poster

I don't usually like romcoms, but this one rises above its genre.

The Grapes Of Wrath:

The Grapes of Wrath Poster

Such a well made drama with such great acting, especially for its time.

• Like 5

All great choices. I love Sunset Blvd. Also will throw these out:

Citizen Kane

This gets too much contrarian hate nowadays - though it might just be a Reddit thing - but I still consider it one of the greatest movies of all time, and one of the best feature film directorial debuts ever. The cinematography, the editing, the near-invisible visual effects and Orson Welles’ lead performance are all amazing.

King Kong

Obviously for the absolutely groundbreaking effects, not the acting or the writing. But this movie still looks amazing to me, and it’s also incredibly tight in terms of pacing - something I’m reminded of every time a new Kong movie is made.

Duck Soup

Possibly the funniest of all the Marx Brothers movies. It’s the only one to go full-on comedy and eschew the romantic leads for once. So many hilarious scenes in this: Chico and Harpo harassing Edgar Kennedy, Groucho and Harpo’s legendary mirror scene, and nearly every quip Groucho makes. Also, I wonder if Stanley Kubrick was at least partially inspired by the political satire elements when he was coming up with Dr. Strangelove. Especially because it was originally filmed to similarly descend into absurdity with the infamous deleted pie fight ending.

Young Frankenstein

IMO, tied with Blazing Saddles as Mel Brooks’ best. It’s such a pitch-perfect spoof of the 30s/40s Universal horror classics. Like Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker with Airplane!, Brooks made sure that all the zany humor was couched within a faithful reproduction of the kind of film that was being lampooned, consulting older cinematographers and technicians about how to film and light for B&W and make it look like those old movies, making sure the sets felt the same, getting original props, and so on. The only aspects of the film treated as a joke were the actual jokes. And what jokes they were.

I may have been first introduced to Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, but I think he’s even funnier in this, both when he’s deadpanning and when he’s dialing the intensity up to 12. Marty Feldman is a riot, Teri Garr is both hilarious and smoking hot - what knockers indeed - and Madeline Kahn is at her Madeline Kahn-est, Peter Boyle kills it as the monster, Kenneth Mars is great as the constable, and Gene Hackman absolutely disappears into his role as the blind man. My father saw this when it came out, and made sure I saw it at probably too young an age, and we both quote all the great lines to this day.

Are films that were shot in black and white but meant to be seen with color tinting disqualified? Because that would exclude some silent movies I might otherwise nominate.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

Are films that were shot in black and white but meant to be seen with color tinting disqualified? Because that would exclude some silent movies I might otherwise nominate.

I don't know which films you refer to, but if they released in colour I think that would be disqualifying regardless of how they got there.

12 hours ago, Tower said:

I don't know which films you refer to, but if they released in colour I think that would be disqualifying regardless of how they got there.

I’m thinking of films like the original Nosferatu:

In the silent era, everything was shot black and white but sometimes they were intended to be color tinted (for various moods, to simulate night because night shooting was virtually impossible at the time, and so on).

You can see copies of Nosferatu or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or other such films in pure B&W, often the poorer-quality unrestored public domain versions, but major restorations these days usually include the tints.

(Also, some movies included hand-coloring of things like fire or explosions, and these are often also included/recreated in restorations - but again, it is possible to find copies of these films without them.)

Edited by TServo2049

12 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

I’m thinking of films like the original Nosferatu:

In the silent era, everything was shot black and white but sometimes they were intended to be color tinted (for various moods, to simulate night because night shooting was virtually impossible at the time, and so on).

You can see copies of Nosferatu or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or other such films in pure B&W, often the poorer-quality unrestored public domain versions, but major restorations these days usually include the tints.

(Also, some movies included hand-coloring of things like fire or explosions, and these are often also included/recreated in restorations - but again, it is possible to find copies of these films without them.)

Yeah, you can have those.

21 hours ago, MrGamer said:

Didn’t get tagged on this one. :whosad:

Sorry. I just copied that list from somewhere else, I don't really know who else should be tagged.