chasmmi

BOT's Top Foreign Films of All Time Poll Deadline July 12th, for realsies this time, that is the final deadline

Just gonna post a first reminder here about sending lists. 

There is still plenty of time (kind of), but such is tradition...

@#ED @4815162342 @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @CoolioD1 @DAJK @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher @grim22 @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @JB33 @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @Lordmandeep @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @Thanos Legion @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @TMP @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Jake Gittes

As always the list is not extensive and has been copy pasted from a copy paste from a copy paste, so who is truly to blame for any exclusions is quite the mystery at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some FYCs, I watched them recently:

Amélie - It's quite well known, but in case you haven't already seen it, do it! It's heartwarming, gorgeously filmed with beautiful music. It makes you feel good like no other movie.

Amelie

El método (The Method) - A very interesting Spanish film with 7 people competing for the same job. They recieve different tasks, the first one is to find the company's mole among themselves. Highly recommended!

1.jpg

Incendies - It's one of Villeneuve's lesser known films, but trust me: it's definitely one of his best. It's eligible, because it's in French and Arabic. Filled with quite some big emotional moments, brilliant movie!

cover-VIzICyk6QJyLPOTqGvjnSc3t1WDDTMAM.j

Le prénom (What's in a Name) - Another French film, one of the best comedies I've ever seen. A soon-to-be father causes a scandal when he announces the name of his future son.

L-affiche-du-film-Le-prenom_portrait_w67

Any recommendations for the remaining few days?

I'd like to watch some of these:

Die Welle (The Wave)

La Sconosciuta (The Unknown Woman)

Das Experiment (The Experiment)

Klass (The Class)

Dzien swira (Day of the Wacko)

De gronne slagtere (The Green Butchers)

Mientras duermes (Sleep Tight)

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 8:01 PM, chasmmi said:

Foreign Language films made by the Hollywood system are NOT eligible (e.g. No Passion of the Christ)

Why not though? Passion would definitely make my list as well as Apocalypto.

1. Spirited Away(2001) - japanese

2. Amarcord (1973) - Italian

3.  Cinema Paradiso (1988) - italian

4. Grave of Fireflies(1988)  - japanese

5. A Separation (2011) -persian

6.Amour (2012) - french

7. City of God (2003) - Brazilian portuguese

8. Three Colour : Red (1994) - french

9. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Spanish

10. Fanny & Alexander (1983) -swedish

11.Waltz with Bashir (2008) - hebrew

12 .Farewell My Concubine (1994) - chinese

13. Your Name (2016) -japanese

14. The Handmaiden (2016) -korean

15. Parasite (2019) -korean

16. 3 Idiots(2009) - hindi

17. The Lives of Others (2006) -German

18. Ida (2014) - polish

19. Wild Tale (2014) -spanish

20. Days for Night (1973) -French

21. La Cage aux Folles (1979) - french
22. Das Boot (1982) - german

23. Police Story (1985) - cantonese

24. My Life as a Dog (1987) - swedish

25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) - french

26. Three Colour : Blue (1993) - french

27.. The Wedding Banquet (1994) - -chinese
28. Princess Mononoke(1997) - japanese

29. La vita e Bella (1998) - italian

30. Central Station (1998) - brazilian Portuguese

31. All  about my Mother (1999) - spanish

32. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)  - Chinese

33. Lagaan (2001) - Hindi

34. Piano Teacher (2002) - french  

35. Talk to Her (2002) - Spanish

36. Internal Affairs (2002) - Cantonese

37. The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) - Spanish

38. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007) -french
39Persepolis (2007) -french

40. 5 Centimeters per Second (2007) -Japanese

41. The White Ribbon (2009) - german

42. Mother (2009) -korean

43. Enthiran (2010) - hindi

44. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2011) - thai

45. A Simple Life (2011) - cantonese

46. The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2014) - japanese44.

47. Roma (2018) -spanish, mixtech

48.Shoplifters (2018) - japanese

49. Capernaum (2018) - arabic

50. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) - french 

This is my list. For the 1st 20, I really put them in order. The rest of 30, I would just rank them by year, I am kind of indifferent to how exactly they ranked. They are equally great. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, misafeco said:

Some FYCs, I watched them recently:

Amélie - It's quite well known, but in case you haven't already seen it, do it! It's heartwarming, gorgeously filmed with beautiful music. It makes you feel good like no other movie.

Amelie

El método (The Method) - A very interesting Spanish film with 7 people competing for the same job. They recieve different tasks, the first one is to find the company's mole among themselves. Highly recommended!

1.jpg

Incendies - It's one of Villeneuve's lesser known films, but trust me: it's definitely one of his best. It's eligible, because it's in French and Arabic. Filled with quite some big emotional moments, brilliant movie!

cover-VIzICyk6QJyLPOTqGvjnSc3t1WDDTMAM.j

Le prénom (What's in a Name) - Another French film, one of the best comedies I've ever seen. A soon-to-be father causes a scandal when he announces the name of his future son.

L-affiche-du-film-Le-prenom_portrait_w67

Any recommendations for the remaining few days?

I'd like to watch some of these:

Die Welle (The Wave)

La Sconosciuta (The Unknown Woman)

Das Experiment (The Experiment)

Klass (The Class)

Dzien swira (Day of the Wacko)

De gronne slagtere (The Green Butchers)

Mientras duermes (Sleep Tight)

Interesting, thanks for the recommendations! Also, have you seen "Le dîner de con"? (The dinner game) 1998

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:05 AM, misafeco said:

Why not though? Passion would definitely make my list as well as Apocalypto.

It is just easier this way as it otherwise leads to a potential slippery slope of having to make a ruling on every Hollywood/American film where somebody speaks foreign and before you know it A Good Day to Die Hard finishes 12th and we have to dissolve the whole forum.

• Like 1

Also I don't want a whole thread on foreign film to just be about scoring systems. That is why I took it off the opening post and am not commenting on it. 

I am sorry if that irritates some people, but this is about recommend and watching great foreign cinema, and also, I don't like arguments especially online so tend to just disappear and let them disappear. 

42 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Also I don't want a whole thread on foreign film to just be about scoring systems. That is why I took it off the opening post and am not commenting on it. 

I am sorry if that irritates some people, but this is about recommend and watching great foreign cinema, and also, I don't like arguments especially online so tend to just disappear and let them disappear. 

Recommending and talking about great foreign cinema is perfectly possible while other things are going on in the thread. And if you're gonna solicit these kinds of lists from a forum community, it seems like basic courtesy to 1) provide people with the information on how their lists are gonna be scored and especially 2) actually engage with perfectly valid criticisms of the initial scoring system you had. Deleting it and refusing to talk about it makes you look pretty childish, and certainly makes me want to participate in this whole thing less, especially if you still intend to score this like the summer game.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1