Inceptionzq

Top 100 Sci-Fi movies. No Superhero movies are allowed. Deadline is February 29th

Star Wars and Superhero movies allowed?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should Star Wars and Superhero movies be allowed in the Sci-Fi countdown?

• Yes: Star Wars
    • No: Star Wars
    • Yes: Superhero
    • No: Superhero

This poll is closed to new votes

In this boring and mundane life, we want to explore what we can't actually ever explore(and maybe find out that we don't actually want that but it's cool to see). We want to go to space, see dinosaurs, time travel, meet aliens. But that is very likely never going to happen in our lifetimes. Science Fiction is that avenue for many people, and is why it is arguably one of the most popular movie genres of all time. From 2001: A Space Odyssey to Alien to Jurassic Park, there are a huge amount of wildly popular movies from this genre. Oftentimes, Sci-Fi is where technological bounds are pushed and expanded, resulting in stunning visuals and staggering sound effects. It is the place where we can become immersed in some of the most imaginative works to ever be created.

giphy.gif

The submission period will be from now to February 28th, PM me or just post it here. I plan to reveal the top 100 from March 6 - March 8. I'd like the lists to be at least 20 movies long, but I'll accept any length up to 100. The longer, the better. And if you'd like, you are welcome to include a short writeup/review on any of your top 10 movies. PM your reviews if you do any.

Scoring will be the same as the 70s countdown one:

1: 10 points

2-3: 9 points

4-5: 8 points

6-10: 7 points

11-15: 6 points

16-25: 5 points

26-35: 4 points

36-50: 3 points

51-75: 2 points

76-100: 1 point

Star Wars movies will be allowed. No Superhero movies.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Whats the rule on CBM movies?

I guess part of the game is trying to define what fit the genre.

I like the definition of: Exploration of an imagined consequence of a technological or societal change (possible or the metaphor of one possible) on how humans would react.

Making something like EndGame a possible Sci-fi (not necessarily for the science than the exploration of what if 50% of the population would again die suddenly like during the worst plague of the past in today world, one that think they are shielded from what past population were used to happen).

While the first Guardian of the Galaxy feel more like a star wars, fantasy-adventure

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Whats the rule on CBM movies?

Perhaps for all intents and purposes, we exclude most of them(the superhero ones). And to that extent, exclude Star Wars too. Let’s try to shine the spotlight on movies that are more of a true Sci-Fi

• Like 3

On 1/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, Inceptionzq said:

In this boring and mundane life, we want to explore what we can't actually ever explore(and maybe find out that we don't actually want that but it's cool to see). We want to go to space, see dinosaurs, time travel, meet aliens. But that is very likely never going to happen in our lifetimes. Science Fiction is that avenue for many people, and is why it is arguably one of the most popular movie genres of all time. From 2001: A Space Odyssey to Alien to Jurassic Park, there are a huge amount of wildly popular movies from this genre. Oftentimes, Sci-Fi is where technological bounds are pushed and expanded, resulting in stunning visuals and staggering sound effects. It is the place where we can become immersed in some of the most imaginative works to ever be created.

giphy.gif

The submission period will be from now to February 28th, PM me or just post it here. I plan to reveal the top 100 from March 6 - March 8. I'd like the lists to be at least 20 movies long, but I'll accept any length up to 100. The longer, the better. And if you'd like, you are welcome to include a short writeup/review on any of your top 10 movies. PM your reviews if you do any.

Scoring will be the same as the 70s countdown one:

1: 10 points

2-3: 9 points

4-5: 8 points

6-10: 7 points

11-15: 6 points

16-25: 5 points

26-35: 4 points

36-50: 3 points

51-75: 2 points

76-100: 1 point

I'll get started !! Probably should emphasize these rules.

Perhaps for all intents and purposes, we exclude most of them(the superhero ones). And to that extent, exclude Star Wars too. Let’s try to shine the spotlight on movies that are more of a true Sci-Fi

Edited by nghtvsn
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:33 AM, Inceptionzq said:

1) Are you excluding other franchises like Star Trek, Jurassic Park/World, Aliens, Terminator, etc too? IF no, then what criteria are you using to disqualify something like Star Wars?

2) You said exclude most of the SH ones, but how is one to know which one is included and which one is excluded? I can understand excluding Joker as it has no sci fi element and perhaps including say Spiderman Far From Home/Iron Man/Batman movies as it has a lot of sci fi element but some others like say Aquaman/Wonder Women/Doctor Strange are more ambiguous since they involve almost all supernatural things with hardly any scifi element. 

3) Are animated sci fi movies like Wall-E eligible?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

1) Are you excluding other franchises like Star Trek, Jurassic Park/World, Aliens, Terminator, etc too? IF no, then what criteria are you using to disqualify something like Star Wars?

2) You said exclude most of the SH ones, but how is one to know which one is included and which one is excluded? I can understand excluding Joker as it has no sci fi element and perhaps including say Spiderman Far From Home/Iron Man/Batman movies as it has a lot of sci fi element but some others like say Aquaman/Wonder Women/Doctor Strange are more ambiguous since they involve almost all supernatural things with hardly any scifi element. 

3) Are animated sci fi movies like Wall-E eligible?

1) No. Those are movies I would consider to be Sci-Fi first and foremost. Although Star Wars and many superhero movies could be considered Sci-Fi, I don’t think that’s what they mainly represent.

2) I was talking about comic book movies. I was thinking about Alita when I answered that since there are CBMs that aren’t SH movies. So the “most of them” was in reference to CBMs, not SH movies.

3) Yes

There’s still over 2 weeks so I guess I could do a poll about whether or not to include SW and SH movies. I really don’t mind one way or another, so I’ll let the people vote. And if we vote to allow it, then we can tackle the issue of which SH movies are excluded and which aren’t.

Also, can this get pinned to the main page?

Should Star Wars and Superhero movies be allowed in the Sci-Fi countdown?

Like for yes. Thanks for no. Disbelief for SW only.

Spoiler

@#ED @4815162342 @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blankments @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @cannastop @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @captainwondyful @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @Eric Plus @CoolioD1 @DAJK @DAR @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Ethan Hunt @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @filmlover @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher @grim22 @HeadShot @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @Jake Gittes @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @JB33 @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @La Binoche @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @lorddemaxus @Lordmandeep @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGamer @MrGlass2 @MrPink @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Plain Old Tele @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @SchumacherFTW @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @Thanos Legion @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @The Futurist @The Panda @The Stingray @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @TMP @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @Valonqar @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 9
  • Disbelief 5

10 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Like for yes. Thanks for no.

Well... superhero movies: NO. Different genre, all of them should be excluded even if they have sci-fi elements

But Star Wars, obviously yes. It is the ultimate science-fiction movie franchise (space opera).

My 2cents (and I don't really do rankings anyway), if SW is excluded to include lesser known SF movies instead that's fine too.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well... superhero movies: NO. Different genre, all of them should be excluded even if they have sci-fi elements

But Star Wars, obviously yes. It is the ultimate science-fiction movie franchise (space opera).

My 2cents (and I don't really do rankings anyway), if SW is excluded to include lesser known SF movies instead that's fine too.

That doesn't really make sense to me. I mean something like Guardians, Captain Marvel, etc. clearly qualifies as sci-fi even if its about a superhero. I agree that lesser-known movies would get a fair shot, but it doesn't really make sense to disqualify movies that clearly fall under the genre.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I’ll add that option to the poll

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

1) No. Those are movies I would consider to be Sci-Fi first and foremost. Although Star Wars and many superhero movies could be considered Sci-Fi, I don’t think that’s what they mainly represent.

2) I was talking about comic book movies. I was thinking about Alita when I answered that since there are CBMs that aren’t SH movies. So the “most of them” was in reference to CBMs, not SH movies.

3) Yes

There’s still over 2 weeks so I guess I could do a poll about whether or not to include SW and SH movies. I really don’t mind one way or another, so I’ll let the people vote. And if we vote to allow it, then we can tackle the issue of which SH movies are excluded and which aren’t.

Also, can this get pinned to the main page?

You can edit your first post and include a poll on the question. Or I can do it if you want. 

As for shifting it to the main page, I'll consult with the other mods and then do it. 

15 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Like for yes. Thanks for no. Disbelief for SW only.

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I feel like this is a super complicated question that will allow for nitpicking.  Cause is Star Wars science fiction or is is a space opera?  Is Thor: Ragnarok a science-fiction or fantasy.  You could make cases for either.  I vote to let them all in.  If they don't make the list than we have our answer.

• Like 2

If something like Star Trek (2009) would be allowed, then I don't see why SW or superhero movies should be banned. I sympathize with the goal of banning those movies, but perhaps the list title should be edited to reflect more specific criteria than just "sci-fi", which is a very broad umbrella.

Edit: I guess if we go by the dictionary definition ("fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets") it actually makes some degree of sense to exclude SW and SH movies, depending on how you define "based on". So I'm changing my vote. Although I do think that definition is a bit narrow and excludes several things that people would typically think of as sci fi.

Edited by Menor