Kalo

The Top 100 LGBT+ films of all time countdown! scoring complete! GET READY!!!

The Matrix  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Matrix be eligible?

• Yes
    • No

On 7/4/2023 at 2:14 AM, LegionWrex said:

Even beyond Lana and Lilly basically coming out saying that it is, it really doesn't get more blatant then the "blue pill, red pill" scene which is literally Neo choosing HTR (estrogen pills were red at the time). The idea of feeling outside of your body, your entire being feeling wrong, that just something isn't right. The idea that everybody is against you as soon as you even make an attempt outside of the norm and question yourself. Trinity being entirely androgynous in her appearance (particularly during the nightclub scene). The Matrix is ultimately really interesting as a queer text cause it's status AS a queer text is both somehow retroactive yet fully obvious once realized. It's impossible to view it as anything but a trans narrative within the context of both it's directors as well as the era it came out (which is that it being anything other then subtext means it wouldn't have even gotten made).

That being said, it IS absolutely subtext, and The Matrix has also been very validly read as a metaphor for capitalistic societies (something the directors have also acknowledge), and if you feel like limiting the list to more blatantly queer films that don't rely on subtext, I'll gladly remove it as well as Resurrections. That being said, I stand by them being queer films.

I didn't know all of that. I do agree with you it does have alot of trans subtexts. but I just don't think it is enough to fit the criteria of this countdown, if I allowed films with only queer subtexts, then I feel like it makes it way too broad, and would have to accept films like, Frozen, Little Mermaid, ect... 

On 6/30/2023 at 6:14 PM, The Panda said:

FYC

MV5BMmU2MDkyZWMtYjJmNi00YjE1LWIzODctZjNj

The_SpongeBob_SquarePants_Movie_poster.j

170px-The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show.jpg

1200px-The_Passion_of_Joan_of_Arc_(1928)

MV5BMTQ5NTg5ODk4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODc4

MV5BMzYxNDI5OTcwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODc4

My full list:

1.      Everything, Everywhere All at Once (2022)

2.      The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

3.      The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

4.      Cabaret (1972)

5.      The Matrix (1999)

6.      The Handmaiden (2016)

7.      Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

8.      The Power of the Dog (2021)

9.      Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

10.   Disobedience (2017)

11.   Rebecca (1940)

12.   Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

13.   Tar (2022)

14.   You Won’t Be Alone (2021)

15.   Mulholland Drive (2021)

16.   Jennifer’s Body (2009)

17.   Moonlight (2016)

18.   Climax (2018)

19.   But I’m a Cheerleader (1999)

20.   Some Like it Hot (1959)

21.   The Favourite (2018)

22.   Philadelphia (1993)

23.   Call Me By Your Name (2017)

24.   Brokeback Mountain (2005)

25.   Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

26.   Cloud Atlas (2012)

27.   Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)

28.   The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie (2004)

29.   Luca (2021)

30.   Tangerine (2015)

31.   Tick, tick… Boom! (2021)

32.   Fear Street: 1666 (2021)

33.   The Color Purple (1985)

34.   Midnight Cowboy (1969)

35.   Carrie (1976)

36.   Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

37.   The Green Knight (2021)

38.   Carol (2015)

39.   Booksmart (2019)

40.   Pray Away (2021)

41.   The Matrix Resurrections (2022)

42.   Precious (2009)

43.   Clue (1985)

44.   Rocketman (2019)

45.   The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

46.   Milk (2008)

47.   Love, Simon (2018)

48.   Fame (1980)

49.   Fear Street: 1994 (2021)

50.   Boy Erased (2018)

Yeah no Spongebob lol. Luca I am a bit more torn on. I am leaning towards yes. but it's borderline. 

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I didn't know all of that. I do agree with you it does have alot of trans subtexts. but I just don't think it is enough to fit the criteria of this countdown, if I allowed films with only queer subtexts, then I feel like it makes it way too broad, and would have to accept films like, Frozen, Little Mermaid, ect... 

Yeah no Spongebob lol. Luca I am a bit more torn on. I am leaning towards yes. but it's borderline. 

SpongeBob is canonically queer and is the lead character. Patrick wears a bra in the movie. Count what you want it but it’s staying my list

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

End of evangelion?  

Possibly? Evangelion is interesting cause it resonates a lot with queer audiences myself but it's only really when Kaworu shows up that the queer stuff is really explicit (partly the reason I put 3.0 over End of Eva).

22 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

Possibly? Evangelion is interesting cause it resonates a lot with queer audiences myself but it's only really when Kaworu shows up that the queer stuff is really explicit (partly the reason I put 3.0 over End of Eva).

But the explictly gay stuff kind of happens in episode 23, no? I wouldn't count EoE myself. It's not necessarily a movie about the queer experience specifically. 

Just now, Whydidyoudoit said:

But the explictly gay stuff kind of happens in episode 23, no? I wouldn't count EoE myself. It's not necessarily a movie about the queer experience specifically. 

Episode 24, and yeah I wouldn't count it either. 3.0 is more queer then End of Eva.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:20 AM, WorkingonaName said:

End of evangelion?  

I have no Idea, i haven't seen it. if it has a MAIN character that is LGBT and it has a least part of the focus of the film then yes if not no. 

Edited by Kalo

6 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I have no Idea, i haven't seen it. if it has a MAIN character that is LGBT and it has a least part of the focus of the film then yes if not no. 

Yeah this is why I'm hesitant to include it myself. Shinij's status as LGBTQ+ is... interesting to say the least. In the manga version of Eva (which is written by one of the major creative forces of the original show) he's canonically bisexual and that's part of some of the drama surrounding his relationship with Kaworu cause he's deeply in denial about it. The anime version in both continuities it's a little bit more ambiguous, though there is a clear attraction between the two that's obvious.

Kaworu on the other hand is explicitly gay and his relationship with Shinji is critical to the heart of both his appearance in the show as well 3.0 (which is an incredible film btw). He's not in End of Eva very much though due to plot stuff and because of that, along with some of the other discussion we've had about whether or not to include subtextual stuff and the eventual decision we came to makes me hesitant to include it personally.

TL;DR I would be far more comfortable including 3.0 then End of Eva if you wanted an Eva film on there.

Still rewatching a punch of films but I thought to recommend one of them already. In my top 5 for sure.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

A classic, cultural phenomenon, and brought Drag to the mainstream while RuPaul was still struggling in bars (or was that 80s...don't remember. He's so old that fire wasn't invented when he was born). Anyhew, a must to have in every gays [insert rest of the letters here] library of queer education.

PS. Don't let the outdated trailer fool you. The film is solid. I don't remember when I saw it for the first time but it stuck to my head. Probably my dad switched the channel and I didn't dare to ask to put it back. The few rare windows to the universe at the time showing that there are other gays in the world as well, and that it's okay, even normal.

Edited by von Kenni
  • Like 3

About 10 days to go. Probably going to extent the deadline by a week or so. Foreign LGBT content is so much better than most stuff stateside so if you're going to catch up I would say start there. Marco Berger is a great film maker and Latin America has some of the best LGBT content.  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kalo said:

About 10 days to go. Probably going to extent the deadline by a week or so. Foreign LGPT content is so much better than most stuff stateside so if you're going to catch up I would say start there. Marco Berger is a great film maker and Latin America has some of the best LGPT content.  

Thumbs up for the extention. I agree with the foreign LGBT content. My top 10 doesn't seem to have so many US titles.

• Like 1

Deadline looking to extend to Saturday August 12th. 

If any of You'll are wanting to submit a list

skywalker

@21C@35MM-18@3jp@4815162342@75Live@8wombi7@A Star is Orm@abra@abracadabra1998@AdrianL@Alex SciChannel@Alexdube@Amadeus@Anduin@AndyK@AndyLL@AnotherDayAnotherDollar@A Marvel Fanboy@A Star is Orm@a2k@aabattery@Agafin@AJG@ando@AN9815@Arlborn@ACSlater@andersonhoran@AnDr3s@Andreas@AniNate@Aristis@Ash Skywalker@Asyulus@Avatree@BadOlCatSylvester@Barnack@ban1o@belblazer@BestPicturePlutoNash@Blipsy@Blaze Heatnix@bleachella@BoxOfficeFangrl@Box Office Hit@Boxofficerules@BoxOfficeZ@baumer@BeastByTheBay@Biggestgeekever@Bigscrubnus@Brandon Gray@Borf the Borf@Bordlove@Borobudur@Bruce@BruiseCruise@B J@bcf26@BourneFan #1@Black Hawk@Black Panther@Blackout@Brainbug@Caboose@Carlangonz@cannastop@CaptNathanBrittles@catlover@Caesar@Caylu@cdsacken@Cedarpoint1111@cedec0@CJohn@Chaz@Cheddar Please@ChipDerby@cheesypoofs@Claudio@Coldbird@Coneilg93@Claire of Themyscira@Cmasterclay@cmbbox2390@Cap@Captain Craig@Cappoedameron@CrashBandicoot81@cruelintentionsisgoated@Cruel Summer@cookie@CoolioD1@CoolK@cax16@ChD@Catty@Chewy@cdsacken@DAJK@Dandeak2000@Danhjpn@DAR@darkelf@Darth Lehnsherr@Daxtreme@datpepper@Dbui8743@DC Rich@ddddeeee@DeeCee@Deep Wang@Deja23@DlAMONDZ@Doffy@Dominic Draper@Dragoncaine@druv10@Djsoke@DlAMONDZ@DMan7@DoctorWho@Dragon@dudalb@Durden@#ED@EarlyDeadlinePredictions@ecstasy@Eevin@efialtes76@El Gato@el sid@El Squibbonator@Elessar@elcaballero@ElsaRoc@Empire@Eric the Lion@Essem@Ethan Edwards@Ethan Hunt@european1992@excel1@exomassey@expensiveho@Ezen Baklattan@fabiopazzo2@Factcheck@Fancyarcher@FantasticBeasts@filmlover@filmnerdjamie@FilmFincher@Finnick@Firepower@Fielding@Flamengo81@fmpro@franfar@Fullbuster@Galactic Specter@Gamora@Gavin Feng@George Parr@Grebacio@Giesi@Goffe@Godzilla@Gokai Red@Goldenhour36@Gopher@GOXOG@Grebacio@grey ghost@grim22@Hades@harrisonisdead@Hatebox@Heretic@HeyMast@HesAPooka@Hilpkioy@HouseOfTheSun@Horner@hw64@IcarusReborn@IceFire9yt@IdahoJacket@iHeartJames@imbruglia@In XXR We Trust@Inceptionzq@Infernus@infamous5445@interiorgatordecorator@Ipickthiswhiterose@IronJimbo@Issac Newton@Ithil@Jack Nevada@Jake Gittes@Jake Lockley@James@Jamiem@Jandrew@Jason@Jay Beezy@Jayhawk the Hutt@jedijake@Jeight@jb007@JB33@Jiffy@Jim Shorts@JJ-8@jking123@Joel M@John Marston@john2000@John2015@johnfalkon@Johnny Tran@JonahVex@John Rambo@Julian1410@Juby@JustLurking@JWR@K1stpierre@Kalo@katnisscinnaplex@kayumanggi@kitik@KJsooner@Krissykins@Keanu@Knights of Ren@KP1025@krla@Kvikk Lunsj@lab276@Last Man Standing@Ledmonkey96@LegendaryBen@Legion By Night@LeoC@Lestranger@Liiviig 1998@lilmac@Lion Roar@ListenHunnyUrOver@LinksterAC@LonePirate@longleo90@lorddemaxus@lor15@Lothar@Lucas@LPLC@LVB@M37@m3racer123@Macleod@Madhuvan@MadGoose@Maggie@Mango@Mankatha@Manny G@Marek the Jedi@marveldcfox@MCKillswitch123@Marcos12@Mau@Mekanos@Menor Reborn@MG10@Michael Gary Scott@mikeymichael@MikeQ@Minnale101@misafeco@mmacader@Mojoguy@Momori@Moses@Morieris@MovieMan89@motionpic05@MOVIEGUY@Movie nerd@Movies4Life@MrGlass2@MrGamer@MrFanaticGuy34@MrPink@Mr Terrific@Ms Lady Hawk@Mulder@MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie@NamakFiskKa@Napoleon@narniadis@NCsoft@nerves@Nero@nevermore@newbie BO buff@nghtvsn@nguyenkhoi282@nick64@Nikostar@Noctis@Noiret Jak@noknobs@Noodlebug@Notthereverseflash24@Nova@Nublar7@Ohana@Olive@Omario@oMeriMombatti@Omni@OncomingStorm93@Orestes@Ozymandias@parkerthegreat@PanaMovie@PDC1987@peludo@PenguinHyphy@pepsa@PhilipJ2001@picores@Pinacolada@Plain Old Tele@PlatnumRoyce@PKMLover@PNF2187@Porthos@porginchina@Potiki@poweranimals@Purple Minion@Pypa94@Quigley@RamblinRed@raulbalarezo@RealLyre@Rebeccas@reddevil19@Reddroast@redfirebird2008@RexTheMan14@RichWS@ringedmortality@RJ 95@RobrtmanAStarWarsReference@RobinHood26@Ronin46@romeross@Rorschach@Royce@RRA@RthMav@rukaio101@Ryan Reynolds@Ryaner90@Samwise the Brave@Sandro Mazzola@Saul Goodman@Sam@ScareLol@SchumacherFTW@scoobysaurus@setna@Seto Kaiba@seduh7@Seth Irskens@sfran43@Shanks@Shawn@Sheikh@Simionski@Sindreee@Sir Tiki@Skim Beeble@SLAM!@snitch@snarkmachine@SnokesLegs@solaris@SoSaysI@Sophie@SpiderByte@Spidey Freak@Starphanluke@Steele131@stephanos13@Stewart@Sue Denim@TalismanRing@Talkie@Taruseth@tawasal@TerwillikerInst@terrestrial@TestPattern@That One Guy@ThatWaluigiDude@TheDarkKnightOfSteel@The Dark Alfred@The Dark Rock@The Fast and the Furiosa@The Horror of Lucas Films@The GOAT@The Panda@The Stingray@TheDude391@ThePhasmid@Thomas Beck@ThomasNicole@THUNDER BIRD@TigerPaw@TiagoRodrigues@Tinalera@titanic2187@TLK@TMP@Tokugennumataka@Torontofan@Tower@TwoMisfits@Valonqar@vale9001@Vanilla@VanillaSkies@vc2002@ViewerAnon@ViktorLosAngeles@Wadey Wilsoney@Walt Disney@Warhorse@watcher1232@water@Water Bottle@WayneBorg@Webslinger@WeThrones@WeneedtotalkaboutKevin@wildphantom@WittyUsername@Wonder89@WorkingonaName@Wormow@Wrath@WrathOfHan@Xavier@Xillix@xieh tie@XO21@Yandereprime101189@YLF@YM!@YSLDC@ZackM@Zakiyyah6@ZeeSoh@Zeiden16 @screambaby@Kyriacos@Sckathian@Willowra@TheFlatLannister@Clear Sky Master@todos@Sampath Kumar@oenri@StreamBO@danziger@froztking@UKBoxOffice@GOGODanca@adaros@Doffy@nerves@Flip@CaptNathanBrittles

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

My list (will update if I think of more): 

1. Brokeback Mountain 

2. Love, Simon

3. Everything everywhere all at once 

4. All about my mother

5. God's own country

6. Rocketman

7. Boys don't cry

8. My own private Idaho

9. Booksmart

10. Bohemian Rhapsody

11. Call me by your name

12. Handsome Devil

13. Carol

14. Moonlight

15. The power of the dog

16. Pain and glory

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalo said:

About 10 days to go. Probably going to extent the deadline by a week or so. Foreign LGBT content is so much better than most stuff stateside so if you're going to catch up I would say start there. Marco Berger is a great film maker and Latin America has some of the best LGBT content.  

I've only seen his Plan B but I liked it quite a bit.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I've only seen his Plan B but I liked it quite a bit.

Yes it was quite good, My favorite of his is Hawaii though, The Blonde One and Taekwondo are also very good imo. 

Also not Berger, but The Strong Ones directed by Omar Zúñiga is fantastic.

• Thanks 1