Kalo

The Top 100 LGBT+ films of all time countdown! scoring complete! GET READY!!!

The Matrix  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Matrix be eligible?

• Yes
    • No

19 minutes ago, Cap said:

My friends in IRL were talking about the list today cause I mentioned it. All three of us are queer. We were talking about how a lot of the “iconic” queer/gay movies aren’t implicit, but have been adopted by the community for one reason or another. So it can be a blurry line, I feel at times. 

As someone who has run several lists, I tend to say let everything in. And let the chips fall where they lay.

I kind of have to agree with you. when I was a kid, I grew up in a conservative, quite religious home. aside from them watching the occasional Rom-Com with the Gay best friend. I had very little actual exposure to actual LGBT film or gay people in general, it was also the 1990s so it's not like they were making them all the time either. not until I was I hate to say it, but probably 20 or so. So movies like My Best Friends Wedding, and The Little Mermaid spoke to me a lot more then some straight up LGBT films.  although I do remember watching Brokeback and it being one of the first gay films I ever watched and it really really hit me hard. 

I do think if the film resonated with you strongly in a "queer" way you should be able to put it. cause everyone's experience is different. maybe don't go too crazy though. I don't want to see "Die Hard" on the list. come to think of it. I could add "Fantastic Four" and "Cellular" if I went with that completely from my Chris Evans obsessed days :lol:

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Some more FYC's

Great Freedom (2021)

‘Great Freedom’ wins top prize at Sarajevo Film Festival - C7nema.com

Wildhood (2021)

‎Wildhood (2021) directed by Bretten Hannam • Reviews, film + cast ...

The Way He Looks (2014)

The Way He Looks (2014) - Trailer - Gay Themed Movies

Stranger by the Lake (2014)

Stranger by the Lake – film review

The Wedding Banquet (1993)

The Wedding Banquet (1993) - Backdrops — The Movie Database (TMDb)

But I'm a Cheerleader! (1999)

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) | Qwipster | Movie Reviews But I'm a ...

Fox and His Friends (1975)

Fox And His Friends | The New Yorker

Pink Narcissus (1971)

How cult 70s film Pink Narcissus invented the twink | Dazed

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof | play by Williams | Britannica

Rebecca (1940) 

Alfred Hitchcock’s 'Rebecca' is a Masterpiece: 1940 review - NY Daily News

19 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Die Hard" on the list. come to think of it.

Trying to figure out how to adopt die hard as a queer icon now 😂😂😂

And yes to the rest! 

• Thanks 1

Shameless tag that I totally barrowed the names from the WB countdown... you guys like LGBT films right?! :lol:

@21C@35MM-18@3jp@4815162342@75Live@8wombi7@A Star is Orm@abra@abracadabra1998@AdrianL@Alex SciChannel@Alexdube@Amadeus@Anduin@AndyK@AndyLL@AnotherDayAnotherDollar@A Marvel Fanboy@A Star is Orm@a2k@aabattery@Agafin@AJG@ando@AN9815@Arlborn@ACSlater@andersonhoran@AnDr3s@Andreas@AniNate@Aristis@Ash Skywalker@Asyulus@Avatree@BadOlCatSylvester@Barnack@ban1o@belblazer@BestPicturePlutoNash@Blipsy@Blaze Heatnix@bleachella@BoxOfficeFangrl@Box Office Hit@Boxofficerules@BoxOfficeZ@baumer@BeastByTheBay@Biggestgeekever@Bigscrubnus@Brandon Gray@Borf the Borf@Bordlove@Borobudur@Bruce@BruiseCruise@B J@bcf26@BourneFan #1@Black Hawk@Black Panther@Blackout@Brainbug@Caboose@Carlangonz@cannastop@CaptNathanBrittles@catlover@Caesar@Caylu@cdsacken@Cedarpoint1111@cedec0@CJohn@Chaz@Cheddar Please@ChipDerby@cheesypoofs@Claudio@Coldbird@Coneilg93@Claire of Themyscira@Cmasterclay@cmbbox2390@Cap@Captain Craig@Cappoedameron@CrashBandicoot81@cruelintentionsisgoated@Cruel Summer@cookie@CoolioD1@CoolK@cax16@ChD@Catty@Chewy@cdsacken@DAJK@Dandeak2000@Danhjpn@DAR@darkelf@Darth Lehnsherr@Daxtreme@datpepper@Dbui8743@DC Rich@ddddeeee@DeeCee@Deep Wang@Deja23@DlAMONDZ@Doffy@Dominic Draper@Dragoncaine@druv10@Djsoke@DlAMONDZ@DMan7@DoctorWho@Dragon@dudalb@Durden@#ED@EarlyDeadlinePredictions@ecstasy@Eevin@efialtes76@El Gato@el sid@El Squibbonator@Elessar@elcaballero@ElsaRoc@Empire@Eric the Lion@Essem@Ethan Edwards@Ethan Hunt@european1992@excel1@exomassey@expensiveho@Ezen Baklattan@fabiopazzo2@Factcheck@Fancyarcher@FantasticBeasts@filmlover@filmnerdjamie@FilmFincher@Finnick@Firepower@Fielding@Flamengo81@fmpro@franfar@Fullbuster@Galactic Specter@Gamora@Gavin Feng@George Parr@Grebacio@Giesi@Goffe@Godzilla@Gokai Red@Goldenhour36@Gopher@GOXOG@Grebacio@grey ghost@grim22@Hades@harrisonisdead@Hatebox@Heretic@HeyMast@HesAPooka@Hilpkioy@HouseOfTheSun@Horner@hw64@IcarusReborn@IceFire9yt@IdahoJacket@iHeartJames@imbruglia@In XXR We Trust@Inceptionzq@Infernus@infamous5445@interiorgatordecorator@Ipickthiswhiterose@IronJimbo@Issac Newton@Ithil@Jack Nevada@Jake Gittes@Jake Lockley@James@Jamiem@Jandrew@Jason@Jay Beezy@Jayhawk the Hutt@jedijake@Jeight@jb007@JB33@Jiffy@Jim Shorts@JJ-8@jking123@Joel M@John Marston@john2000@John2015@johnfalkon@Johnny Tran@JonahVex@John Rambo@Julian1410@Juby@JustLurking@JWR@K1stpierre@Kalo@katnisscinnaplex@kayumanggi@kitik@KJsooner@Krissykins@Keanu@Knights of Ren@KP1025@krla@Kvikk Lunsj@lab276@Last Man Standing@Ledmonkey96@LegendaryBen@Legion By Night@LeoC@Lestranger@Liiviig 1998@lilmac@Lion Roar@ListenHunnyUrOver@LinksterAC@LonePirate@longleo90@lorddemaxus@lor15@Lothar@Lucas@LPLC@LVB@M37@m3racer123@Macleod@Madhuvan@MadGoose@Maggie@Mango@Mankatha@Manny G@Marek the Jedi@marveldcfox@MCKillswitch123@Marcos12@Mau@Mekanos@Menor Reborn@MG10@Michael Gary Scott@mikeymichael@MikeQ@Minnale101@misafeco@mmacader@Mojoguy@Momori@Moses@Morieris@MovieMan89@motionpic05@MOVIEGUY@Movie nerd@Movies4Life@MrGlass2@MrGamer@MrFanaticGuy34@MrPink@Mr Terrific@Ms Lady Hawk@Mulder@MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie@NamakFiskKa@Napoleon@narniadis@NCsoft@nerves@Nero@nevermore@newbie BO buff@nghtvsn@nguyenkhoi282@nick64@Nikostar@Noctis@Noiret Jak@noknobs@Noodlebug@Notthereverseflash24@Nova@Nublar7@Ohana@Olive@Omario@oMeriMombatti@Omni@OncomingStorm93@Orestes@Ozymandias@parkerthegreat@PanaMovie@PDC1987@peludo@PenguinHyphy@pepsa@PhilipJ2001@picores@Pinacolada@Plain Old Tele@PlatnumRoyce@PKMLover@PNF2187@Porthos@porginchina@Potiki@poweranimals@Purple Minion@Pypa94@Quigley@RamblinRed@raulbalarezo@RealLyre@Rebeccas@reddevil19@Reddroast@redfirebird2008@RexTheMan14@RichWS@ringedmortality@RJ 95@RobrtmanAStarWarsReference@RobinHood26@Ronin46@romeross@Rorschach@Royce@RRA@RthMav@rukaio101@Ryan Reynolds@Ryaner90@Samwise the Brave@Sandro Mazzola@Saul Goodman@Sam@ScareLol@SchumacherFTW@scoobysaurus@setna@Seto Kaiba@seduh7@Seth Irskens@sfran43@Shanks@Shawn@Sheikh@Simionski@Sindreee@Sir Tiki@Skim Beeble@SLAM!@snitch@snarkmachine@SnokesLegs@solaris@SoSaysI@Sophie@SpiderByte@Spidey Freak@Starphanluke@Steele131@stephanos13@Stewart@Sue Denim@TalismanRing@Talkie@Taruseth@tawasal@TerwillikerInst@terrestrial@TestPattern@That One Guy@ThatWaluigiDude@TheDarkKnightOfSteel@The Dark Alfred@The Dark Rock@The Fast and the Furiosa@The Horror of Lucas Films@The GOAT@The Panda@The Stingray@TheDude391@ThePhasmid@Thomas Beck@ThomasNicole@THUNDER BIRD@TigerPaw@TiagoRodrigues@Tinalera@titanic2187@TLK@TMP@Tokugennumataka@Torontofan@Tower@TwoMisfits@Valonqar@vale9001@Vanilla@VanillaSkies@vc2002@ViewerAnon@ViktorLosAngeles@Wadey Wilsoney@Walt Disney@Warhorse@watcher1232@water@Water Bottle@WayneBorg@Webslinger@WeThrones@WeneedtotalkaboutKevin@wildphantom@WittyUsername@Wonder89@WorkingonaName@Wormow@Wrath@WrathOfHan@Xavier@Xillix@xieh tie@XO21@Yandereprime101189@YLF@YM!@YSLDC@ZackM@Zakiyyah6@ZeeSoh@Zeiden16 @screambaby@Kyriacos@Sckathian@Willowra@TheFlatLannister@Clear Sky Master@todos@Sampath Kumar@oenri@StreamBO@danziger@froztking@UKBoxOffice@GOGODanca@adaros@Doffy@nerves@Flip@CaptNathanBrittles

1. The Handmaiden 

2. Happy Together

3. Farewell My Concubine

4. Blue is the Warmest Colour 

Will have to think of the rest but those are likely my top 4. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

you guys like LGBT films right?! 

Haven't really seen that many (and probably not enough to really answer the question properly), sadly, though there are more than a few I do want to see. 

Just now, The GOAT said:

Yes, I've seen Rocketman (2019), the Elton John biopic starring the guy from King's Men, before in theaters. 

That's actually a pretty good movie.

• Like 1

Not sure if I will go do a full 50 movies ranking list but what rapidly came to mind ( I am going for movies that has it as a major theme, not just that happen to have gay caracthers)

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Almost all of Xavier Dolan could be considered but I will go with Mommy

Lover Simon

Tangerine

The perk of being a wallflower

• Like 1

Here's my list: 

1. The Handmaiden (2016)

2. Crush (2022)

3. Love, Simon (2018)

4. The Birdcage (1996)

5. Blue is the Warmest Color (2011)

6. Rocketman (2019)

7. Carol (2015)

8. Call Me By Your Name (2017)

9. Benedetta (2021)

10. Of Age (2022)

11. Booksmart (2019)

12. Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

13. Ammonite (2020)

14. Handsome Devil (2016)

15. Desert Hearts (1985)

16. Happy Together (1997)

17. The Kids Are All Right (2010)

18. Personal Best (1982)

19. Bound (1996)

20. My Own Private Idaho (1991)

21. Heavenly Creatures (1994)

22. Happiest Season (2020)

23. The Watermelon Woman (1996)

24. Moonlight (2016)

25. Other People (2016)

26. The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018)

27. Keep the Lights On (2012)

28. Bros (2022)

29. High Art (1998)

30. I Love You, Phillip Morris (2009)

31. God's Own Country (2017)

32. My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

33. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

34. Behind the Candleabra (2013)

35. Love is Stange (2014)

36. Farewell, My Queen (2012)

37. The Fallout (2021)

38. Cabaret (1972)

39. Bad Education (2004)

40. Mulholland Drive (2001)

41. Parallel Mothers (2021)

42. Go Fish (1994)

43. All About My Mother (1999)

44. Shiva Baby (2020)

45. Pariah (2011)

46. Appropriate Behavior (2014)

47. The Favourite (2018)

48. Pride (2014)

49. Summertime (2015)

50. Saving Face (2004)

• Like 2

1. brokeback mountain
  2. cabaret
  3. some like it hot
  4. la ley del deseo
  5. lanyu (highly recommend this one, one of the most important chinese gay movies)
  6. moonlight
  7. pain and glory
  8. handmaiden
  9. farewell my concubine
  10. potrait of lady on fire
  11. happy together
  12. the wedding banquet
  13. weekend
  14. cat on a hot tin roof

• Like 2

Here are 25 that come to mind as personal bests:

Moonlight (Barry Jenkins)

The Handmaiden (Park Chan-wook)

Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)

Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai)

Bound (The Wachowski Sisters)

Liz and the Blue Bird (Naoko Yamada)

Blue is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche)

The Matrix (The Wachowski Sisters) (it's a trans narrative so I'm counting it)

Call Me by Your Name (Luca Guadagnino)

Paris is Burning (Jennie Livingston)

Beau Travail (Claire Denis)

Blue (Derek Jarman)

But I'm a Cheerleader (Jamie Babbit)

The Watermelon Women (Cheryl Dunye)

Tangerine (Sean Baker)

Milk (Gus van Sant)

Water Lilies (Celine Sciamma)

Flee (Jonas Poher Rasmussen)

Adolescence of Utena (Kunihiko Ikuhara)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie III: Rebellion (Akiyuki Shinbo and Yukihiro Miyamoto)

Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson)

Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock)

The Favourite (Yorgos Lathimos)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Celine Sciamma)

Also while I don't consider it a "queer film" per say, I find Evangelion 3.0 (Hidaeki Anno) to be remarkably queer in it's themes and ideas, and has a main relationship that, as a bi man, resonated quite deeply with me so I guess add that as well.

Edited by LegionWrex
typos
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

Based. Lots of great queer anime out there tbh, a lot of my favourite LGBTQ stories are from anime.

Yes. I have read many manga and watched those anime instead of movies