Cap

30 for 30: 1993 Retrospective List | Submissions Closed | 31 Lists Received | Reveals Start This Weekend

Do we include movies the had soft releases/festival appearances in 1992, and then their wide release in the USA was in 1993  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes!
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Hildagarde25 said:

Really torn between ranking based on my personal favorites and ranking based on my movies I think are generally great regardless if they're one of my favs. There are some movies that would rank high on both lists, but there are others where I think the movie is great but I'm not the biggest fan, and then there are movies I don't think are "good" but I love them anyway. 

Honestly? Just got with your gut. There is no real right or wrong way to do it, and overthinking it tends to just be that… overthinking it. 

I know when I make my lists, I tend to power rank one or two of my favorites in the Top 3 or Top 5. Captain America: The Winter Solider is always going to be #1/Full Ten Points for the BOT Top 100 followed by Singin In The Rain at #2. 

After that I go based on a weird mix of “things I think the boards like, things I know my friends like, movies I think need more love/might be over looked, and actual order of my favorite movies”

Like I said, just my gut. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, baumer said:

Fugitive I think it's going to go down as a timeless classic. I think you could probably watch that film 30 years from now it will still be as perfect as it is today and is perfect as it was in 1993.

lolololo @ this after our exchange in the weekend thread :bop:

22 hours ago, baumer said:

Dave is another forgotten gem from 1993.

Oh this we can agree on. Fabulous movie.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, Porthos said:

Fun Fact:

My online nom de plume comes from the fact that I was told on more than one occasion that I resembled Oliver Platt's Porthos from Disney's 1993 The Three Musketeers.  

As such, that film will always have a special place in my heart even if it isn't a particularly faithful adaptation.

(besides, the film is so.... fun that I find I don't care if it isn't a particularly faithful adaptation)

((no, really, worth watching for Tim Curry's performance alone as well as Platt's)

Watched this for the first time since I was a little kid and this was just a pure silly candy bar of a movie. Very "baby's first swashbuckler" but I had fun with it 

• Like 2

1) Indian Summer

2) Groundhog Day

3) The Fugitive

4) Tombstone

5) Dave

6) Schindler's List

😎 7) In the Line of Fire

😎 The Firm

9) Falling Down

10) A Bronx Tale

11) Nowhere to Run

12) Jurassic park

13) Rudy

14) Untamed Heart

15) Man Without a Face

16) True Romance

17) Mrs. Doubtfire

18) Indecent Proposal

19) Grumpy Old Men

20) Pelican Brief

21) Demolition Man

22) Malice

23) Sleepless in Seattle

24) Philadelphia

25) Alive

26) Carlito's Way

27) Dragon the Bruce Lee story

28) Hot shots Part Deux

29) In the name of the Father 

30) Free Willy

😎

• Like 3

Just now, Cap said:

When you update your list, don’t forget to PM me ;)

I definitely will. The list is still a work in progress. There's another movie that I wanted to add to it and now that I'm taking out a few Good Men it makes it easier.

• Like 1

Almost missed this. Damn what a year. More great films in one year than in last 10 years combined. Lately, I've watched more movies from 80s and 90s, a bit from 2000s, and a bunch from 70s and before. It striking how the writing was so much better and understanding for the ageless story structure.

I know, I know, could be "everything was better before" syndrome but no. I dare everyone watch these 1993 movies and compare the character arcs, story structures, and how timeless potrayls of human conditions they had compared to the sausage factory of modern Hollywood.

• Like 2

Spoiler

@21C@35MM-18@3jp@4815162342@75Live@8wombi7@A Star is Orm@abra@abracadabra1998@AdrianL@Alex SciChannel@Alexdube@Amadeus@Anduin@AndyK@AndyLL@AnotherDayAnotherDollar@A Marvel Fanboy@A Star is Orm@a2k@aabattery@Agafin@AJG@ando@AN9815@Arlborn@ACSlater@andersonhoran@AnDr3s@Andreas@AniNate@Aristis@Ash Skywalker@Asyulus@Avatree@BadOlCatSylvester@Barnack@ban1o@belblazer@BestPicturePlutoNash@Blipsy@Blaze Heatnix@bleachella@BoxOfficeFangrl@Box Office Hit@Boxofficerules@BoxOfficeZ@baumer@BeastByTheBay@Biggestgeekever@Bigscrubnus@Brandon Gray@Borf the Borf@Bordlove@Borobudur@Bruce@BruiseCruise@B J@bcf26@BourneFan #1@Black Hawk@Black Panther@Blackout@Brainbug@Caboose@Carlangonz@cannastop@CaptNathanBrittles@catlover@Caesar@Caylu@cdsacken@Cedarpoint1111@cedec0@CJohn@Chaz@Cheddar Please@ChipDerby@cheesypoofs@Claudio@Coldbird@Coneilg93@Claire of Themyscira@Cmasterclay@cmbbox2390@Cap@Captain Craig@Cappoedameron@CrashBandicoot81@cruelintentionsisgoated@Cruel Summer@cookie@CoolioD1@CoolK@cax16@ChD@Catty@Chewy@cdsacken@DAJK@Dandeak2000@Danhjpn@DAR@darkelf@Darth Lehnsherr@Daxtreme@datpepper@Dbui8743@DC Rich@ddddeeee@DeeCee@Deep Wang@Deja23@DlAMONDZ@Doffy@Dominic Draper@Dragoncaine@druv10@Djsoke@DlAMONDZ@DMan7@DoctorWho@Dragon@dudalb@Durden@#ED@EarlyDeadlinePredictions@ecstasy@Eevin@efialtes76@El Gato@el sid@El Squibbonator@Elessar@elcaballero@ElsaRoc@Empire@Eric the Lion@Essem@Ethan Edwards@Ethan Hunt@european1992@excel1@exomassey@expensiveho@Ezen Baklattan@fabiopazzo2@Factcheck@Fancyarcher@FantasticBeasts@filmlover@filmnerdjamie@FilmFincher@Finnick@Firepower@Fielding@Flamengo81@fmpro@franfar@Fullbuster@Galactic Specter@Gamora@Gavin Feng@George Parr@Grebacio@Giesi@Goffe@Godzilla@Gokai Red@Goldenhour36@Gopher@GOXOG@Grebacio@grey ghost@grim22@Hades@harrisonisdead@Hatebox@Heretic@HeyMast@HesAPooka@Hilpkioy@HouseOfTheSun@Horner@hw64@IcarusReborn@IceFire9yt@IdahoJacket@iHeartJames@imbruglia@In XXR We Trust@Inceptionzq@Infernus@infamous5445@interiorgatordecorator@Ipickthiswhiterose@IronJimbo@Issac Newton@Ithil@Jack Nevada@Jake Gittes@Jake Lockley@James@Jamiem@Jandrew@Jason@Jay Beezy@Jayhawk the Hutt@jedijake@Jeight@jb007@JB33@Jiffy@Jim Shorts@JJ-8@jking123@Joel M@John Marston@john2000@John2015@johnfalkon@Johnny Tran@JonahVex@John Rambo@Julian1410@Juby@JustLurking@JWR@K1stpierre@Kalo@katnisscinnaplex@kayumanggi@kitik@KJsooner@Krissykins@Keanu@Knights of Ren@KP1025@krla@Kvikk Lunsj@lab276@Last Man Standing@Ledmonkey96@LegendaryBen@Legion By Night@LeoC@Lestranger@Liiviig 1998@lilmac@Lion Roar@ListenHunnyUrOver@LinksterAC@LonePirate@longleo90@lorddemaxus@lor15@Lothar@Lucas@LPLC@LVB@M37@m3racer123@Macleod@Madhuvan@MadGoose@Maggie@Mango@Mankatha@Manny G@Marek the Jedi@marveldcfox@MCKillswitch123@Marcos12@Mau@Mekanos@Menor Reborn@MG10@Michael Gary Scott@mikeymichael@MikeQ@Minnale101@misafeco@mmacader@Mojoguy@Momori@Moses@Morieris@MovieMan89@motionpic05@MOVIEGUY@Movie nerd@Movies4Life@MrGlass2@MrGamer@MrFanaticGuy34@MrPink@Mr Terrific@Ms Lady Hawk@Mulder@MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie@NamakFiskKa@Napoleon@narniadis@NCsoft@nerves@Nero@nevermore@newbie BO buff@nghtvsn@nguyenkhoi282@nick64@Nikostar@Noctis@Noiret Jak@noknobs@Noodlebug@Notthereverseflash24@Nova@Nublar7@Ohana@Olive@Omario@oMeriMombatti@Omni@OncomingStorm93@Orestes@Ozymandias@parkerthegreat@PanaMovie@PDC1987@peludo@PenguinHyphy@pepsa@PhilipJ2001@picores@Pinacolada@Plain Old Tele@PlatnumRoyce@PKMLover@PNF2187@Porthos@porginchina@Potiki@poweranimals@Purple Minion@Pypa94@Quigley@RamblinRed@raulbalarezo@RealLyre@Rebeccas@reddevil19@Reddroast@redfirebird2008@RexTheMan14@RichWS@ringedmortality@RJ 95@RobrtmanAStarWarsReference@RobinHood26@Ronin46@romeross@Rorschach@Royce@RRA@RthMav@rukaio101@Ryan Reynolds@Ryaner90@Samwise the Brave@Sandro Mazzola@Saul Goodman@Sam@ScareLol@SchumacherFTW@scoobysaurus@setna@Seto Kaiba@seduh7@Seth Irskens@sfran43@Shanks@Shawn@Sheikh@Simionski@Sindreee@Sir Tiki@Skim Beeble@SLAM!@snitch@snarkmachine@SnokesLegs@solaris@SoSaysI@Sophie@SpiderByte@Spidey Freak@Starphanluke@Steele131@stephanos13@Stewart@Sue Denim@TalismanRing@Talkie@Taruseth@tawasal@TerwillikerInst@terrestrial@TestPattern@That One Guy@ThatWaluigiDude@TheDarkKnightOfSteel@The Dark Alfred@The Dark Rock@The Fast and the Furiosa@The Horror of Lucas Films@The GOAT@The Panda@The Stingray@TheDude391@ThePhasmid@Thomas Beck@ThomasNicole@THUNDER BIRD@TigerPaw@TiagoRodrigues@Tinalera@titanic2187@TLK@TMP@Tokugennumataka@Torontofan@Tower@TwoMisfits@Valonqar@vale9001@Vanilla@VanillaSkies@vc2002@ViewerAnon@ViktorLosAngeles@Wadey Wilsoney@Walt Disney@Warhorse@watcher1232@water@Water Bottle@WayneBorg@Webslinger@WeThrones@WeneedtotalkaboutKevin@wildphantom@WittyUsername@Wonder89@WorkingonaName@Wormow@Wrath@WrathOfHan@Xavier@Xillix@xieh tie@XO21@Yandereprime101189@YLF@YM!@YSLDC@ZackM@Zakiyyah6@ZeeSoh@Zeiden16 @screambaby@Kyriacos@Sckathian@Willowra@TheFlatLannister@Clear Sky Master@todos@Sampath Kumar@oenri@StreamBO@danziger@froztking@UKBoxOffice@GOGODanca@adaros@Doffy@nerves@Flip@CaptNathanBrittles

Two week heads up of "Hey, these are due September 15". :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cap said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Two week heads up of "Hey, these are due September 15". :)

Just watched In the Line of Fire last night, I'm doing my catch-up

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Just watched In the Line of Fire last night, I'm doing my catch-up

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

I watched that last week! Malkovich was robbed of an Oscar!

I have the 1993 three musketeers on. It’s a riot. We need to make more campy bad movies again that are “so bad they are good”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

I have the 1993 three musketeers on. It’s a riot. We need to make more campy bad movies again that are “so bad they are good”

Malkovic, DiCaprio, TLJ, Fiennes... what an all-time best supporting actor line-up. I'm partial to Fiennes personally but literally could not go wrong with any of those four

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cap said:

Tim Curry was in a completely different movie from everyone else 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Malkovic, DiCaprio, TLJ, Fiennes... what an all-time best supporting actor line-up. I'm partial to Fiennes personally but literally could not go wrong with any of those four

There was one massive omission from best supporting actor that year and that was Val Kilmer for playing doc holliday in tombstone. One of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 Philadelphia

2 Baraka

3 Dazed and Confused

4 Jurassic Park

5 Schindler's List

6 The Firm

7 True Romance

8 Groundhog Day

9 The Return of the Living Dead III

10 A Perfect World

11 Short Cuts

12 The Fugitive

13 Army of Darkness

14 The Age of Innocence

15 Dave

16 Mrs Doubtfire

17 Three Colour: Blue

18 Sleepless In Seattle

19 The Nightmare Before Xmas

20 Carlito's Way

21 A Bronx Tale

22 Cronos

23 Poetic Justice

24 Falling Down

25 Faraway, So Close!

26 The Secret Garden

27 Kika

28 In The Name of The Father

29 Benny and Joon

30 Demolition Man

• Like 3

Hello!

So I've got a couple lists coming in.  We have a few movies the had soft releases/festival appearances in 1992, and then their wide release in the USA was in 1993.  These include, but not limited to:

El Mariachi

• September 15, 1992 (TIFF) / January 8, 1993 (Sundance) / February 26, 1993 (United States)

Army of Darkness

• October 9, 1992 (Sitges) / February 19, 1993 (United States)

Strictly Ballroom

• 20 August 1992 (Australia) / February 12, 1993 (United States)

I only got two response when I asked this before, and they were different answers, so I tossed up a poll.  

As of right now, I'm inclined to include them.  But I will go with the group.