Cap

30 for 30: 1993 Retrospective List | Submissions Closed | 31 Lists Received | Reveals Start This Weekend

Do we include movies the had soft releases/festival appearances in 1992, and then their wide release in the USA was in 1993  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes!
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

With little time to spare, my presumably final list.

1. The Age of Innocence 
2. Groundhog Day
3. The Fugitive 
4. Schindler’s List 
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas 
6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 
7. Naked 
8. The Wedding Banquet 
9. Jurassic Park 
10. Much Ado About Nothing 
11. Three Colors Blue 
12. Carlito’s Way
13. Matinee 
14. Army of Darkness 
15. The Remains of the Day
16. In The Name of the Father
17. A Perfect World
18. Red Rock West 
19. Searching For Bobby Fischer
20. True Romance 
21. Tombstone
22. Cronos 
23. The Joy Luck Club
24. Matinee 
25. Mrs. Doubtfire 
26. Fearless 
27. Homeward Bound
28. Sleepless in Seattle 
29. Falling Down 
30. Dave

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

1 Schindler's List
2 The Wedding Banquet
3 Falling Down
4 In The Name Of The Father
5 Groundhog Day
6 The Fugitive
7 Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
8 The Age Of Innocence
9 Short Cuts
10 Searching For Bobby Fischer
11 True Romance
12 Philadelphia
13 Gettysburg
14 Tombstone
15 Ninja Scroll
16 Arizona Dream
17 The Remains Of The Day
18 Naked
19 Mrs. Doubtfire
20 The Nightmare Before Christmas
21 Jurassic Park
22 Blood In, Blood Out
23 The Joy Luck Club
24 The Piano
25 Ramayana: The Legend Of Prince Rama
26 Dazed and Confused
27 Cool Runnings
28 Much Ado About Nothing
29 Iron Monkey
30 A Bronx Tale
  • Like 3

I discovered this retrospective list voting too late and therefore I couldn't catch up on watching some films and I don't want to nominate them only because I know that they are famous. Even if they would probably be on my list like e.g. Philadelphia and many others. So at the end I had only 18 titles on my list and have to send a list of 15.

1. Cliffhanger
2. Gilbert Grape
3. Schindler's List
4. Demolition Man
5. Nightmare before Christmas (and Corpse Bride is even more sweet)
6. The Man Without a Face
7. Cool Runnings
8. Last Action Hero
9. Jurassic Park
10. The Firm
11. Hot Shots! Part Deux
12. Falling Down
13. The Pelican Brief
14. Sommersby
15. Red Rock West

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, Fancyarcher said:

With little time to spare, my presumably final list.

1. The Age of Innocence 
2. Groundhog Day
3. The Fugitive 
4. Schindler’s List 
6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 
7. Naked 
8. The Wedding Banquet 
9. Jurassic Park 
10. Much Ado About Nothing 
11. Three Colors Blue 
12. Carlito’s Way
13. Matinee 
14. Army of Darkness 
15. The Remains of the Day
16. In The Name of the Father
17. A Perfect World
18. Red Rock West 
19. Searching For Bobby Fischer
20. True Romance 
21. Army of Darkness 
22. Cronos 
23. The Joy Luck Club
24. Matinee 
25. Mrs. Doubtfire 
26. Fearless 
27. Homeward Bound
28. Sleepless in Seattle 
29. Falling Down 
30. Dave

Army of Darkness is such a great film, it deserves to be listed twice! 👍

(sorry, this has been eating at me ever since I noticed it yesterday and I decided to save @Cap some time 😉 )

((is a really good film though))

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

(sorry, this has been eating at me ever since I noticed it yesterday and I decided to save @Cap some time 😉 )

and this is why you have the lists organized in like three different ways. Cause otherwise it would be starting over. 

it’s fine @Fancyarcher I’ll just put hocus-pocus  for you!!!! 😂😂😂😂

(also, Mr. I do not send that list cause I think rankings art something I am not participating in, but my name is Literally from a movie from 1993, where is your 15 movies!!!!!! 😘)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, el sid said:

I discovered this retrospective list voting too late and therefore I couldn't catch up on watching some films and I don't want to nominate them only because I know that they are famous. Even if they would probably be on my list like e.g. Philadelphia and many others. So at the end I had only 18 titles on my list and have to send a list of 15.

1. Cliffhanger
2. Gilbert Grape
3. Schindler's List
4. Demolition Man
5. Nightmare before Christmas (and Corpse Bride is even more sweet)
6. The Man Without a Face
7. Cool Runnings
8. Last Action Hero
9. Jurassic Park
10. The Firm
11. Hot Shots! Part Deux
12. Falling Down
13. The Pelican Brief
14. Sommersby
15. Red Rock West

not too late because you still got something in! Also, the list of 15 are super helpful. Because with their different points, it’s really making that there is no ties in the top. I don’t think our first tie happens until like around 35. So every list counts!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cap said:

(also, Mr. I do not send that list cause I think rankings art something I am not participating in, but my name is Literally from a movie from 1993, where is your 15 movies!!!!!! 😘)

1] Comparison

2] Is

3] the

4] Thief

5] of

6] Three Musketeers

7] Joy.

I'll get the other eight later. 😘

(hey, it's 3am in the morning here right now and I randomly checked the board before heading to bed, so that's as good of an attempt at comedy as yer gonna get 😉)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

4 hours ago, Cap said:

not too late because you still got something in! Also, the list of 15 are super helpful. Because with their different points, it’s really making that there is no ties in the top. I don’t think our first tie happens until like around 35. So every list counts!

Sorry, was trying to edit my list, and just accidentally doubled down on a film. 

Really, there are too many movies I like from 1993, which was the biggest issue with making this list. 😄

• Like 1

1. Dazed and Confused

2. Naked

3. Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould

4. Much Ado About Nothing

5. The Age of Innocence

6. King of the Hill

7. Short Cuts

8. Schindler's List

9. Groundhog Day

10. The Remains of the Day

11. Matinee

12. The Fugitive

13. Hard Target

14. Carlito's Way

15. Calendar

16. What's Eating Gilbert Grape

17. Red Rock West

18. The Nightmare Before Christmas

19. Malice

20. Clean, Shaven

21. The Young Girls Turn 25

22. Iron Monkey

23. Jurassic Park

24. Body Snatchers

25. The Piano

26. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

27. Cliffhanger

28. In the Line of Fire

29. Three Colors: Blue

30. The Heroic Trio

• Like 4

Spoiler

@21C@35MM-18@3jp@4815162342@75Live@8wombi7@A Star is Orm@abra@abracadabra1998@AdrianL@Alex SciChannel@Alexdube@Amadeus@Anduin@AndyK@AndyLL@AnotherDayAnotherDollar@A Marvel Fanboy@A Star is Orm@a2k@aabattery@Agafin@AJG@ando@AN9815@Arlborn@ACSlater@andersonhoran@AnDr3s@Andreas@AniNate@Aristis@Ash Skywalker@Asyulus@Avatree@BadOlCatSylvester@Barnack@ban1o@belblazer@BestPicturePlutoNash@Blipsy@Blaze Heatnix@bleachella@BoxOfficeFangrl@Box Office Hit@Boxofficerules@BoxOfficeZ@baumer@BeastByTheBay@Biggestgeekever@Bigscrubnus@Brandon Gray@Borf the Borf@Bordlove@Borobudur@Bruce@BruiseCruise@B J@bcf26@BourneFan #1@Black Hawk@Black Panther@Blackout@Brainbug@Caboose@Carlangonz@cannastop@CaptNathanBrittles@catlover@Caesar@Caylu@cdsacken@Cedarpoint1111@cedec0@CJohn@Chaz@Cheddar Please@ChipDerby@cheesypoofs@Claudio@Coldbird@Coneilg93@Claire of Themyscira@Cmasterclay@cmbbox2390@Cap@Captain Craig@Cappoedameron@CrashBandicoot81@cruelintentionsisgoated@Cruel Summer@cookie@CoolioD1@CoolK@cax16@ChD@Catty@Chewy@cdsacken@DAJK@Dandeak2000@Danhjpn@DAR@darkelf@Darth Lehnsherr@Daxtreme@datpepper@Dbui8743@DC Rich@ddddeeee@DeeCee@Deep Wang@Deja23@DlAMONDZ@Doffy@Dominic Draper@Dragoncaine@druv10@Djsoke@DlAMONDZ@DMan7@DoctorWho@Dragon@dudalb@Durden@#ED@EarlyDeadlinePredictions@ecstasy@Eevin@efialtes76@El Gato@el sid@El Squibbonator@Elessar@elcaballero@ElsaRoc@Empire@Eric the Lion@Essem@Ethan Edwards@Ethan Hunt@european1992@excel1@exomassey@expensiveho@Ezen Baklattan@fabiopazzo2@Factcheck@Fancyarcher@FantasticBeasts@filmlover@filmnerdjamie@FilmFincher@Finnick@Firepower@Fielding@Flamengo81@fmpro@franfar@Fullbuster@Galactic Specter@Gamora@Gavin Feng@George Parr@Grebacio@Giesi@Goffe@Godzilla@Gokai Red@Goldenhour36@Gopher@GOXOG@Grebacio@grey ghost@grim22@Hades@harrisonisdead@Hatebox@Heretic@HeyMast@HesAPooka@Hilpkioy@HouseOfTheSun@Horner@hw64@IcarusReborn@IceFire9yt@IdahoJacket@iHeartJames@imbruglia@In XXR We Trust@Inceptionzq@Infernus@infamous5445@interiorgatordecorator@Ipickthiswhiterose@IronJimbo@Issac Newton@Ithil@Jack Nevada@Jake Gittes@Jake Lockley@James@Jamiem@Jandrew@Jason@Jay Beezy@Jayhawk the Hutt@jedijake@Jeight@jb007@JB33@Jiffy@Jim Shorts@JJ-8@jking123@Joel M@John Marston@john2000@John2015@johnfalkon@Johnny Tran@JonahVex@John Rambo@Julian1410@Juby@JustLurking@JWR@K1stpierre@Kalo@katnisscinnaplex@kayumanggi@kitik@KJsooner@Krissykins@Keanu@Knights of Ren@KP1025@krla@Kvikk Lunsj@lab276@Last Man Standing@Ledmonkey96@LegendaryBen@Legion By Night@LeoC@Lestranger@Liiviig 1998@lilmac@Lion Roar@ListenHunnyUrOver@LinksterAC@LonePirate@longleo90@lorddemaxus@lor15@Lothar@Lucas@LPLC@LVB@M37@m3racer123@Macleod@Madhuvan@MadGoose@Maggie@Mango@Mankatha@Manny G@Marek the Jedi@marveldcfox@MCKillswitch123@Marcos12@Mau@Mekanos@Menor Reborn@MG10@Michael Gary Scott@mikeymichael@MikeQ@Minnale101@misafeco@mmacader@Mojoguy@Momori@Moses@Morieris@MovieMan89@motionpic05@MOVIEGUY@Movie nerd@Movies4Life@MrGlass2@MrGamer@MrFanaticGuy34@MrPink@Mr Terrific@Ms Lady Hawk@Mulder@MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie@NamakFiskKa@Napoleon@narniadis@NCsoft@nerves@Nero@nevermore@newbie BO buff@nghtvsn@nguyenkhoi282@nick64@Nikostar@Noctis@Noiret Jak@noknobs@Noodlebug@Notthereverseflash24@Nova@Nublar7@Ohana@Olive@Omario@oMeriMombatti@Omni@OncomingStorm93@Orestes@Ozymandias@parkerthegreat@PanaMovie@PDC1987@peludo@PenguinHyphy@pepsa@PhilipJ2001@picores@Pinacolada@Plain Old Tele@PlatnumRoyce@PKMLover@PNF2187@Porthos@porginchina@Potiki@poweranimals@Purple Minion@Pypa94@Quigley@RamblinRed@raulbalarezo@RealLyre@Rebeccas@reddevil19@Reddroast@redfirebird2008@RexTheMan14@RichWS@ringedmortality@RJ 95@RobrtmanAStarWarsReference@RobinHood26@Ronin46@romeross@Rorschach@Royce@RRA@RthMav@rukaio101@Ryan Reynolds@Ryaner90@Samwise the Brave@Sandro Mazzola@Saul Goodman@Sam@ScareLol@SchumacherFTW@scoobysaurus@setna@Seto Kaiba@seduh7@Seth Irskens@sfran43@Shanks@Shawn@Sheikh@Simionski@Sindreee@Sir Tiki@Skim Beeble@SLAM!@snitch@snarkmachine@SnokesLegs@solaris@SoSaysI@Sophie@SpiderByte@Spidey Freak@Starphanluke@Steele131@stephanos13@Stewart@Sue Denim@TalismanRing@Talkie@Taruseth@tawasal@TerwillikerInst@terrestrial@TestPattern@That One Guy@ThatWaluigiDude@TheDarkKnightOfSteel@The Dark Alfred@The Dark Rock@The Fast and the Furiosa@The Horror of Lucas Films@The GOAT@The Panda@The Stingray@TheDude391@ThePhasmid@Thomas Beck@ThomasNicole@THUNDER BIRD@TigerPaw@TiagoRodrigues@Tinalera@titanic2187@TLK@TMP@Tokugennumataka@Torontofan@Tower@TwoMisfits@Valonqar@vale9001@Vanilla@VanillaSkies@vc2002@ViewerAnon@ViktorLosAngeles@Wadey Wilsoney@Walt Disney@Warhorse@watcher1232@water@Water Bottle@WayneBorg@Webslinger@WeThrones@WeneedtotalkaboutKevin@wildphantom@WittyUsername@Wonder89@WorkingonaName@Wormow@Wrath@WrathOfHan@Xavier@Xillix@xieh tie@XO21@Yandereprime101189@YLF@YM!@YSLDC@ZackM@Zakiyyah6@ZeeSoh@Zeiden16 @screambaby@Kyriacos@Sckathian@Willowra@TheFlatLannister@Clear Sky Master@todos@Sampath Kumar@oenri@StreamBO@danziger@froztking@UKBoxOffice@GOGODanca@adaros@Doffy@nerves@Flip@CaptNathanBrittles

Thank you to EVERYONE who has submitted so far.  I have 23 lists! Since I won't start posting the results until Wednesday, and  I am fishing for 30 (Since this is 30 for 30), I will accept any list of 15 or 30 until basically I open the Results Thread on Wednesday or early Thursday.

Again, we have a SUPER tight race.  There's some 😱 in here.

• Like 2

1. Dazed and Confused

2. The Age of Innocence

3. Rudy

4. Schindler's List

5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

6. Jurassic Park

7. Shortcuts

8. Naked

9. Groundhog Day

10. The Long Day Closes

11. Sleepless in Seattle

12. Philadelphia

13. Carlito's Way

14. Addams Family Values

15. Blue

16. Dead Alive

17. M. Butterfly

18. Perfect World

19. Manhattan Murder Mystery

20. What's Eating Gilbert Grape

21. Super Mario Bros

22. Another Girl on the IRT

23. Malice

24. Body Snatchers

25. The Fugitive

26. Hard Target

27. Jack the Bear

28. The Piano

29. Menace II Society

30. This Boy's Life

• Like 3

1. The Age of Innocence

2. Naked

3. Schindler's List

4. The Fugitive

5. Madadayo

6. Jurassic Park 

7. The Wedding Banquet

8. The Piano

9. Dazed and Confused

10. Hot Shots Part Deux

11. Much Ado About Nothing

12. The Heroic Trio

13. In The Line of Fire

14. Sonatine

15. Farewell My Concubine

• Like 3

A little birdie told me that We Need A Hero to get this list to exactly 30 for 30.

So if any of y'alls have been finalizing a list or not quite done with it or whatever, finish that puppy off (lop it off at 15 if you have to) and send it to Cap, pronto!

Coz, trust me all, you DO NOT want *me* to be List Number Thirty.

No.  Really.  Trust me on this one. :lol: 

• Heart 1

Sent in a Top 20! Lot of nostalgia picks and still ended up leaving off some stuff that would've been worthy of inclusion but this was such a strong year. Definitely one that really got me into movies.

1. Schindler's List
2. Jurassic Park
3. The Fugitive
4. The Age of Innocence
6. Groundhog Day
7. Sleepless in Seattle
8. Mrs. Doubtfire
9. Dazed and Confused
10. The Piano
11. Philadelphia
12. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
13. In the Line of Fire
14. Dave
15. What's Love Got to Do With It?

16. Much Ado About Nothing
17. Cool Runnings
18. Tombstone
19. Manhattan Murder Mystery
20. Addams Family Values

• Like 3

Even though I don't have the fugitive at number one, I hope it wins for this list. It's also great to see falling down get some mentions in a few lists. Too bad, I'm assuming, a lot of people here haven't seen Indian summer. It's such a fantastic film and I'm confident that if more people had seen it it would have made a few lists.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Even though I don't have the fugitive at number one, I hope it wins for this list. It's also great to see falling down get some mentions in a few lists. Too bad, I'm assuming, a lot of people here haven't seen Indian summer. It's such a fantastic film and I'm confident that if more people had seen it it would have made a few lists.

You will know starting this weekend

• Heart 1